Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand corrected. You're correct that the springs hold the car up.

However, changing only the springs to correct for an overly stiff strut/shock won't soften the ride.

OK, sure. It would simply be nice then to have an option for more compliant shock and strut dampers vs. adjustable coilovers. Not all of us need to 'dial in' our rides, and simply want (like any other car on the market) a range of available shock/strut dampers that meet our preferred ride characteristics.

Reactions: John in LB
OK, sure. It would simply be nice then to have an option for more compliant shock and strut dampers vs. adjustable coilovers. Not all of us need to 'dial in' our rides, and simply want (like any other car on the market) a range of available shock/strut dampers that meet our preferred ride characteristics.
I totally agree. I'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't jumped in with shocks/struts, keeping the OEM springs. That's what I did with several previous VAG products. This is my first time with coilovers, and quite frankly, I'm no more impressed with the setup than I was with my previous VAG products, simply swapping out OEM shocks/struts to Bilstein, Koni, Kyb.

Tesla went a different route than let's say Toyota. Toyota prioritizes soft comfortable ride while Tesla is focusing more on performance. "Better ride" means different things to different people. Personally, I prefer stiffer suspension that gives me better control with less body roll. Adjustable suspension could potentially offer settings to change stiffness based on the driver preference but it comes with the price. For those willing to pay Tesla is offering Model X that already has variable suspension. Model Y is supposed to be a car in the price range acceptable to more people. Not sure if they are willing to add a cost of adjustable suspension without significant price increase.

2 ways to improve the ride of a car.
1 better Tires (tried and true on every car I have owned, from small cars, to small suvs) i will be getting the new michelin ones coming out next month
2 suspension upgrade ( i want to go this route but 3k is a lot to spend... especially if the ride isn't horrible[about the same as my 18 prime but being higher up helps] Saving that 4k for the EAP i hope is coming soon., if not then maybe i will do.
Hi Whispershad, What new Michelins are coming out or are already out? Have you tried them?

Tesla went a different route than let's say Toyota. Toyota prioritizes soft comfortable ride while Tesla is focusing more on performance. "Better ride" means different things to different people. Personally, I prefer stiffer suspension that gives me better control with less body roll. Adjustable suspension could potentially offer settings to change stiffness based on the driver preference but it comes with the price. For those willing to pay Tesla is offering Model X that already has variable suspension. Model Y is supposed to be a car in the price range acceptable to more people. Not sure if they are willing to add a cost of adjustable suspension without significant price increase.
I've driven strictly German cars for 30+years, including BMWs with sport and/or air suspension systems. MYLR is not marketed or branded as a sports car - that's why they offer the MYP. Better ride can also be "stiff" and sophisticated at the same time without air suspension. BMW has been able to accomplish this for years. I don't want a ride like a Toyota, just upgrade the dampers to eliminate the bounciness. I also wouldn't consider $60K "a car in the price range acceptable to more people". $35-45K is that number, not $60K. I would expect more suspension tuning at a $60K price point. And I've already changed out the terrible Contis with Vredstein Quatrac Pros. That certainly helped a bit. But I believe more can be done without a complete suspension replacement.

I've driven strictly German cars for 30+years, including BMWs with sport and/or air suspension systems. MYLR is not marketed or branded as a sports car - that's why they offer the MYP. Better ride can also be "stiff" and sophisticated at the same time without air suspension. BMW has been able to accomplish this for years. I don't want a ride like a Toyota, just upgrade the dampers to eliminate the bounciness. I also wouldn't consider $60K "a car in the price range acceptable to more people". $35-45K is that number, not $60K. I would expect more suspension tuning at a $60K price point. And I've already changed out the terrible Contis with Vredstein Quatrac Pros. That certainly helped a bit. But I believe more can be done without a complete suspension replacement.
I had BMW before and I agree they know how to build sporty yet compliant suspension. BMW suspensions are one of the best in the world, IMO. Tesla is not there yet. However, BMW doesn't have yet reliable electric cars to choose from.
I recently tested RAV4 Prime. I would never consider Tesla if it drove anything like this boat they call RAV4.
What are other choices that have great acceleration, handling and at least relatively luxury inside? I also want a car that has some kind of reliability history behind. It's risky to buy first electric version even from known and established players.
It's all a compromise and Tesla so far appears to be the most logical choice especially considering the Tesla Supercharge network. They are far from perfect and have a lot of room to improve and I think they will giving time.

I'm just under 1k miles. Car actually came with 46psi (cold) and I lowered to 41. I'll see if increasing helps at all.
Why oh why do folks even mention what there car came with. Like it’s like they think the part time high school kid that started 2 weeks ago is some sort of authority tire pressure.

It’s completely random what it comes with.

I shake my head every time someone writes that.

Why oh why do folks even mention what there car came with. Like it’s like they think the part time high school kid that started 2 weeks ago is some sort of authority tire pressure.

It's a public blog. Lower your expectations.
You'd think that 7000 posts would have taught you that. :)

• Funny
Reactions: JonB65 and mswlogo

It should be the college kid that spec'ed the set point on the inflator and not the part time high school kid with the nozzle in his hand. By your logic, the entire car should be haphazardly assembled. Maybe it is. Mine is enroute so I do not know. If "random" tire pressures are coming off the assembly line then there is a manufacturing process failure, not a high school kid failure.

It should be the college kid that spec'ed the set point on the inflator and not the part time high school kid with the nozzle in his hand. By your logic, the entire car should be haphazardly assembled. Maybe it is. Mine is enroute so I do not know. If "random" tire pressures are coming off the assembly line then there is a manufacturing process failure, not a high school kid failure.
Factories will over inflate for shipping. Different locations need different pressure. Are you that naive to think they target the pressure at the factory so ends up at the correct cold psi in your driveway. local prep guy should adjust it. Some do, some don’t, some do it wrong, some put in what they like, some don’t know how to use a pressure gauge. Completely random and pointless to even mention what it was delivered with. About as random as what you get at the tire shop.

Are you that naive to think they target the pressure at the factory so ends up at the correct cold psi in your driveway.
At least I am not naive enough to think that they stuck an idiot on the line and told him to put in what ever pressure he wants to. There should be a spec pressure applied when it leaves the factory. The car should leave the factory in-spec. It is neither futile or pointless. They aren't trying to make it good a year from now in Alaska. If it gets to Alaska and needs to be bumped, the delivery prep team should check and adjust it. If it is too low in your driveway, cold, then you should adjust it.

"Factories overinflate for shipping" files in the face of your assertion that some dumb kid just put in what he wanted to. If the factory's intention is that they leave 5 psi high or whatever, then that is the spec and the set point for the inflator. You refuted your own claim.

You guys are missing the point. People are indicating the initial pressure, because that's what was the setting when we drove the car for the 1st XXX miles. Later, when we lowered the pressure, we are providing a relative feel for the car - in comparison to that initial pressure. This has nothing to do with any people on the assembly line, or at the service center...