Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Supercharger V3 kW Speeds in Cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: What is the temperature considered as battery impacting cold temperatures? That is, at what temperature should we precondition the battery in cold weather. Yes, there are tips on Tesla's support pages, however, I haven't been able to nail down the temperature.
Personally, anything under 50F I pre-condition. The colder it is, the longer I do it (up to 30 min).

Reactions: Jamezam
Thanks MorrisonHiker, and at what temperature does the snowflake icon appear?
Sorry, but I don't know the exact temperature. We don't see it often since our cars are usually garaged overnight. We were on a road trip with an S and a 3 earlier this week and it was down to about 18F outside. After a 500 mile drive, the cars were both parked outside overnight and the Model 3 showed the snowflake and had a cabin temperature of 21F the next morning. The Model S didn't have the snowflake and still had a cabin temperature of 32F. The S has a larger battery so that's probably why the battery and car were slightly warmer the next morning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201209-065718_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-065718_Tesla.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: Matsayz and Jamezam
Sorry, but I don't know the exact temperature. We don't see it often since our cars are usually garaged overnight. We were on a road trip with an S and a 3 earlier this week and it was down to about 18F outside. After a 500 mile drive, the cars were both parked outside overnight and the Model 3 showed the snowflake and had a cabin temperature of 21F the next morning. The Model S didn't have the snowflake and still had a cabin temperature of 32F. The S has a larger battery so that's probably why the battery and car were slightly warmer the next morning.

Very informative, thanks again!

Question: What is the temperature considered as battery impacting cold temperatures? That is, at what temperature should we precondition the battery in cold weather.
The way you are asking this, it sounds like you think there is some action you need to do, like preconditioning, to "help" the battery or to prevent it from damage. There's nothing you need to do.

But as for temperatures to be careful of, that is covered on page 156 of the Model Y owner's manual on the page about the battery:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

"Temperature Limits
For better long-term performance, avoid exposing
Model Y to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C)
or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a
time."

The way you are asking this, it sounds like you think there is some action you need to do, like preconditioning, to "help" the battery or to prevent it from damage. There's nothing you need to do.

But as for temperatures to be careful of, that is covered on page 156 of the Model Y owner's manual on the page about the battery:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

"Temperature Limits
For better long-term performance, avoid exposing
Model Y to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C)
or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a
time."

Thanks Rocky_H, I've highlighted Temperature Limits in my Manual. As far as nothing I need to do, I don't see where preconditioning is automatic, unless I implement scheduled departure. In fact, maybe for those in northern climates, an option for auto-preconditioning may be useful?

Thanks Rocky_H, I've highlighted Temperature Limits in my Manual. As far as nothing I need to do, I don't see where preconditioning is automatic, unless I implement scheduled departure. In fact, maybe for those in northern climates, an option for auto-preconditioning may be useful?
That's why I was clarifying that. The way you were asking that, it sounded like you thought it was something you needed to do for the battery--it's not. But as for pre-warming the cabin? That's for your comfort, and you can do that whenever you like, regardless of what the temperature is.

Reactions: Big Earl
My useless info of the day.
One brake regen dot on the power bar is approximately 2.76 kW of potential brake regen lost.

Per SMT app, full brake regen is capped at 78.4 kW. I had 5 dots on the screen and the max brake regen listed was 64.6 kW.

I always wondered how much each dot was indicating.

Attachments

• 20201211_130758.jpg
    20201211_130758.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 54
My useless info of the day.
One brake regen dot on the power bar is approximately 2.76 kW of potential brake regen lost.

Per SMT app, full brake regen is capped at 78.4 kW. I had 5 dots on the screen and the max brake regen listed was 64.6 kW.

I always wondered how much each dot was indicating.
Except that power bar display is not linear. It's shows much higher "sensitivity" at lower power, near the middle, than at the extremes.

If you can collect the same kind of data at different battery temperatures, we can plot the curve.

I charged at the new Firebaugh supercharger station here in CA and rolled in with 19% SOC and with 54 F outside temp I was able to pull a 189kW charge rate. I’ve supercharged at other V3 stations to 250kW before so I assume its weather related that I couldn’t pull it at this new station as well.

The Firebaugh SC, btw, is awesome, but the roads on all side of the station are in horrible disrepair. Use caution when you approach if you are going to use this station. It was also raining today and the southern approach was flooded and muddy to the point that nobody could use it. Just a word of caution but hopefully this huge new SC stop will inspire the surrounding roads to improve.

Attachments

• 066EF1CA-DD47-463E-91EF-50B592EFF345.jpeg
    066EF1CA-DD47-463E-91EF-50B592EFF345.jpeg
    677.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Informative
compared to my model 3, the model y so far suckssss with battery temp. it stays colder way longer. i did a drive of 2 hours yesterday and it was about 4-8c the whole time and i still had regen dots when i arrived at destination. i hope they can do some software tweaks as its pretty annoying!

Reactions: pt19713
compared to my model 3, the model y so far suckssss with battery temp. it stays colder way longer. i did a drive of 2 hours yesterday and it was about 4-8c the whole time and i still had regen dots when i arrived at destination. i hope they can do some software tweaks as its pretty annoying!
I’d highly recommend watching Bjorn Nyland’s video about his comparison of a 21 M3 vs his 19 M3. He showed what the car with heat pump is doing. In short, it scavenges the heat from the battery to heat the cabin, which helps with less battery consumption.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung