Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not quite how the fed credit works though.

You get -up to- $7500 of the amount of tax you owe the government offset, the following year, when you file your taxes.

You don't get an upfront $7500 off the purchase.

(and if you have less than $7500 in fed tax liability you get less than $7500)

Oh, so you're saying you never actually see the $7500, so you really cant put it towards an MSRP. But you can put it as an one of the perks. I'm glad you cleared that up because I was tired of seeing $45K-$7500= $37500. It has always been a misleading factor.

Reactions: Mr X
Oh, so you're saying you never actually see the $7500, so you really cant put it towards an MSRP. But you can put it as an one of the perks. I'm glad you cleared that up because I was tired of seeing $45K-$7500= $37500. It has always been a misleading factor.
More or less. You'll pay the full purchase price and that amount will factor into the monthly payment if you are financing. THEN, the next year when you do your taxes, they'll take $7,500 off whatever you owe in taxes or you'll get $7,500 back in addition whatever you were going to get back otherwise. At least, that's how it worked with the $1,750 I "got back" with the model 3 I bought at the end of 2019.

Reactions: Kamban
More or less. You'll pay the full purchase price and that amount will factor into the monthly payment if you are financing. THEN, the next year when you do your taxes, they'll take $7,500 off whatever you owe in taxes or you'll get $7,500 back in addition whatever you were going to get back otherwise. At least, that's how it worked with the $1,750 I "got back" with the model 3 I bought at the end of 2019.

Yup, exactly.

Some states do have an independent rebate (like NJ did until 12/15) where you get the full value of the rebate in 'cash'. Others have a point-of-sale rebate where the credit is applied by the manufacturer at the time of purchase reducing your cost (I believe CA has that, and rumors are the when the NJ rebate comes back, it will also be a POS rebate).

You won't get $7500 back unless you OWED at least $7500.

Where people get confused on this is the difference between tax liability and tax withholding.

You owe X dollars for the year to the IRS for taxes. That's your liability.

If you work, your employer will withhold some money to essentially "pre-pay" this.

When you do your taxes, you compare one number to the other and either the withholding overpaid your liability- and you get a refund of the difference...or it underpaid and you owe the difference.

The $7500 EV tax credit offsets LIABILITY. But only to the amount of that liability.

Removing the withholding part for a second- If you only have $3000 liability, you can't get $7500 in tax credit... you'd only get the $3000 liability offset and owe $0 and get $0 refund.

So the tax credit alters the liability number.

Then if you do withholding that'd be compared to the tax-credit-adjusted liability (which again can not be less than 0)- if your liability goes to 0 with the credit then your refund would be whatever amount your employer withheld.

That's why you only get $7500 "back" if you have at least $7500 in liability in the first place... and "how much you normally get for a refund" tells you nothing about that.

Why are we needing to explain how the federal tax incentive works again? It’s the exact same thing as when Tesla cars were eligible for it back in time. There’s probably over a hundred threads about it if you do a simple search on this forum alone.

Reactions: GSP and cdswm3
Why are we needing to explain how the federal tax incentive works again? It’s the exact same thing as when Tesla cars were eligible for it back in time. There’s probably over a hundred threads about it if you do a simple search on this forum alone.

Because its misleading and always has been to say its $7500 off the sale price of the car. It's never been the case. Those who love Tesla have always done that when comparing to ICE cars and now its being done to say why a MachE or VW is cheaper than a Tesla when its not the case.

Because its misleading and always has been to say its $7500 off the sale price of the car. It's never been the case. Those who love Tesla have always done that when comparing to ICE cars and now its being done to say why a MachE or VW is cheaper than a Tesla when its not the case.

Show me where on the VW main pages that show the ID4 costs $32,500 upfront?

I get what you are saying. But because of the misleading issues, no manufacturer can advertise their prices as being lower cost upfront now. It has been this way for some time.

I would go as far as saying that Tesla’s implementation is more misleading by making the “Include potential savings” (which they include gas savings) as the default price shown. One has to toggle it to show “purchase price” to see the upfront price.

Reactions: DanDi58
Show me where on the VW main pages that show the ID4 costs $32,500 upfront?

I get what you are saying. But because of the misleading issues, no manufacturer can advertise their prices as being lower cost upfront now. It has been this way for some time.

I would go as far as saying that Tesla’s implementation is more misleading by making the “Include potential savings” (which they include gas savings) as the default price shown. One has to toggle it to show “purchase price” to see the upfront price.

I agree. I meant people shopping and comparing always like to throw the -$7500. Don't get me wrong, the tax incentive is great at the end of the day.

I agree. I meant people shopping and comparing always like to throw the -$7500. Don't get me wrong, the tax incentive is great at the end of the day.

I think that most people do factor that in legitimately because they are moving up to an EV, which is higher priced than a similar gas efficient ICE. Just like it was with the base Tesla models when there still were federal tax incentives available.

Obviously, there are other factors but a single filer will need an income of $65,627 in 2020 to have $7,500 in tax liability.

Maybe it's because I didn't own a car for 11 years living in cities with public transportation but it seems crazy to buy a ~$40k car with an income of ~$65k. I couldn't find much about the median price paid for a car in the US but it seems like the avg. new car price is up to $38k and avg used car price is $21k so maybe I'm the one out of touch.

Obviously, there are other factors but a single filer will need an income of $65,627 in 2020 to have $7,500 in tax liability.

Maybe it's because I didn't own a car for 11 years living in cities with public transportation but it seems crazy to buy a ~$40k car with an income of ~$65k. I couldn't find much about the median price paid for a car in the US but it seems like the avg. new car price is up to $38k and avg used car price is $21k so maybe I'm the one out of touch.

Or maybe you're just one of the smart ones. I think most people spend far, far too much money on discretionary items across teh entire income spectrum.

Reactions: M3Nicola
Serious BITCH move Elon!!!! 16 months I've been waiting while you have been holding on to my $2,500. Now anyone can just walk to the front of the line with $100 and get a SR Y in 2-5 weeks...yet you can't take that same SR Y and put in the AWD Y battery and fulfill your backorders FIRST! Also, we've been told that the LR RWD will not have towing...yet the SR RWD has that option. Can't upgrade to AWD without paying today's higher price either. Serious BITCH move!

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X

Yes, the average car price has gone up to over $38K. If you’re making $65K and you expect to have the full $7,500 in credits, you’re not paying $40K. You’re paying $32,500. Especially if one takes out a car loan, $40K is not what one is paying upfront.

Serious BITCH move Elon!!!! 16 months I've been waiting while you have been holding on to my $2,500. Now anyone can just walk to the front of the line with $100 and get a SR Y in 2-5 weeks...yet you can't take that same SR Y and put in the AWD Y battery and fulfill your backorders FIRST! Also, we've been told that the LR RWD will not have towing...yet the SR RWD has that option. Can't upgrade to AWD without paying today's higher price either. Serious BITCH move!

Why wait this long when the dual motor has been out? It's better

If I was you I would have already gotten the dual motor Y

Oh really? Is that how federal tax credit works? Like solar?

so if I don’t owe anything I’ll get that money back?