Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range for UK - will it happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering the MY right now, but if I'm perfectly honest, I don't need the long range. Sure, its great to have, as well as the dual motor but honestly, in day to day driving, for me anyway, Tesla are nippy enough with 1 motor.

The MY SR is something that appeals to me. I know I'm asking a question without an answer, but just throwing it out there as a discussion point that for Europeans, there would arguably be higher demand for an MY in SR form. Isn't that the case for the model 3, with standard range being the most popular?

My guess is that Tesla might eek out as much sales as possible for LR/Perf and then move to SR once initial demand has eased off?

Would be interested in other peoples view. Tesla plan to increase car sales by 50% or more every year, so one way to help with that would be to release a MY SR.

Thoughts?

Reactions: MD70
Why do you think they will have a MY SR in the UK. At the moment (afaik) the only place you can get one is china. In the US I think they originally had a MY SR as an option but have never actually shipped one and have now cancelled orders so why do you think they will have an MY SR - especially if they would have to ship from china.

Why do you think they will have a MY SR in the UK. At the moment (afaik) the only place you can get one is china. In the US I think they originally had a MY SR as an option but have never actually shipped one and have now cancelled orders so why do you think they will have an MY SR - especially if they would have to ship from china.
For a couple of reasons really, both linked

They want to increase sales 50% at least every year. To address the added competition in Europe and ensure continue sales growth, a cheaper MY seems a pretty obvious way to do that. If its more affordable, even more people would buy it. That's my logic anyway.

The other thing being that the MY was released for order in the UK in Q4 last year, October I think, but up until last week, you could still get one for March delivery, which kind of indicates that the initial demand (certainly here in UK) hasn't been huge. Otherwise the initial UK MY release would have sold out in Q4, yet it took until last week to sell them all. I'm kind of thinking this is an indicator that once the initial 'new release' demand starts to ease, they'll then bring in the MY SR, as that's what successful over here in Europe.

For a couple of reasons really, both linked

They want to increase sales 50% at least every year. To address the added competition in Europe and ensure continue sales growth, a cheaper MY seems a pretty obvious way to do that. If its more affordable, even more people would buy it. That's my logic anyway.

The other thing being that the MY was released for order in the UK in Q4 last year, October I think, but up until last week, you could still get one for March delivery, which kind of indicates that the initial demand (certainly here in UK) hasn't been huge. Otherwise the initial UK MY release would have sold out in Q4, yet it took until last week to sell them all. I'm kind of thinking this is an indicator that once the initial 'new release' demand starts to ease, they'll then bring in the MY SR, as that's what successful over here in Europe.

I think you are confused - Europe only has Long Range and Performance, US only has Long Range and Performance - the only place that has a Standard Range Model Y is China. They haven't brought out a Standard Range in France, Germany or Norway (checked on the tesla website to see what was available to order in each country)

I think you are confused - Europe only has Long Range and Performance, US only has Long Range and Performance - the only place that has a Standard Range Model Y is China. They haven't brought out a Standard Range in France, Germany or Norway (checked on the tesla website to see what was available to order in each country)
I'm not confused, I think perhaps you've just misinterpreted what I've said?

I'm aware that MY SR doesn't exist in Europe. I'm not sure how you gleaned that assumption from my posts.

Edit: Yes, I do see how you picked that up from my posts.

I should have said, the SR in general is successful in Europe, as it looks like I meant that MY SR is doing well. My bad, I didn't articulate that too well!

I'm not confused, I think perhaps you've just misinterpreted what I've said?

I'm aware that MY SR doesn't exist in Europe. I'm not sure how you gleaned that assumption from my posts.

Edit: Yes, I do see how you picked that up from my posts.

I should have said, the SR in general is successful in Europe, as it looks like I meant that MY SR is doing well. My bad, I didn't articulate that too well!
Yup but the Model 3 SR is also successful in the US and they actually removed the Model Y SR as an option there so I'm not sure how valid that logic is.

Reactions: 2020M3SR
Yeah, that's a good point about the MY SR not being available in USA, despite the M3 SR doing so well. My logic was around the fact that I thought the MY would have sold like hot cakes once released over here, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hence, me wondering whether they'll bring in the SR MY over here.

Trying to 2nd guess what Tesla is going to do is never going to work anyway. Its just that fear of spending more on a car that gives me acceleration and range that I don't have any great desire for personally, and then sods law, the minute you buy it, they release the SR version, the one you really want!

Yeah, that's a good point about the MY SR not being available in USA, despite the M3 SR doing so well. My logic was around the fact that I thought the MY would have sold like hot cakes once released over here, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hence, me wondering whether they'll bring in the SR MY over here.

Trying to 2nd guess what Tesla is going to do is never going to work anyway. Its just that fear of spending more on a car that gives me acceleration and range that I don't have any great desire for personally, and then sods law, the minute you buy it, they release the SR version, the one you really want!
I thought the MY would have sold like hot cakes once released over here, but that doesn't seem to be the case

??????? It's only been a few days, massively in demand, it just depends on deliveries. People in UK will be complaining about Model Y waits for years, even if only LR and P sold

Tesla is limited in capacity, parts (eg chips) - so best to make the expensive higher profit ones. Tesla can't make more, that's partly why less emphasis on Model 2/Q 25k car. Tesla are currently better off making Model Ys rather than new products. This might change, Tesla is flexible. There will be a huge dip in car sales as EV demand will be bigger than supply and few people would settle for ICE cars. make a decent EV and it will sell.

To answer your question OP, no, Elon believes all cars should have at least 200 mile range and the Y SR doesn't hit that
Nonsense

The MY RWD is available in HK and it has a 455lm range (282 miles) WLTP so even if it were true, it would still qualify.

F5C3E90E-B929-4C28-B622-B8C1E5A479ED.jpeg

Nonsense

The MY RWD is available in HK and it has a 455lm range (282 miles) WLTP so even if it were true, it would still qualify.

You'd have thought the "UK Tesla owners group president" would have know :)

I suspect Tesla will bring out a standard model when it suits them, but while they can make and sell higher margin models they will. If they become under pressure and have excess demand, or have excess LFP batteries and not enough of the Li-Ion batteries, then they'll start making them. It seems pretty obvious to me

If you have a product available in a number of versions/price levels and for which demand exceeds supply it is logical to prioritise the most profitable versions = the premium versions.
Other manufacturers have started quoting extended (12 to 15 month) delivery on base models.. using the "chip shortage" excuse/explanation.. Indeed, JLR claim that they have the highest margin per unit on sales for 15 years, according to Autocar.

Nonsense

View attachment 770870
WLTP?

Very approximately.... 455km WLTP might be 406.25km EPA, 252 miles (+/- 8%)

I'd just like to point out that Hong Kong is tiny. Many mainland Chinese owners don't do intercity trips with cars, so usage patterns very different from USA, even UK

Reactions: Arran
I thought the MY would have sold like hot cakes once released over here, but that doesn't seem to be the case

??????? It's only been a few days, massively in demand, it just depends on deliveries. People in UK will be complaining about Model Y waits for years, even if only LR and P sold

Tesla is limited in capacity, parts (eg chips) - so best to make the expensive higher profit ones. Tesla can't make more, that's partly why less emphasis on Model 2/Q 25k car. Tesla are currently better off making Model Ys rather than new products. This might change, Tesla is flexible. There will be a huge dip in car sales as EV demand will be bigger than supply and few people would settle for ICE cars. make a decent EV and it will sell.
Yeah, I see what you are saying.

I'm just thinking that up until last week, despite being a new release in the UK, you could still buy one of the MY cars that were on the boat to the UK, which suggests to me that the initial UK cars weren't sold out

It then got me thinking that considering they want to drive sales higher every year, a SR MY would be very popular choice here and help increase sales.

I'm just guessing of course, influenced by the fact that the MY SR is something that I would personally like to see!

Tesla M3 is the most popular EV here by quite some margin and they'll want the MY to join it at the top of the rankings. I'm not sure that will be the case at £55k minimum for MY, which gives me hope that the MY SR will make it here sooner or later.

I doubt we will see the SR until late this year/ early next year.

Tesla will have adjusted their production based on the orders in Q4 then anticipated orders up until March so it wouldn’t necessarily mean there hasn’t been demand.

From what I heard this quarter is meant to be a record for them but obviously will include the model 3 too.

Yeah, I see what you are saying.

I'm just thinking that up until last week, despite being a new release in the UK, you could still buy one of the MY cars that were on the boat to the UK, which suggests to me that the initial UK cars weren't sold out

It then got me thinking that considering they want to drive sales higher every year, a SR MY would be very popular choice here and help increase sales.

I'm just guessing of course, influenced by the fact that the MY SR is something that I would personally like to see!

Tesla M3 is the most popular EV here by quite some margin and they'll want the MY to join it at the top of the rankings. I'm not sure that will be the case at £55k minimum for MY, which gives me hope that the MY SR will make it here sooner or later.
"you could still buy one of the MY cars that were on the boat to the UK" - I'd be very surprised at that, do you have a source? In my opinion, Model Y will be more popular than Model 3 in UK. Many people who wanted a Tesla have a Model 3 already if the saloon was ok for them. The Model Y is a hatchback SUV, better form factor for many, so people waited. Going forward I think Y better than 3 for most people.

Tesla can't MAKE enough cars, no point in selling cheaper ones than they can sell UNLESS those cars are higher margin. SR will presumably be LFP (especially after patents expire outside China in April), so batteries are cheaper, plus CATL are trusted by Tesla to make battery packs (a huge compliment to CATL). However, I stil think margin on MY LR is greater than a MY SR. Even more so when MY LR uses 4680

Restrictions on supply are (probably in order for now)

1. Manufacturing capacity (better to make high margin cars) - Berlin, Austin, further expansion of Fremont & Shanghai (Berlin & Shanghai most important for UK)
  2. Chips (better to make high margin cars) - Tesla is most flexible, best customer, but still struggle especially when sub-systems (airbags?) are supplied by 3rd parties like Bosch
  3. Batteries (better to make high margin cars, but if 1 & 2 allow, some lower margin cars). Elon/Tesla have said that batteries will not be a constraint in 2022, maybe 2023
Until 1 & 2 are sorted, there isn't a good reason for LFP / SR for the UK market. I personally think it will be 2 years before MY SR are available in UK, but that's an opinion/guess. I can see ways in which a glut of LFP batteries are used in preference to 2170 in Berlin.

I probably take umbrage at the "drive sales" phrase. Tesla don't need to advertise, much of the sales are organic, word of mouth. Having bigger demand doesn't help Tesla much except by being able to raise prices to capture possible buy/resell immediately at higher prices situations (like sport/concert tickets) and prevent insane backlogs. Every Tesla sale begets further orders.

Reactions: EVMeister