Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Still has Production Quality Issues - Question about Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my Model Y last week on 11/17. it was a 75xxx VIN in the state of WA.

Regrettably, the Model Y is still plagued with a few quality issues, namely exterior panel gaps, seat mis-alignments etc. But the one thing that i was really surprised at is that i heard a glass rattling sound coming from the back. I promptly booked a service appointment with Tesla, but unfortunately, they have made it worse. I've now booked a Tesla Mobile Service technician to come over to my house to see if he/she can fix it on-site.

Also, the firmware i got was 2020.39 (no FSD). The Tesla systems says that 2020.40 was applied on 11/19 but my car and mobile app still show 2020.39 despite rebooting and power cycling multiple times. I spoke to the Service Center and they informed me that the 2020.40 update that they claim happened on 11/19 is in "TEMPORARY STATUS". This is because my car is still brand new from the factory and needs to be driven a few hundred miles before it updates the status and version in the Car's Computer. The reason why they do this is so that they can "isolate" issues coming straight out of the factory as opposed to issues that may arise from a software update.

Does this sound right? Has anyone heard of this before?

And finally, when i took it to the service center, they made minor adjustments to the panel and told me that i'm "within spec". The gaps still look big to my eyes, but i know that if i get them to close a panel gap somewher, then the gap increases somewhere else. So it's like i have to pick my poison.

Anyways, i hope they can fix the glass rattling issue. A little disappointed that a brand spanking new vehicle would have a rattling glass issue.

I just took delivery of my Model Y last week on 11/17. it was a 75xxx VIN in the state of WA.

Regrettably, the Model Y is still plagued with a few quality issues, namely exterior panel gaps, seat mis-alignments etc. But the one thing that i was really surprised at is that i heard a glass rattling sound coming from the back. I promptly booked a service appointment with Tesla, but unfortunately, they have made it worse. I've now booked a Tesla Mobile Service technician to come over to my house to see if he/she can fix it on-site.

Also, the firmware i got was 2020.39 (no FSD). The Tesla systems says that 2020.40 was applied on 11/19 but my car and mobile app still show 2020.39 despite rebooting and power cycling multiple times. I spoke to the Service Center and they informed me that the 2020.40 update that they claim happened on 11/19 is in "TEMPORARY STATUS". This is because my car is still brand new from the factory and needs to be driven a few hundred miles before it updates the status and version in the Car's Computer. The reason why they do this is so that they can "isolate" issues coming straight out of the factory as opposed to issues that may arise from a software update.

And finally, when i took it to the service center, they made minor adjustments to the panel and told me that i'm "within spec". The gaps still look big to my eyes, but i know that if i get them to close a panel gap somewher, then the gap increases somewhere else. So it's like i have to pick my poison.

Anyways, i hope they can fix the glass rattling issue. A little disappointed that a brand spanking new vehicle would have a rattling glass issue.
Do you have any pics we can see

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsurgn
I honestly did not check my firmware, but I picked up my MY today, and after a thorough examination, I could not find anything wrong except a very minor blemish on the hood that they buffed out before we took the car home. I have two close acquaintances who have picked up MYs in the last two weeks and they too had found no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46

It is not at all unusual for newly delivered cars to be on old and/or weird firmware versions.

Make sure the car has a strong WiFi signal and give it a week or two before making too much noise.

Reactions: Koolio46
Can you localize the "rattling glass" sound?

The Model Y is a fairly simple vehicle. Except for potential issues with uncured glass adhesive (which wouldn't present itself as a rattle), there isn't a lot of places where glass could rattle. It might be something else.

Make certain that you don't mistake the multi-position recline on the rear seats as a misalignment. It's not much of a recline change, but it looks big visually if you are expecting the seats to be lined up.

I was able to update my software to .48 two days after delivery by selecting 'Advanced'. Edit: no, that was only the navigation update. I'm still on 2020.39.102.1 according to the Tesla app.

• Informative
Reactions: CoastalCruiser
Can you localize the "rattling glass" sound?

The Model Y is a fairly simple vehicle. Except for potential issues with uncured glass adhesive (which wouldn't present itself as a rattle), there isn't a lot of places where glass could rattle. It might be something else.

Make certain that you don't mistake the multi-position recline on the rear seats as a misalignment. It's not much of a recline change, but it looks big visually if you are expecting the seats to be lined up.

I was able to update my software to .48 two days after delivery by selecting 'Advanced'. Edit: no, that was only the navigation update. I'm still on 2020.39.102.1 according to the Tesla app.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Good to know that you too are on 2020.39.102.1

I can certainly wait a couple of weeks before checking with them again.

As for the rattling, it happens when i go over 35 mph on street roads and highways. It doesn't happen on every bump but rattles every now and then and on the highway as one goes over the general undulations present on the highway.

In any case the Mobile tech is due to arrive on Monday. So hopefully he can diagnose and fix the problem. The SC where I took my car to be serviced, said they were able to re-produce the issue and fixed it - but to my surprise it turned out to be even worse afterwards.

rear seat misalignments were fixed by the SC and i'm happy with the resolution.

The B camera strip on the side had scratches. They've ordered the part and will message me when it's available for mobile tech install.

As for the panel gaps, I'll just live with it.

The car drives fine otherwise.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Good to know that you too are on 2020.39.102.1

I can certainly wait a couple of weeks before checking with them again.

As for the rattling, it happens when i go over 35 mph on street roads and highways. It doesn't happen on every bump but rattles every now and then and on the highway as one goes over the general undulations present on the highway.

In any case the Mobile tech is due to arrive on Monday. So hopefully he can diagnose and fix the problem. The SC where I took my car to be serviced, said they were able to re-produce the issue and fixed it - but to my surprise it turned out to be even worse afterwards.

rear seat misalignments were fixed by the SC and i'm happy with the resolution.

The B camera strip on the side had scratches. They've ordered the part and will message me when it's available for mobile tech install.

As for the panel gaps, I'll just live with it.

The car drives fine otherwise.
Any photos?

I took delivery of a 75xxx this Monday and found little to no issues. The only two issues I had was the common left rear tail light protruding further than the right one and then a slightly larger gap on the front passenger headlight. Other than that everything else was pretty flawless, including the paint, the window trims, etc.

I am still debating if I should call a mobile tech to fix these two issues since I think they are so minor and doesn't bother me. Plus i wonder if the mobile tech would screw things up even more as he takes things apart.

So the issue is a loose rear headliner, which causes the rear windshield to rattle when I go at speeds above 35 mph. This is on a brand new Tesla Model Y and the issue was discovered on my drive back home from the service center. The first SC i took the car to, claimed they fixed it when in fact they made it worse. Then the mobile tech came onsite and said he fixed it by applying DUCT TAPE to secure the headliner. IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE! The issue still persists and now i'm trying to get it resolved by another SC in the area. However, they have no availability until the 22nd of December.

I cannot understand how a $57,000 car has such horrible QC and they deliver a vehicle with rattling glass. Also, applying DUCT TAPE is not a solution that the customer wants to hear. There was no option to REJECT, since i only discovered the issue after i drove out of the parking lot on my way back home. And they pretty much tell you at delivery that if there are any issues to report it through the Tesla App and not to the Sales Consultant at the Service Center.

On a happier note, i can confirm that my firmware did get updated to 2020.44.25. I was on 2020.39 for about 15 days.

It's a solid car, fun to drive, but things like a secure windshield and side glasses should be table stakes for an auto company.

C'est la vie.

Clarification please. You refer to "rattling glass", but the glass isn't loose, right? It's the headliner rattling against the glass?
I don't have my Y yet, so I can't check, but is the headliner cut too short? Surely there are solutions that don't involve duct tape, or replacing the headliner. There has to be a way to secure it with something that can endure temperature swings, or in your case, humidity swings.
Sorry about the QC problems.

63xxx in the North East USA was problem free, save a missing connector or three in the rear bumper (maybe related to factory hitch install?). I have a 'rattle' from teh back - but it's just poor design (or luck) on the way the outboard seatbelt buckle 'stores' sometimes..

I thought I had seat misalignment but sorted that once I figured out how to use the four ( I think..) positions - something that is not obvious on first try...