Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range for UK - will it happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"you could still buy one of the MY cars that were on the boat to the UK" - I'd be very surprised at that, do you have a source? In my opinion, Model Y will be more popular than Model 3 in UK. Many people who wanted a Tesla have a Model 3 already if the saloon was ok for them. The Model Y is a hatchback SUV, better form factor for many, so people waited. Going forward I think Y better than 3 for most people.

Tesla can't MAKE enough cars, no point in selling cheaper ones than they can sell UNLESS those cars are higher margin. SR will presumably be LFP (especially after patents expire outside China in April), so batteries are cheaper, plus CATL are trusted by Tesla to make battery packs (a huge compliment to CATL). However, I stil think margin on MY LR is greater than a MY SR. Even more so when MY LR uses 4680

Restrictions on supply are (probably in order for now)

1. Manufacturing capacity (better to make high margin cars) - Berlin, Austin, further expansion of Fremont & Shanghai (Berlin & Shanghai most important for UK)
  2. Chips (better to make high margin cars) - Tesla is most flexible, best customer, but still struggle especially when sub-systems (airbags?) are supplied by 3rd parties like Bosch
  3. Batteries (better to make high margin cars, but if 1 & 2 allow, some lower margin cars). Elon/Tesla have said that batteries will not be a constraint in 2022, maybe 2023
Until 1 & 2 are sorted, there isn't a good reason for LFP / SR for the UK market. I personally think it will be 2 years before MY SR are available in UK, but that's an opinion/guess. I can see ways in which a glut of LFP batteries are used in preference to 2170 in Berlin.

I probably take umbrage at the "drive sales" phrase. Tesla don't need to advertise, much of the sales are organic, word of mouth. Having bigger demand doesn't help Tesla much except by being able to raise prices to capture possible buy/resell immediately at higher prices situations (like sport/concert tickets) and prevent insane backlogs. Every Tesla sale begets further orders.

It's here on this very forum though....

People ordering MY on website with May delivery date but actually, still availability on the inbound boats and getting March deliveries still

Same for M3 buyers actually, website showing Aug but getting delivered in March too

Screenshot_20220219-121115_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220219-110822_Chrome.jpg

The website dates do seem to be more of a backstop. The dates will move back when the allocations are nominally full and it clicks over to the next block of cars in a different quarter. Meantime car orders get cancelled all the time, fleet orders changed etc. and stock becomes available in those earlier blocks, Tesla don't seem to rewind the dates on the website, they just offer the cars as new inventory or match up the odd owner giving them an earlier date but there does seem to be a degree of luck in that.

As an aside, maybe I need to vent having read a few posts today across different forum, I find it frustrating when people say "when I ordered last month the website said March, but today the website has updated and is now saying August, so when will I get my car?" The date on the website is for new orders, not month old ones!

Reactions: UkNorthampton
It's here on this very forum though....

People ordering MY on website with May delivery date but actually, still availability on the inbound boats and getting March deliveries still

Same for M3 buyers actually, website showing Aug but getting delivered in March too

View attachment 771176View attachment 771177
Well I'm surprised. Normally Tesla make/ship a likely mix and allocate on way over. Might be some differences in colours etc, but I think it's more likely to be Tesla's optimistic delivery dates. Mine was 3 months after the date they originally gave me.

I'm just thinking that up until last week, despite being a new release in the UK, you could still buy one of the MY cars that were on the boat to the UK, which suggests to me that the initial UK cars weren't sold out
Until they start appearing on the roads I suspect many people aren't even aware of the MY, and even ones that are haven't been able to easily test drive one. I predict sales will increase quarter on quarter throughout the year, however at some point they will need the SR/RWD version to move to the next level - it has value just as a way to get people to consider an MY, even if they ultimately decide on an LR. At the moment people may not even consider anything above £50k.

Nonsense

The MY RWD is available in HK and it has a 455lm range (282 miles) WLTP so even if it were true, it would still qualify.

View attachment 770870
Sorry, I'm an idiot (I blame Model Y hysteria), Elon said 250 miles not 200 miles and we all know WLTP/EPA range isn't the most accurate, real-life range would be much closer to 200-230 miles, but it's a fair point about HK but the massive difference is Hong Kong is tiny compared to UK and the rest of China has a superb supercharger network, countries in Europe I fear would struggle with an SR and clearly, Tesla thinks the same (at least for now) for both NA and EMEA.

countries in Europe I fear would struggle with an SR and clearly, Tesla thinks the same (at least for now) for both NA and EMEA.
I don't believe this is true, purely from the fact that the 2021 M3 SR+ with the 55 kWh battery has less range than the Hong Kong MY RWD with the new 60 kWh battery, and that is just fine for many people in Europe.

I think it is purely a supply/demand decision. Given Tesla cannot make enough vehicles to meet demand, they choose to not make the cheapest model. That or CATL wouldn't be able to supply enough batteries for both the M3 and MY in RWD specification.

I don't believe this is true, purely from the fact that the 2021 M3 SR+ with the 55 kWh battery has less range than the Hong Kong MY RWD with the new 60 kWh battery, and that is just fine for many people in Europe.

I think it is purely a supply/demand decision. Given Tesla cannot make enough vehicles to meet demand, they choose to not make the cheapest model. That or CATL wouldn't be able to supply enough batteries for both the M3 and MY in RWD specification.
I agree, and to suggest China has a superb supercharger network so they can have shorter range cars, a visual using the same scale to show the current locations would suggest they need the range as much as we do.

Musk did once say he saw no need to have greater than a 100kwh battery, but I'm not aware that he's said they all need to have a 250 mile or more range unless he was trying to point score against the compeition like the Taycan where a number of models sit just below that level. I'm sure it has much more to do with market opportunity to sell higher margin cars.

Untitled.png

Sorry, I'm an idiot (I blame Model Y hysteria), Elon said 250 miles not 200 miles and we all know WLTP/EPA range isn't the most accurate, real-life range would be much closer to 200-230 miles, but it's a fair point about HK but the massive difference is Hong Kong is tiny compared to UK and the rest of China has a superb supercharger network, countries in Europe I fear would struggle with an SR and clearly, Tesla thinks the same (at least for now) for both NA and EMEA.
My Model 3 SR+ has less range than that. Range really isn't an issue, an extra stop on a really long trip compared to a LR but we've been from Scotland to Dorset and back ... and managed just fine. And it seems, according to the experiences on this forum, the M3 Performance has about the same range in real world as the SR+.

Reports are coming out that the standard range Model Y will be the first new model out of Giga Texas.
Pricing apparently will be $59,990 ($3000 less than the current price of LR).

Any chance this will be offered in the UK this year? A lighter, more efficient model y does appeal.

I wonder if the price difference to LR will be made bigger to make it more attractive, likely meaning price hikes for model y soon.

Moderator: post combined with existing thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the LFP batteries, I can’t help thinking that if they only put the new cells in the cheapest models, they must think they’re not as good somehow. We know LFP are bigger and heavier for the energy density which is why they don’t do it, there’s simply not enough space for the required capacity in the car. I was under the impression the 4680 had better energy density, so all other things being equal (power output etc) I’d have thought a LR+ model was more likely. It’s not like they have trouble selling cars in the US so why go cheaper when you can go better and make more money?

Like the LFP batteries, I can’t help thinking that if they only put the new cells in the cheapest models, they must think they’re not as good somehow. We know LFP are bigger and heavier for the energy density which is why they don’t do it, there’s simply not enough space for the required capacity in the car. I was under the impression the 4680 had better energy density, so all other things being equal (power output etc) I’d have thought a LR+ model was more likely. It’s not like they have trouble selling cars in the US so why go cheaper when you can go better and make more money?
I think the logic for SR using the 4680s at the moment is they have limited supply of cells as they haven’t yet ramped up to full scale manufacturing.
Hence if you have few batteries but enough of all the other components then make cars with the smaller battery packs.

And then only charge $3000 less = ridiculous profit margins

I thought they had an even more limited supply of 4680 cells and need them for other things? If they do do a production run for a while, I think it will be short lived and might be more to see how the cells perform in the wild rather than a strategic change. It would make a lot of sense to shake them down on a few thousand cars before they launched something like the cybertruck using them.

Reports are coming out that the standard range Model Y will be the first new model out of Giga Texas.
Pricing apparently will be $59,990 ($3000 less than the current price of LR).

Any chance this will be offered in the UK this year? A lighter, more efficient model y does appeal.

I wonder if the price difference to LR will be made bigger to make it more attractive, likely meaning price hikes for model y soon.

Moderator: post combined with existing thread
If it really was only $3000 less expensive then it would be a no-brainer to buy the LR version. It will definitely need a bigger price differential to be a viable proposition. If it was around £10k less (like M3 vs M3 LR) then I could see the point.

Will 100% happen. They need to shift to iron batteries and price needs to come down.

It's just a matter of time.
Yes. If you consider MY has just started in UK, Shanghai factory issue aside, there is no new order delay/high demand issue which kind of tells you that if Tesla want to sell lots of MY here, they'll need to release a well priced MY SR to do that

For that reason, I'm hanging onto my M3 in the meantime and just waiting for the announcement to be made.

Yes. If you consider MY has just started in UK, Shanghai factory issue aside, there is no new order delay/high demand issue which kind of tells you that if Tesla want to sell lots of MY here, they'll need to release a well priced MY SR to do that

For that reason, I'm hanging onto my M3 in the meantime and just waiting for the announcement to be made.
I think you may be reading a bit too much into this appaent lack of demand. There was obviously a large batch of MY cars pumped into the UK market initially and availability was certainly good for a few months. But stock is not hanging around for very long and demand is likely to keep on growing rather than dry up. So I doubt Tesla will NEED to release an SR version any time soon, but I'm sure they will eventually. Expect to see them in other markets first though.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I think you may be reading a bit too much into this appaent lack of demand. There was obviously a large batch of MY cars pumped into the UK market initially and availability was certainly good for a few months. But stock is not hanging around for very long and demand is likely to keep on growing rather than dry up. So I doubt Tesla will NEED to release an SR version any time soon, but I'm sure they will eventually. Expect to see them in other markets first though.
You are using words like 'expect' and 'likely'

Let's look at facts for a moment. Despite being new release, people on here were ordering MY late Feb and getting one a couple of weeks later. How could that happen with high demand?

Last week on the website, you could order one and get it next month once the boats came in. Obviously it's now impossible due to the shutdowns in China, but if demand was high, the date would have been Q3 or Q4

Tesla also has the benefit 0f a nice tailwind due to VW group SUVs being at least a year from otder to delivery, giving Tesla some extra customers that it might not have otherwise got. And still, despite that, Tesla MY lead time remains very short.

So I'm not really sure how you can observe these facts and say demand is growing. Quite the contrary tbh. Initial launch demand was easily met, which is telling.

I think this time next year at the latest is when we will see the SR MY. Unless of course the rest of Europe goes crazy for MIG MY, then Tesla might just let UK MY orders dribble along.

You are using words like 'expect' and 'likely'

Let's look at facts for a moment. Despite being new release, people on here were ordering MY late Feb and getting one a couple of weeks later. How could that happen with high demand?

Last week on the website, you could order one and get it next month once the boats came in. Obviously it's now impossible due to the shutdowns in China, but if demand was high, the date would have been Q3 or Q4

Tesla also has the benefit 0f a nice tailwind due to VW group SUVs being at least a year from otder to delivery, giving Tesla some extra customers that it might not have otherwise got. And still, despite that, Tesla MY lead time remains very short.

So I'm not really sure how you can observe these facts and say demand is growing. Quite the contrary tbh. Initial launch demand was easily met, which is telling.

I think this time next year at the latest is when we will see the SR MY. Unless of course the rest of Europe goes crazy for MIG MY, then Tesla might just let UK MY orders dribble along.
I think every Tesla imported into a market/sector sells 2 more later. Model 3 probably near killed BMW3 equivalents. Model Y still has some way to go to become better known with the BMW/Audi SUV crowd. Teslas sell Teslas. Model Y seems more popular in most markets it's been sold in, I'd expect same in UK. Demand will snowball.