Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have now done a journey with my hole mod and it really has massively increased the bass!

In fact, i’m not sure I even need the kicker sub now, but I’m going to fit it anyway.

I suppose that if you’re already happy with your bass then this mod might not make a difference, as your bass is already getting out somehow, but if you’re really underwhelmed with the bass then it’s definitely worthwhile trying this mod, especially as it’s completely free and only takes less than 1 minute to do.
Glad to hear. Where exactly did you cut the hole? I couldn’t tell from the picture. Is in the little right rear cubby facing backwards?

• Disagree
Reactions: Lonewulf45
Glad to hear. Where exactly did you cut the hole? I couldn’t tell from the picture. Is in the little right rear cubby facing backwards?
Facing downwards, here:
D4AEFE95-2D6A-4EF4-8957-A2B17994A51C.jpeg

I have noticed something weird today!

I put the radio on, which I rarely do when it’s just me in the car, and the bass was crazy loud, I immediately tried the same song on both Spotify and Tidal and the bass was far quieter!

What on earth is going on? Are the Tesla Spotify & Tidal apps set to very low bitrates that strips out a lot of the bass frequencies? I can’t see any way to adjust the audio quality on them like there is on the phone versions of them.

Last edited:
It's more likely the opposite, that is, that the radio station has enhanced the bass. The compression used on Spotify/Tidal will have no perceivable effect on bass frequencies. I wonder if something else is going on though. Your situation reminds me of cars that have separate EQ settings for each input. But I don't think the tesla system does this, does it? Do the EQ sliders change when you select radio vs Spotify as source?

It's more likely the opposite, that is, that the radio station has enhanced the bass. The compression used on Spotify/Tidal will have no perceivable effect on bass frequencies. I wonder if something else is going on though. Your situation reminds me of cars that have separate EQ settings for each input. But I don't think the tesla system does this, does it? Do the EQ sliders change when you select radio vs Spotify as source?
The sliders stay the same. The gain on the radio is higher though, but I did turn the volume up on Spotify & Tidal to make it a fair comparison.

I believe Tidal over premium is a lower quality compared to Tidal over wifi hotspot (I read it on here somewhere).

I've also found that MP3s on a USB stick can be a little underwhelming as if the codec they use is a bit rubbish. Flac can sound better but still not brilliant (I know Flac should sound better, but we're talking mediocre to average not good to very good). Maybe something going on there?

Reactions: teaston
I believe Tidal over premium is a lower quality compared to Tidal over wifi hotspot (I read it on here somewhere).

I've also found that MP3s on a USB stick can be a little underwhelming as if the codec they use is a bit rubbish. Flac can sound better but still not brilliant (I know Flac should sound better, but we're talking mediocre to average not good to very good). Maybe something going on there?
Good thoughts George, I will try Spotify & Tidal over wifi hotspot and see if that makes a difference.

I have noticed something weird today!

I put the radio on, which I rarely do when it’s just me in the car, and the bass was crazy loud, I immediately tried the same song on both Spotify and Tidal and the bass was far quieter!

What on earth is going on? Are the Tesla Spotify & Tidal apps set to very low bitrates that strips out a lot of the bass frequencies? I can’t see any way to adjust the audio quality on them like there is on the phone versions of them.
I don't think they are set to low bitrates. Radio compression should be much higher than Spotify. It's a long time since I've listened to radio (DAB) in a Tesla, but I remember the sound quality was much lower than with Spotify. Far more compressed sound.

Your car seems a bit odd. Bass is not quiet in mine with Spotify. It's quite well balanced across the range. I do have the EQ set slightly up at the bass end, but not much.

Reactions: teaston
I don't think they are set to low bitrates. Radio compression should be much higher than Spotify. It's a long time since I've listened to radio (DAB) in a Tesla, but I remember the sound quality was much lower than with Spotify. Far more compressed sound.

Your car seems a bit odd. Bass is not quiet in mine with Spotify. It's quite well balanced across the range. I do have the EQ set slightly up at the bass end, but not much.

Nobody has mentioned that radio traditionally uses "dynamic compression" ... a different thing completely to the data compression schemes that are used to make file sizes and streaming rates use less bandwidth. It's one of the the reasons TV adverts sound punchier even when you don't turn up the volume. Dynamic compression of music on the radio was/is partly to aid undistorted transmission and when there's not much dynamic range between loudest and quiet sounds such that the noise floor comes into the equation (analogue). It is/was also to allow for the fact that radio is often played on devices with small speakers that benefit from a bass boost. The chances are that @teaston 's radio music comes with this dynamic compression, possibly even on DAB, but certainly on FM.

Reactions: pow216 and teaston
Nobody has mentioned that radio traditionally uses "dynamic compression" ... a different thing completely to the data compression schemes that are used to make file sizes and streaming rates use less bandwidth. It's one of the the reasons TV adverts sound punchier even when you don't turn up the volume. Dynamic compression of music on the radio was/is partly to aid undistorted transmission and when there's not much dynamic range between loudest and quiet sounds such that the noise floor comes into the equation (analogue). It is/was also to allow for the fact that radio is often played on devices with small speakers that benefit from a bass boost. The chances are that @teaston 's radio music comes with this dynamic compression, possibly even on DAB, but certainly on FM.

That could be it, spotify and tidal are normal but the radio frequencies are boosted.

Shame you can’t set the equaliser differently for each of the sources.

I tried premium vs wifi and quality etc seems the same, on Tidal you get the ‘Hifi’ audio quality icon on both.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado