Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Steering Ratio is 10.3, like a sports car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the model Y steering ratio is 10.3 which is about a third less than our two existing vehicles, Honda and Lexus, which are about 15. From my test drive I thought this may the case. It was not as easy to steer, it seem to take more effort to keep the car centered in the lane as it bounced around from imperfections in the pavement. Test car was a model Y permanence with the larger low profile wheels. I'm learning this was the reason for the rough ride. Steering mode was set to comfort.
I'm thinking to set the steering mode to sport instead. It is my understanding sport mode takes more force to turn the wheel and this may keep the wheel from moving around. as much as it encounters bumps and imperfections in the pavement?
Maybe I'm over analyzing all this, I'm just not wanting to take delivery of an expensive car that is going to be more uncomfortable to drive and control. Not sure the auto steer can be used enough of the time because of busy traffic on high speed interstates in the city. the car I would get is the model Y long range with the stock smaller and fatter tires.

Reactions: voxel
I've driven all sorts of vehicles from many manufacturers and driving the Y is easy.

The turning radius isn't as tight as some other vehicles, but I've manage fine over ~1 year.

the model Y steering ratio is 10.3 which is about a third less than our two existing vehicles, Honda and Lexus, which are about 15. From my test drive I thought this may the case. It was not as easy to steer, it seem to take more effort to keep the car centered in the lane as it bounced around from imperfections in the pavement. Test car was a model Y permanence with the larger low profile wheels. I'm learning this was the reason for the rough ride. Steering mode was set to comfort.
I'm thinking to set the steering mode to sport instead. It is my understanding sport mode takes more force to turn the wheel and this may keep the wheel from moving around. as much as it encounters bumps and imperfections in the pavement?
Maybe I'm over analyzing all this, I'm just not wanting to take delivery of an expensive car that is going to be more uncomfortable to drive and control. Not sure the auto steer can be used enough of the time because of busy traffic on high speed interstates in the city. the car I would get is the model Y long range with the stock smaller and fatter tires.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I've driven all sorts of vehicles from many manufacturers and driving the Y is easy.

The turning radius isn't as tight as some other vehicles, but I've manage fine over ~1 year.
We also feel, the MY is easy to steer / drive, love the setting on sport steering. Drive experience here is over many years of cars and sports cars, and 2 race cars.
Compared to our recent X5 (good bye gas and monthly mechanic bills), no way MY has the smaller turning radius, but Tesla makes up for that in so many ways. 3 point turns, yes. Watch that front end of the MY, nose hangs out there a bit.

@RidgeRunner so far with our MY LR (on the standard 19" Gemini wheels), I would half agree with what you experienced: the ride comfort is very harsh. We feel every road imperfection, and speed bumps can be very uncomfortable unless you crawl over them. This is my lease favorite part of the vehicle. That said, I have experienced next to no front-end play or wandering even over bumps and road imperfections. If the car isn't properly centered, it's because I haven't put it there, not because something in the road changed my direction. We came from two older ICE vehicles--one premium German-build sporty coupe and one domestic-brand family sedan, both pushing about 10 years old, and both had significantly more front-end wander over road blemishes and were much harder to keep under control. [And conversely, both had much better road comfort over those same blemishes and especially speed bumps.]

EDIT: mean to add, have been using the "Standard" steering setting

3 things that bother me with my 3... Steering, ride, and seats. I have a Y delivering soon to replace the 3, and I'm not sure if I should just get the ID.4 instead.

I get a lot of hand cramps driving the 3. I normally drive in standard because I found myself jumping between comfort and sport a lot, so might as well just choose the middle because its a bit distracting to switch modes. The Steering ratio is not only fast, but the diameter of the wheel is small and the grip is thick. It takes a lot of correction because of the twitchiness and occasional tramlining so I end up gripping harder. I have a distrust of AP, but I find myself using it more than auto cruise control on the Lexus or my gf camry just to give my hands a break. I never had a problem with steering wheels before, and I've owned sports or sporty cars like a Cayman, BRZ, and GTI. But the lowest of the 3 is 12.5:1.

We have been thinking about getting a performance Model Y but if we do one of the things will be to replace the ridiculously heavy and poor riding wheels and tires. I've heard very good things from folks going with 20 by 10 forged wheels and a 265/40 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Better handling, and better ride. As for the autopilot issues we've never had any problem using the system in heavy traffic. It's super conservative and a bit paranoid but other than that it's fine

Last edited:
Imo, the steering ratio is too quick. It gives the car a slightly farty feel at speed, and can be a little high effort compared to other vehicles.

Having said that, I find the wheel itself to be more comfortable than those other cars, and autopilot more than makes up for it. The most notable situations for me are when there are long stretches of highway and these are perfect for AP anyway.

Reactions: RidgeRunner
I prefer "sport" steering on our Y. It's tight and definitely not mushy or loose like the steering can be on some cars. The turning radius is not great, so three-point turns are in order on narrow roads, but I think you'll overall love the tightness of the steering on the Y.
Not just 3-point turns - I find the car incredibly difficult to park in narrow (or even "normal") perpendicular spots. It's hard to feel where the corners are, and even using the sensors to get close to adjacent vehicles on the way in, it's a challenge to end up straight without an extra reverse/forward cycle.

Not just 3-point turns - I find the car incredibly difficult to park in narrow (or even "normal") perpendicular spots. It's hard to feel where the corners are, and even using the sensors to get close to adjacent vehicles on the way in, it's a challenge to end up straight without an extra reverse/forward cycle.

Ugh, the turning radius is by far my least favorite thing about how the Y drives--nearly a 40' radius. It makes it so clumsy in parking lots. Our other car (ID4 EV, virtually the exact same size as the Y) has a turning radius 7 feet tighter.

Ugh, the turning radius is by far my least favorite thing about how the Y drives--nearly a 40' radius. It makes it so clumsy in parking lots. Our other car (ID4 EV, virtually the exact same size as the Y) has a turning radius 7 feet tighter.

Had an ID.4 and can concur. Insane turning radius. Makes the Y feel like a bus.

However I had a Mach-E with an360 camera and a front sensor (and camera) and that made me forget about needing an insane turning radius when I could see an inch away from the wheels. The cross traffic alerts were incredible too. It would alert me on cars in the completely out of view of the rear view camera (my Toyota RAV4 Prime has cross traffic too but is terrible - detects almost nothing).

Had an ID.4 and can concur. Insane turning radius. Makes the Y feel like a bus.

However I had a Mach-E with an360 camera and a front sensor (and camera) and that made me forget about needing an insane turning radius when I could see an inch away from the wheels. The cross traffic alerts were incredible too. It would alert me on cars in the completely out of view of the rear view camera (my Toyota RAV4 Prime has cross traffic too but is terrible - detects almost nothing).
Found this thread while searching for turning radius. Also wish it had a 360 camera like my previous car. That and Carplay were probably my favorites things missing from my MYP.