Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Standard Range GIGA TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all my name is Marco, long time lurker. I’ve been holding off on placing an order for a MY. Originally I was leaning towards going the MYP route however I was at a standstill as I’m sure most were due to the 4680 cell/GIGA TX factory opening. Also observing this forum and all the rumors surrounding what would be the first iteration of the Model Y consumers would be able to get their hands on.

I haven’t owned an EV before. In the past I have test driven a MY twice. I like being able to use one pedal for the most part and having all the tech at your finger tips. I recently sold my Kia Optima with Carvana, got a decent price for it and saw an opportunity to invest some of the money and also hold onto a portion of it to put towards a newer vehicle (most likely a Tesla) but I have kept my options open. In the current climate most dealerships for example Mercedes on some models adds a $5k premium automatically on top of the MSRP.

I’d like to get a discussion going on the SR MY. I saw one other thread that spoke about the SR and what the price tag most likely is going to be ($59,990). Most of the responses I observed were against the price range for the estimated 279 miles per full charge. Obviously it would be difficult to compare the previous SR model to this new upcoming one even though there was a $20k difference in price.

What do you all think for someone like me who could potentially be a first time Tesla owner. Is it really not worth the price even though I am in the market for a vehicle in the price range? Also I should mention I currently drive an E350 MB with 222,000 miles on it. So I’m not in a rush for a new car but I don’t think I could wait till 2023 for a LR. My other thought was to lease the SR instead of purchase. Ultimately I want to end up in a MYP. But I see it as a good move to try something a little cheaper and not have to be too attached to it since I’d be leasing.