Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the Tein shocks on just the rear of the 2020 Model Y, and lowered the PSI to 36 PSI. Wow, it's finally an acceptable ride now. Night and day different. My Tein shocks are set at 1/4 of max stiffness (set with 12 counterclockwise clicks from the max clockwise setting). The total cost was around $330 and the DIY was easy.

Where/how to get the rear Tein shocks only?

Reactions: bnsfengineer
Where/how to get the rear Tein shocks only?

I think this company decided to stop selling the rear only because it was very bad for profitability. Of course, they don't say that. Instead they insinuate that your Tesla will do a backflip and leap off a cliff if you only do the rear. I have yet to die by just doing the rear, so they may be exaggerating.

Reactions: GOVA
I think this company decided to stop selling the rear only because it was very bad for profitability. Of course, they don't say that. Instead they insinuate that your Tesla will do a backflip and leap off a cliff if you only do the rear. I have yet to die by just doing the rear, so they may be exaggerating.

Well, I think besides the profitability aspect, I would imagine a majority of the customer purchasing a set of adjustable shocks would buy them as a complete set.

It could also be that Tein doesn't sell them separately, and then it would be extremely difficult for vendor to separate them out to sell them individually. They could end up with 2 fronts that no one is buying.

Of course, all a guess from my part.

Or maybe share where you can purchase just a rear set so other member can benefit from your purchasing experience.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Well, I think besides the profitability aspect, I would imagine a majority of the customer purchasing a set of adjustable shocks would buy them as a complete set.

It could also be that Tein doesn't sell them separately, and then it would be extremely difficult for vendor to separate them out to sell them individually. They could end up with 2 fronts that no one is buying.

Of course, all a guess from my part.

Or maybe share where you can purchase just a rear set so other member can benefit from your purchasing experience.

Or maybe did share the company that sold me just the rear and you missed it.

Ditto that. If that is Gjeebs, your videos are hysterical in the best way (also very informative).

Good info in this thread and a massive amount of additional opinions and information can be found within this site in other threads. Tire pressure 36-38 is best for comfort and I've run 19's, 20's and 21's they all feel pretty similar to me in that psi range and as long as you have about 4.5" of sidewall. I am on MPP adjustable Comforts and a few of my thoughts can be found here:

Post in thread 'Model Y Suspension Suggestions' Model Y Suspension Suggestions

Reactions: YisSerL
THIS JUST IN!

For those interested in NOT lowering your Model 3/Y, we now have DAMPER ONLY versions of our FPX and Redwood-Ohlins Long-Stroke kits! These include front spring adapters, instead of front and rear replacement springs, in order to reuse your factory springs in conjunction with the benefits of our custom Redwood-Ohlins and Redwood-FPX adjustable Grand Touring (GT) dampers - for a more affordable price, and more affordable install as it takes less labor to install and setup (no front spring height adjustment, and no removal of the rear spring). Since these use the same components from our FPX and Ohlins Long-Stroke kits, they can also be *upgraded* to full coilovers at a later date!

In addition, all kits (including full coilover kits) come with our *new and improved* one piece FULLY FORGED lower forks - stronger, and lighter than our previous version!

Reactions: GOVA