Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla expects to remain battery limited in vehicle and energy production for years

it's why they're working on building so many factories and also still planning to expand how much they get from partners like Panasonic, LG, and CATL.

Other EV makers have the same issues, but to a far greater degree.... the Mach E is limited to 50,000 units first year because Ford can't get more batteries than that... Audi and others actually cut original production targets due to battery shortages...

Lack of battery will be the single biggest thing holding back mass EV adoption going forward- there simply won't be enough EVs to replace all the ICE cars, not for another decade or two.... Teslas 2030 estimate was 30 million total EVs made that year- 20 million of them by Tesla.

Leaving 50 million ICE vehicles still being built (based on current 80 mil a year production).

And lack of battery is why.
If what you're saying is true, then other companies really should be buying tesla's battery technologies, pay loyalty or something. I believe Lucid is the closest in terms of EV efficiency. Other EV manufacturers' efficiency is just not on the same level as Tesla's. Better efficiency = less batteries needed = more EVs.

If Tesla had announced this 6 months ago or so, I may have waited. I got my SR+ in late September. As much as I enjoy the car, the audio system is terrible. If you’re coming from a German car, be prepared to be disappointed with the audio. I wish Tesla would kinda tell us in advance about certain things like this.
If they did that you wouldn't have bought the SR+, which is not what most companies would want. There's a specific term for it:
Osborne effect - Wikipedia

Like you I would have gotten this instead of my SR+, which I just took delivery last week, if it was available when I ordered (heck even if they delayed my SR+ delivery, I would have switched).

Reactions: DanCar
If what you're saying is true, then other companies really should be buying tesla's battery technologies, pay loyalty or something. I believe Lucid is the closest in terms of EV efficiency. Other EV manufacturers' efficiency is just not on the same level as Tesla's. Better efficiency = less batteries needed = more EVs.

if Tesla had spare batteries to sell others they wouldn't have a shortage.

As to selling the tech itself-Tesla has repeatedly offered to license their stuff to others.... there's 2 problems

One is most legacy companies don't want to give a bunch of money for each car they make to another car company (they already hate having to do it with carbon credits)

Second is most legacy companies don't make anything themselves... they buy batteries from one place, motors from another, and so on.... they're more assembly companies than actual manufacturers.... Tesla is a big exception that is highly vertically integrated to make all their stuff as efficiently designed and intended to work together as possible.

If they did that you wouldn't have bought the SR+, which is not what most companies would want. There's a specific term for it:
Osborne effect - Wikipedia

Like you I would have gotten this instead of my SR+, which I just took delivery last week, if it was available when I ordered (heck even if they delayed my SR+ delivery, I would have switched).
Yeah but I would’ve gotten the more expensive vehicle.

It would be nice if they gave us a heads-up. Sometimes with Tesla, I just have to shake my head at what they’re doing.

If Tesla had announced this 6 months ago or so, I may have waited. I got my SR+ in late September. As much as I enjoy the car, the audio system is terrible. If you’re coming from a German car, be prepared to be disappointed with the audio. I wish Tesla would kinda tell us in advance about certain things like this.
Should've done a test drive? They did warned you that it doesn't have immersive sound.

Reactions: coconutboy84
Yeah but I would’ve gotten the more expensive vehicle.

It would be nice if they gave us a heads-up. Sometimes with Tesla, I just have to shake my head at what they’re doing.
But money in the bank is better than waiting until later when the consumer may change their minds. Plus just because the Model Y is more expensive does not necessarily mean it is more profitable (given it's a bigger car with more features and likely costs more to make).

Should've done a test drive? They did warned you that it doesn't have immersive sound.

So, spend an extra 9k for the audio system? I think not. I don't care about the range or the 0-60 difference, so I would basically be paying 9k for the audio system since the other two are obsolete. This is meant to be my weekend car. I have a 328i that is my daily driver.

The car itself is wonderful. Beautiful design, easy to drive, has a bit of body roll when you hit a corner but there are no issues. Yet, it falls flat on its face when it comes to the audio system. It baffles me why they would put something like a Honda Civic(With all due respect to Civic owners) audio system in such a beautiful car. My 328i system BLOWS it out of the water.

But I think Tesla is going to wise-up and start putting premium audio in all their cars. Unfortunately, for those of us who already have one will be left out in the cold. And no, it is not going to make me trade in my 2020 for a 2021 or 2022. Maybe Tesla will offer installation for a system upgrade, which will be something I'd be willing to pay for if it is reasonable. Most third party audio shops want something in the lines of 4-5k for an upgrade.

But money in the bank is better than waiting until later when the consumer may change their minds. Plus just because the Model Y is more expensive does not necessarily mean it is more profitable (given it's a bigger car with more features and likely costs more to make).

I wasn't going to change my mind. I shopped around before deciding on Model 3 SR+. If they told me in August when I placed my order, "Hey, a Model Y Sr+ is coming out in Jan 2021, and if you'll like to put down a deposit for a reservation we can do that." I probably would have. I already have a car and the Model 3 was going to be car #2.

Tesla expects to remain battery limited in vehicle and energy production for years

it's why they're working on building so many factories and also still planning to expand how much they get from partners like Panasonic, LG, and CATL.

Other EV makers have the same issues, but to a far greater degree.... the Mach E is limited to 50,000 units first year because Ford can't get more batteries than that... Audi and others actually cut original production targets due to battery shortages...

Lack of battery will be the single biggest thing holding back mass EV adoption going forward- there simply won't be enough EVs to replace all the ICE cars, not for another decade or two.... Teslas 2030 estimate was 30 million total EVs made that year- 20 million of them by Tesla.

Leaving 50 million ICE vehicles still being built (based on current 80 mil a year production).

And lack of battery is why.
I just hope it is not b/c the demand for model Y LR AWD for North American market is not as brisk as Tesla hoped for. I mean over the summer Elon Musk stated there won't be Model Y SR. For Tesla to reverse the course just kinda' makes me question that. If profit margins were similar (I don't think they are as good) and there were battery constraint to begin with, Tesla would've released this months ago. Well, unless they don't have the production capabilities in Fremont. However, supposedly Fremont has capabilities to produce 400,000 model 3/Y and up to 500,000 in 2020 (according to quarterly updates ). According to Troy Teslike's twitter: Fremont produced about 298K Model 3/Y. That is about 100K short of the capabilities. I know covid happened and Fremont had to shut down for 6 weeks. That still doesn't account for being 100K short. Just makes me wonder about this move. Anyways, overall this will allow more people to buy the Model Y.

However, supposedly Fremont has capabilities to produce 400,000 model 3/Y and up to 500,000 in 2020 (according to quarterly updates ). According to Troy Teslike's twitter: Fremont produced about 298K Model 3/Y. That is about 100K short of the capabilities. I know covid happened and Fremont had to shut down for 6 weeks. That still doesn't account for being 100K short.

They didn't have 500k capacity for all of 2020, that is what they were getting to at the end of the year.

Well, those objecting would say it's rewarding the makers that are dragging their feet (and come in later to reap the benefits of those that help built up the initial demand for batteries, and also the charging infrastructure).

The biggest charging infrastructure is Tesla which currently no other manufactures are using. The next biggest is being built by one of the newcomers, VW as penance for an ICE emissions scandal. That is definitely not a reward for them dragging their feet. I’ll give them the better battery technology but even still no one has managed to compete with Tesla on range and efficiency with the same battery tech.

They didn't have 500k capacity for all of 2020, that is what they were getting to at the end of the year.
Yes, I am aware that the 500K capacity was by the end of 2020. Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear: what I meant was if they did have 400K capacity and if they only produced 298K model 3/Y over 46 weeks (6 weeks shutdown for covid): it would be about 6478/week....and if covid didn't happen and produced 6478/week x 52 weeks: still would give them about 337K produced for 2020. 337K is still short of 400K production capacity.
-According to Troy Teslike in Q4: fremont produced about 97,770 model 3/Y; Q4 has about 13 weeks so about 7520/week. at 400K/52 week the expected vehicle output should be: 7692...so it wasn't until Q4 they were close to the 400K/year capacity; and obviously way less than 500K/year production capacity (9,615/week)
-Maybe Fremont didn't have 400k/year capacity at beginning of 2020??? but it was in every single quarterly update since at least Q4 2019 update.
-With release of Model Y SR RWD: I do expect them to deliver a lot more, but how much it will "cannibalize" Model 3 is uncertain.

In considering the Standard Range Model Y has there been any analysis of the impact of having only a single drive unit (single permanent magnet motor) on the time needed to warm the battery pack and precondition the cabin?

The Standard Range Model Y will only have the rear drive unit with the permanent magnet motor. Unless, while preconditioning, Tesla operates the single motor at a higher power level, greater than 3.5kW (see below), to produce heat it will take up to twice as long to warm the battery pack and the cabin than in the Long Range Dual Motor or Performance Model Y. (Currently, when you set the Model Y for scheduled departure with preconditioning the Model Y begins to warm the battery pack and the cabin approximately 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time although in colder temperatures the Model Y can start preconditioning even earlier.) This would also be the case for the SR/SR+ Model 3. Is there any information regarding preconditioning either the SR or SR+ Model 3 with the single motor takes longer than in a Long Range Dual Motor or Performance Model 3?

Referencing this thread, post #32 by pt19713 - Warming battery icon in app

"Cold weather, battery pre-conditioning, 18 minute duration. Warning, lots of nerdy tech stuff below.
I've been logging my data with the Scan My Tesla App and finally got a chance to log info with temps below freezing. The legend doesn't appear to be too legible so if you can't read it, here's what each value is along with some context.

* Outside temperature 26F, temperature inside my garage 47F, as shown in green.
* Front Stator motor started at 62F, shown in blue.
* Rear Stator Motor started at 62F, shown in pink.
* Battery inlet temp started at 51F, shown in red.
* Cell Temp Mid (battery pack) started at 52F, shown in black.

In the first image, you can see the front and rear motors quickly warming up with the front motor being warmer while the vehicle is parked. The highest I've seen the front motor get is 210F. What's happening is the refrigerant is passing by the motors and the heat is picked up via conduction. The Octovalve is then distributing the refrigerant, as needed, so initially some of the heat is sent to the heat pump to warm the cabin, and then routed to the battery pack. As long as the battery inlet temp is greater than the battery pack temp, the battery pack will warm up. The reverse is true, if the inlet temp is lower than the pack temp, the battery will go down in temp.

After 18 minutes:
* Front Stator motor started at 62F, finished at 190F
* Rear Stator Motor started at 62F, finished at 162F
* Battery inlet temp started at 51F, finished at 75F
* Cell Temp Mid (battery pack) started at 52F, finished at 69F

Some notes, observations: Each motor draws 3.5 kW max while pre-conditioning, so the dual motor Y will need 7 kW to pre-condition. With the other things running, such as the heat pump, screen, seat warmers, etc it'll typically be around 7.7 kW while parked and pre-conditioning. You'll need at least a NEMA 14-50 and 32A to keep up with this type of draw. Anything less will pull from the battery and not from the grid."