Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One issue I‘ve had with my Model Y compared to my old Model 3 is that there’s hardly any bass at all from the audio system, it wasn’t amazing in the M3, but it was noticeably better than the MY. If I turn the bass and sub sliders all the way up then there is some bass, but it’s very muddy sounding, and still virtually no punchy bass on bass drum sounds from rock music etc. I’m not wanting massive earth shattering bass, I’m far too old for that now, but I would like to feel my music.

I realised that whereas the M3 had some vent holes in the boot side panel where the subwoofer is housed, the MY has none, the panel is completely sealed, and the carpet sections are much more rigid than the flimsy M3 ones; which reminded of the time I fitted my 12” sub box in the boot of my E46 3 Series and got virtually no bass untill I removed a section of the metal bulkhead between the boot and passenger compartment!

I have now cut a hole in the side panel, on the horizontal section, so you will never see it, unless you stick your head underneath, and my initial findings are that it makes a big difference to the bass! Below are photos of where I have cut the hole (I will neaten up the edges with a file).

0A86FEEE-9880-4270-BABA-07B95818E1D5.jpeg
F0202355-A20A-4D2B-87B5-13807ED2A21C.jpeg

Now I could leave it there, but after some research it appears that this 8” Kicker dual voice coil subwoofer should fit in the factory sub enclosure as a direct replacement for the existing sub, and should run off the Tesla amplifier, the Kicker sub needs minimum 150 watts, and the original sub inputs are 2x 80 watts (dual voice coil sub), giving at least 160 watts total. It is likely that the Tesla amp output is a single 80 watt 4 ohm output which is internally connected in parallel, meaning the stock subs two 4 ohm inputs become 2 ohm total, which doubles the amp output to 160 watts. The sub is only £109, so I’ve ordered one to see if it makes a decent improvement.

Here is somebody else’s photo of a similar Kicker sub (a single voice coil one, to be used with an aftermarket amp) fitted into the factory sub enclosure.

E9B7A121-730F-432D-8F5C-272D3BA28C44.jpeg

Also, to get even more bass then it will be fairly easy to add an amplifier to the sub, would need to run a positive cable from the terminal under the rear seat bench, but the rest of the required cables etc. are all behind that boot panel.

I will keep this project updated, if anyone is interested.

• Love
Reactions: Casss
Following with interest. Naturally, any change you make to the venting of the sub enclosure will drastically effect the sound. Hopefully it is for the better. It's hard to believe they provided no path for the sound to get out.
It is strange, the only slight gap in the panel is the thin slit for the seat belt, but this is also a way behind the sub enclosure, in the opposite direction that the sub cone and enclosure port are facing.

Electrics (it’s all intertwined) if you’re replacing the sub.
Interior trim & rattles.
It could only ever affect the warranty on that amp, but the risk of that happening is so tiny, so I’m fine with that. Even if the amp did develop a fault, it would be very easy to put the original sub back in before taking the car to Tesla.

Interior trim and rattles will still be covered, maybe not on that one panel, but so what.

Reactions: VX Foxy
Interesting - I’m a little odd as I typically always get the upgraded hifi and then listen to 5Live most of the time, but I’ll be interested in how you get on.

To get the full Adrian Childs Brummie drone, you really do need a good hifi :)

What part of the warranty will this affect?

I guess anything in that corner of the car might be impacted, who knows if water got in there somehow, but I don't think it would stop me, certainly not the hole.

As an aside I went for a test drive in a MY and thought the hifi was better than the M3 in the sense that the cabin being bigger seemed to give the sound more room to breath and the soundstage was more open. I'm probably sounding like a 1980s hifi geek now and will be saying next it sounds better if you charge the battery on AC and not DC, but it was my initial observation.

Reactions: VX Foxy
I have now done a journey with my hole mod and it really has massively increased the bass!

In fact, i’m not sure I even need the kicker sub now, but I’m going to fit it anyway.

I suppose that if you’re already happy with your bass then this mod might not make a difference, as your bass is already getting out somehow, but if you’re really underwhelmed with the bass then it’s definitely worthwhile trying this mod, especially as it’s completely free and only takes less than 1 minute to do.