Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y steep driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is definitely a dip at the bottom, and then it angles steeply up. I’m contemplating putting I heated cables to keep snow and ice off the driveway. To give you a sense of how steep, here are some photos on love in day taken from the house.

Attachments

• D5DCB413-A79B-47DF-A92C-5E5DDAF37C20.jpeg
    D5DCB413-A79B-47DF-A92C-5E5DDAF37C20.jpeg
    868.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 9470D374-E52E-4B80-9252-6B5B03CB2573.jpeg
    9470D374-E52E-4B80-9252-6B5B03CB2573.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 38218D56-2787-41E5-95C9-12EB7002E8DA.jpeg
    38218D56-2787-41E5-95C9-12EB7002E8DA.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 224
Post a pic of your driveway.
Here’s some photos to give a sense taken from the house looking down at the driveway. Maybe I was over estimating the angle- my husband says 45 degrees is nuts. But it feels like that to me!

Attachments

• 56FA205E-0C00-4A99-89E1-CDAD2DAC4DCC.jpeg
    56FA205E-0C00-4A99-89E1-CDAD2DAC4DCC.jpeg
    868.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 746FEF17-5318-4EF4-AED2-42EE6B0D5C39.jpeg
    746FEF17-5318-4EF4-AED2-42EE6B0D5C39.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 03EA9DDE-32A3-4D9E-BD2B-ABB95FBAB622.jpeg
    03EA9DDE-32A3-4D9E-BD2B-ABB95FBAB622.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: Skavatar
Here’s some photos to give a sense taken from the house looking down at the driveway. Maybe I was over estimating the angle- my husband says 45 degrees is nuts. But it feels like that to me!
Yes, roads and things look much steeper than they are. I first noticed this as a teen the first time I skied up to the top of Lower Hades at the Purgatory ski resort, and said to my dad "It's straight down!! We'll die!!" Course now you can look at it on Google Earth (remember to turn off vertical exaggeration), and see that it's actually about 30° (which works out to a 58% grade). If you have to drive up or ski down, even 30° is wicked steep!

There is definitely a dip at the bottom, and then it angles steeply up. I’m contemplating putting I heated cables to keep snow and ice off the driveway. To give you a sense of how steep, here are some photos on love in day taken from the house.
Did that moving van make it up your driveway? I ask because at my house, the moving truck couldn't make it up my driveway, becuase it hit the rear bumper on our driveway... But with that being said, our Y has no problems at all making it up our driveway... Hell, even my lowered Infiniti makes it up just fine. It's all on the approach of the driveway :)

Your driveway's entrance seems a bit limited/narrow as far as approach angle goes, but it looks like if push came to shove, you can remove that small retaining wall with the dirt on the side that the moving truck is on, in the first picture, then regrade that section to make it so you can pull into where that truck is, and then use that as the approach to get up the main section of your driveway.

Did that moving van make it up your driveway? I ask because at my house, the moving truck couldn't make it up my driveway, becuase it hit the rear bumper on our driveway... But with that being said, our Y has no problems at all making it up our driveway... Hell, even my lowered Infiniti makes it up just fine. It's all on the approach of the driveway :)

Your driveway's entrance seems a bit limited/narrow as far as approach angle goes, but it looks like if push came to shove, you can remove that small retaining wall with the dirt on the side that the moving truck is on, in the first picture, then regrade that section to make it so you can pull into where that truck is, and then use that as the approach to get up the main section of your driveway.
I was amazed but the truck did get up the driveway. They were a lot more badass than I can ever dream to be. I think at the bottom of the drive the issue is clearance. The truck had to have a lot more clearance than the Model Y has (I think ground clean is something like 6.5 inches?).

so concerned about it bottoming out at the entrance, and of course falling off the driveway once it’s up there. I guess I could get some wheel chucks (I think that’s what they are called) for parking on the driveway, but I’ll legit cry if my beautiful new model y scrapes the bottom as it goes up. Perhaps it’s all in the approach like you said- I’ll have to test it with my Volvo and see if approach changes it- the few times I’ve tried, I bottomed out, then just gave up and parked on the street.

You do not have a 45 degree driveway. 45 degrees is also known as a 100% grade. It's something crazy offroaders aspire to do for very short distances, since the risk of rollover is so high.
View attachment 712420
The steepest recognized road in the world is still only 34.8% or about 20 degrees:

View attachment 712427

You cannot even walk on a 45 degree roof without roof-jacks, scaffolding, affixed ladders, etc.

Ok you make an awesome point. In my mind it was that step but your pictures are great to show it’s just my anxiety. It’s still steep enough that local sanitation won’t walk up the driveway, and cars all bottom out when going up.

This doesn't solve the parking part, but you might be interested in this Model Y extreme diagonal AWD test video:

This is really a great demo. The wheel is completely off the road! I don’t think my drive is that steep all at once. Makes me think at the right angle I can get up the driveway…just not sure how to keep it there. Thank you so much for posting this.

Yeap and residential codes don't allow a steep grade, most max out around 15% and it's really more like 10% ish grade.
I think you’re right! I just feel like I am waaaay angled up on this driveway. It was probably built long before there were lots of codes. It’s a rural area along a private road. But I agree, seeing these responses it has to be closer to the 15 to 18%. It’s still an issue for bottoming out and for staying on the driveway.

This is really a great demo. The wheel is completely off the road! I don’t think my drive is that steep all at once. Makes me think at the right angle I can get up the driveway…just not sure how to keep it there. Thank you so much for posting this.
Sure thing! I thought it was a great demo, because at that tip-over point, it briefly has TWO wheels without traction. That channel has run the same test with a number of different vehicles, and even the Subaru (who are well known for their AWD systems) struggled once two wheels were slipping. Aside from the ground clearance limitations, the Tesla basically made it look effortless. 👍

Reactions: Dreaming3orY
Ok you make an awesome point. In my mind it was that step but your pictures are great to show it’s just my anxiety. It’s still steep enough that local sanitation won’t walk up the driveway, and cars all bottom out when going up.
I have to laugh. My husband sent me this picture, and it probably proves I’m overthinking this. I still think bottoming out at the bottom might happen.

Attachments

• 4AC96C5A-A769-4F25-8D2A-8B035FACCBE4.jpeg
    4AC96C5A-A769-4F25-8D2A-8B035FACCBE4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
Sure thing! I thought it was a great demo, because at that tip-over point, it briefly has TWO wheels without traction. That channel has run the same test with a number of different vehicles, and even the Subaru (who are well known for their AWD systems) struggled once two wheels were slipping. Aside from the ground clearance limitations, the Tesla basically made it look effortless. 👍
That's not really apt to compare them that way because a viscous system needs slip to initiate where an open system using electronic diffs which is simply TC via brakes, can detect slip much faster and respond in milliseconds.

@OP, don't even worry, A Tesla will not have any problem, max traction pus ludicrous torque....

Last edited:
That's not really apt to compare them that way because a viscous system needs slip to initiate where an open system using electronic diffs which is simply TC via brakes, can detect slip much faster and respond in milliseconds.

Understood that they are fundamentally different.

But look at how the Crosstrek did here...It's more than just needing some slip to activate - the Subaru had fifteen seconds of wheelspin (plus driver steering inputs to help find grip) before it finally made it over the crest. Apples to oranges under the hood doesn't really matter as much when the outcome is so dominant...

(Starts at about 3:24)

Reactions: gt2690b
I'm having a minor scraping problem somewhere on the passenger front side when entering my driveway (left turn to go up).

Been trying to play around with the entrance angles but have not yet figured it out. Backing out I don't seem to scrape at all, with a clockwise turn of the wheel when near the end backing out.

Anyone have any tips?

I'm having a minor scraping problem somewhere on the passenger front side when entering my driveway (left turn to go up).

Been trying to play around with the entrance angles but have not yet figured it out. Backing out I don't seem to scrape at all, with a clockwise turn of the wheel when near the end backing out.

Anyone have any tips?
Are you actually scraping or it is just wheelspin? I have a similar problem. Our driveway is no where close to what OP's driveway is, but I hear something that feels like wheel spin when I make a right from the road up the driveway. Making a left turn into the driveway, no issues. Reversing right or left no issues. Just the right turn that has some wheelspin. And it is only in the Y. Seems like something is not right with awd programming. I brought this up during a service visit, but the tech who took it on the test drive could not reproduce the problem (of course).

No other car or crossover ever has had any issues going up the driveway (well sedans need to approach it from an angle to avoid scraping and also exit at an angle).

I've got a healthy slope on my driveway with a short flat spot right before the garage. This winter we got back home to 4~6" of snow on it. I typically back in to charge my MY, so I proceeded as usual. By the time I got to near the top, the snow built up and I couldnt quite get to the flat spot. My wife got out, I let the dogs out via the back driver's side door... walked around the back, got the baby out of the back passanger door... upon closing the door the car broke free and slid down the entire driveway bobsled style into the road and came to a stop without hitting anything/anyone... all while I'm still holding my kid.

Not sure I could have had time to put tire blocks down, nor if they would have stopped the slide