Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Stock Rear Window Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are the readings I got with the Tint meter (EDTM Digital Power Meter)

Outside Direct sun 254 (high)
Front windshield 95 (no tint)
Side front windows 50 (no tint)
Rear factory tinted windows 15
Roof glass factory dyed or tinted “5”
Rear hatch factory tinted 15

The Y is currently in the shop, getting Crystaline 70 on the front windshield and 35% on the front windows, I think it’s Xpel but will get the correct brand name when I pick it up. Will post new heat rejection numbers when I get it.

Fred

This is NOT an accurate way of comparing anything you're having done.

1) The Rear half of the Model Y or the Model X are NOT TINTED. It is COLORED GLASS. It provides glare reduction and privacy. It is not going to block the heat anywhere near as well as the ceramic films will.

2) In order for your "before/after" comparison numbers to be accurate, you will need to take the measurements at the same time of day, position of the vehicle parked in the same spot, with the same outside temperature. Clouds will effect the readings too.

3) The BTU numbers are not easy to translate to real world experiences. A cheap laser thermometer is a better way to understand the changes of surface temperatures. And Finally, a boring $10 porch outdoor thermometer placed on the front seat will give you the cabin air temperatures compare.

4) Having a duplicate car, side by side, at the same time to compare the BTU meter, cabin temperature, and surface temperature readings is a much more relatable way of understanding the efficiency of the film.

This is NOT an accurate way of comparing anything you're having done.

1) The Rear half of the Model Y or the Model X are NOT TINTED. It is COLORED GLASS. It provides glare reduction and privacy. It is not going to block the heat anywhere near as well as the ceramic films will.

2) In order for your "before/after" comparison numbers to be accurate, you will need to take the measurements at the same time of day, position of the vehicle parked in the same spot, with the same outside temperature. Clouds will effect the readings too.

3) The BTU numbers are not easy to translate to real world experiences. A cheap laser thermometer is a better way to understand the changes of surface temperatures. And Finally, a boring $10 porch outdoor thermometer placed on the front seat will give you the cabin air temperatures compare.

4) Having a duplicate car, side by side, at the same time to compare the BTU meter, cabin temperature, and surface temperature readings is a much more relatable way of understanding the efficiency of the film.
I don't think the intention of the OP and the reading was to be scientific. Just a reference with the vehicle in stock form before tinting is applied for us average folks...

Reactions: jimmym1981
The car also shows the internal temp from the app which is probably the most consistent measuring device as it’s used to regulate the internal temps. Just turn off the over heat protection.

And yes, factory glass is dyed and lacks actual heat rejection. It’s a good idea to do a light tint that still has heat rejection properties. I did 15 on the fronts, 50 on the back/hatch and then 70 on the windshield.

OOOHHH!!! I know this one!!! :D

This is a DOT (Department of Transportation) thing here in America. When a manufacturer produces a vehicle there are certain guidelines they need to follow for various classes of vehicles. An automobile manufacturer cannot offer or produce a "Passenger Vehicle" with what we call "Factory Tint", "Privacy Glass" or "Smoked Glass". This passes the regulation of how dark you can legally have your windows to the state level.

BUT, when the manufacturer produces a "Truck" or an "SUV" the rules are different. A vehicle produced with a "truck chassis" can have "factory smoked glass" from the manufacturer. However the only windows the manufacturer can choose to add this feature are from the A-Pillars and back. These windows aren't even considered to be used by the driver for "trucks". Think of the panel vans with no windows at all. The manufacturer cannot have any tinting on the front doors or windshield no matter the vehicle class. Even though the Teslas have the uni-body "chassis", they still have to categorize their vehicles. So, they call the Model X a "Truck" and are probably going to do the same for the Model Y. With the Model Y and Model X being called a "truck", they will have to follow the guidelines in place for a truck vs a passenger car. You can have a tow package installed legally, and be able to tow heavier loads and trailers. Yes, you can legally add a tow package to other passenger cars too, but there are legal limits on how heavy you tow.

The biggest head scratcher for me is the Subaru Impreza vs the Subaru Crosstrek. They are nearly identical, but the Crosstrek is considered a small SUV and the Impreza is a passenger vehicle. lol.

I hope this helps.;)

So does the manufacturer use smoked glass (permanent) or tint (removable) on the SUVs/CUVs? I do notice european SUVs like Range Rovers, MBs and BMWs - their stock photography are often the european version and they don't come tinted.

I personally like the clean look of the no tint, but understand it's a necessity for certain geographic locations.

The car also shows the internal temp from the app which is probably the most consistent measuring device as it’s used to regulate the internal temps. Just turn off the over heat protection.

And yes, factory glass is dyed and lacks actual heat rejection. It’s a good idea to do a light tint that still has heat rejection properties. I did 15 on the fronts, 50 on the back/hatch and then 70 on the windshield.

The roof still has that IR heat rejection stuff that previous Tesla models had in it right?

So does the manufacturer use smoked glass (permanent) or tint (removable) on the SUVs/CUVs? I do notice european SUVs like Range Rovers, MBs and BMWs - their stock photography are often the european version and they don't come tinted.

I personally like the clean look of the no tint, but understand it's a necessity for certain geographic locations.

Manufactures do have to stay within the geographical laws and regulations. They do make clear glass for certain SUVs and Trucks. It would not surprise me to see all clear glass on a Tesla X or Y in another country or region that doesn't allow smoked glass. I do not know if that is an option for US buyers though.

Manufactures do have to stay within the geographical laws and regulations. They do make clear glass for certain SUVs and Trucks. It would not surprise me to see all clear glass on a Tesla X or Y in another country or region that doesn't allow smoked glass. I do not know if that is an option for US buyers though.
As a previous poster was asking, the "roof" portion is actually tinted though and shouldn't need tint added correct? I know it was on my M3...

Right, but I thought Tesla glass roof's had some sort of special protection against UV/IR radiation. That is why they use to turn orange/red in the rain. I understand they got rid of whatever was causing that effect, but I thought they still had the same protection. Is this not the case? Are you telling me that the glass roof is just colored glass?

on the contrary, Tesla sunroofs do block a lot of the heat, IR, and UV. I am just stating they do not have a removable film and can still block more heat if a film is applied. The smoked glass on the doors, back hatch glass, and little cargo glass windows are not as efficient in heat blocking as the sunroof is. Adding a good IR blocking film to those will improve the heat blocking as well.

So are tint shops good to go with tinting the roof now'a days? Thought there were some issues awhile back, cracking and whatnot?

I sat in the back of my wife's new Y today while in the parking lot, much better seating position than my Model 3 in the rear seats but wowza some heat was coming through (Las Vegas, 102*F today). I'm going to call some shops for the same XPEL Prime XR PLUS what I have on my 3 but I'll ask about the roof glass

Just returned from getting the tint on the model Y, front windshield Xpel Prime XR Plus 70% and the 2 front windows the same Brand but at 35.% Tint, nothing else was added to the roof, back windows or rear hatch. Wife drove it back home and said she could not feel any heat coming inside, I will drive it tomorrow to get a feel and also give you those numbers again with pictures of what the 35% tint looks like compare to the rear.

Just saw the weather for next Tuesday, it will be 82, so on that day I will leave it outside and let it cook some, will report back on the inside heat temps.

Fred

Last edited:
Just returned from getting the tint on the model Y, front windshield Xpel Prime XR Plus 70% and the 2 front windows the same Brand but at 35.% Tint, nothing else was added to the roof, back windows or rear hatch. Wife drove it back home and said she could not feel any heat coming inside, I will drive it tomorrow to get a feel and also give you those numbers again with pictures of what the 35% tint looks like compare to the rear.

Just saw the weather for next Tuesday, it will be 82, so on that day I will leave it outside and let it cook some, will report back on the inside heat temps.

Fred
I pick up my MY tomorrow and will be setting up whole front end PPF and tint this coming week, I'd love to see how yours came out!

Front windshield used to read 95 without tint, now 15

702278E1-6F13-4CC5-942A-41A0E0702CEC.jpeg

Took it outside and yes you can still feel the heat inside but not as bad, inside temp with no air and windows rolled up was 84 - 86 degree F. Like PremierTint said, the heat is probably coming from the roof.

88676624-98F4-4DA2-8CB7-D234F6BE214F.jpeg
122B2CAB-E0CF-4E18-B64D-17A9E8F0967E.jpeg

35% tint, to probably match the back windows 25%

Reactions: rjpjnk and MGsurf
We tinted our model 3 with ceramic 60 on the windshield and 30 on all the windows and roof. It made a big difference in keeping the car cooler. Before the tint on a sunny day the heat from the roof was very noticeable when putting your hand close to the glass but after the tint was applied there was hardly any heat coming through. We are going to do the same with our model Y in the next two weeks after getting PPF film applied. The model Y rear window is tinted very heavily already I suspect to hide the rear contents and the rear windows are also pretty dark so I may adjust the tint level on those so it looks uniformly dark all around. It was our first time to tint a windshield and we loved it because it reduced nighttime glare while having no apparent effect on visibility.