Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Stiff Ride Softening Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello we recently purchased a 2020 MDY Long range 20inch induction wheels and in general we love everything about the car, but we live in New York City and with the really bad roads here we're finding the ride to be a little too stiff.

We have a baby so my wife rides in the back seat quit often and there's a noticeable increase in the harshness of the ride from the backseat to the front.

Looking for any recommendations on smoothing out the ride.

I know the Model S there's the recommendation to lower the PSI 10% so wondering if the same holds true for the Y and/or if there are any other recommendations to smooth out the ride.

For now would love to avoid any after market suspension/spring replacements, but open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Lowering the PSI should work the same as the S which would be 37-38 psi cold if you take 10% out. The next steps are more involved and expensive like smaller rims with bigger sidewall tires or springs like you mentioned. Try the tires first. Rims and Tires cost as much as new coilovers and I think coilovers would be more bang for your buck in this scenario.

• Informative
Reactions: 5280mcs
Hello we recently purchased a 2020 MDY Long range 20inch induction wheels and in general we love everything about the car, but we live in New York City and with the really bad roads here we're finding the ride to be a little too stiff.

We have a baby so my wife rides in the back seat quit often and there's a noticeable increase in the harshness of the ride from the backseat to the front.

I know the Model S there's the recommendation to lower the PSI 10% so wondering if the same holds true for the Y and/or if there are any other recommendations to smooth out the ride.

For now would love to avoid any after market suspension/spring replacements, but open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Please install this and let me know how it works. A softer ride would be nice.

Tesla Model Y Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit by Unplugged Performance

Thanks!
You may have to go down to a 19" wheel which will allow you to install tires with higher side wall. There are a lot people on the forum trading wheels and tires with each other. Some want the 20" wheels and tires for a stiffer ride.

Mine are 19's and these are definitely more compliant for comfort.

Reactions: BlindPass
Lowering the PSI should work the same as the S which would be 37-38 psi cold if you take 10% out. The next steps are more involved and expensive like smaller rims with bigger sidewall tires or springs like you mentioned. Try the tires first. Rims and Tires cost as much as new coilovers and I think coilovers would be more bang for your buck in this scenario.
Make sure you don't let too much air out. Else, the next time you hit a pothole or a break in the road, you are going to bend/crack your wheels as you have effectively reduced the distance of the rims to the pavement.

Reactions: Lozzy
Make sure you don't let too much air out. Else, the next time you hit a pothole or a break in the road, you are going to bend/crack your wheels as you have effectively reduced the distance of the rims to the pavement.

I should also add I don’t know what’s safe and you could also be introducing other problems by lowering the pressure below the recommended level (42 psi)

Most vehicles in this class call for 32-35 psi. My Rdx calls for 33. I can’t image the wheels and tires on the MY are so much different. Seems that 42 psi helps with range. Elon has said lowering 3-4 won’t affect range much and will result in a more compliant ride.

In my experience, Tesla's ride issues are typically much more closely tied to the suspension that the tire profile (the latter just makes it more obvious). Your best plan might be to wait a bit. I suspect Tesla will revamp the suspension by the end of the year - you might be able to get a retrofit (much like many owners did with the 3). Not a great suggestion, but plan b is aftermarket "comfort" coilovers and plan c is get a new car.

• Disagree
Reactions: sherlockw
I have a MYP with 21’s and would love to know how to get a more luxurious ride and not change the wheels and tires?

UPP claims they have a luxury coil over system for the MYP and that means I can lower it 1.5” which I really want but not sure if this statement is true?
Is a air ride setup better? All I want is a softer not bouncy ride and be able to lower it by at least once full inch or 1.5, not slam it or tuck it, just close that gap some.

I have a MYP with 21’s and would love to know how to get a more luxurious ride and not change the wheels and tires?

UPP claims they have a luxury coil over system for the MYP and that means I can lower it 1.5” which I really want but not sure if this statement is true?
Is a air ride setup better? All I want is a softer not bouncy ride and be able to lower it by at least once full inch or 1.5, not slam it or tuck it, just close that gap some.

Yes our coilovers can go down to 1.5”. Here is a pic for reference. If you have any further questions you can always reach out to us any time at [email protected]

- Unplugged Team
upload_2020-7-31_17-24-11.jpeg