Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty damming review of the suspension on the Y at the end of this video. Hopefully they address this soon as this seems to be a common complaint.

It was fine for me when I drove it. I listened to all those reviews so was expecting the worst but I was pleasantly surprised. It all depends on the person that’s driving it, what car they have come from and what is acceptable to them. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Pretty damming review of the suspension on the Y at the end of this video. Hopefully they address this soon as this seems to be a common complaint.

I've watched a lot of his reviews and he really does know his stuff and has the benefit of being able to compare against other premium brands. I'm hoping mine on 19" will be better than the test drive I had because I actually do want a comfortable ride. I can see myself ending up having to replace the shock springs or sit on a thick memory foam cushion 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Chickenlips
Model Y suspension is, without a doubt, the worst thing about the car. It’s why I sold mine and will not be considering another until they implement air suspension.
All a bit concerning. There are thousands of MY's already steaming towards the UK. All ordered without the benefit of a test drive because no cars here until a week ago and even then only a few and all with 20" inductions. Despite the tingles of excitement with only 3 and a bit weeks until collection day, it's impossible to not take notice when people say they really hate the ride :oops:

All a bit concerning. There are thousands of MY's already steaming towards the UK. All ordered without the benefit of a test drive because no cars here until a week ago and even then only a few and all with 20" inductions. Despite the tingles of excitement with only 3 and a bit weeks until collection day, it's impossible to not take notice when people say they really hate the ride :oops:
Most everyone in the US orders without a test drive as well. Tesla sells every car they can build. There is really no incentive for them to address the ride quality issue until it starts coming out in the automotive press (which it has) and people think twice about clicking the “orde” button because of it.

Most everyone in the US orders without a test drive as well. Tesla sells every car they can build. There is really no incentive for them to address the ride quality issue until it starts coming out in the automotive press (which it has) and people think twice about clicking the “orde” button because of it.
I test drove one here in Maryland last March before purchasing. Generally I would never buy a car without a test drive. My MY suspension on 20” wheels is a bit harsh but not bad. I drive quite aggressively and quite enjoy the car. There is aftermarket suspension available.

There is aftermarket suspension available.
The issue in the UK with that approach is that choice is limited, most aftermarket suspension is positioned for performance and can be even harder than stock, and what there is has a large price markup compared to the US. It is also seen as a major modification to our insurance companies so you pay higher premiums, and some won't even provide cover for modifications.

Both 3 and Y have what most would call a sporty suspension. Offers nimble handling and a controlled ride. Tires typically run at relatively higher pressures to give longer range. The wheels are large and tires offer wide contact patches.

Many prefer this tuning. Some, of course, will prefer a softer tuning. Want a more cushy ride, will less emphasis on handling. Totally understandable.

Best cars ever to offer a soft ride, while at the same time giving thrilling handling came from Jaguar.

After a AMG C63 on 19" wheels the M3 Dual Motor on 18" wheels is refined and wonderful.
I had a Model S D75 as a loaner: terrible ride and handling, a typical American sponge. If the M3 had been like that I'd never have ordered.
I guess expectation is based on experience.

The issue in the UK with that approach is that choice is limited, most aftermarket suspension is positioned for performance and can be even harder than stock, and what there is has a large price markup compared to the US. It is also seen as a major modification to our insurance companies so you pay higher premiums, and some won't even provide cover for modifications.
Mountain Pass Performance sell a Comfort suspension kit and an Adjustable Comfort Suspension kit for the Model Y. MPP is a Canadian company but the kit is based on KW3 (German) suspension and is quite reasonably priced. I have the adjustable kit on my M3P and it has improved the ride and suspension control (less lean and jolting) and only increased the insurance by 5 to 10%.

Having done back to back test drives of a Model Y LR and a Model 3 LR with my wife we both felt that there was hardly any difference between the two.

Reactions: MrT3
Mountain Pass Performance sell a Comfort suspension kit and an Adjustable Comfort Suspension kit for the Model Y. MPP is a Canadian company but the kit is based on KW3 (German) suspension and is quite reasonably priced. I have the adjustable kit on my M3P and it has improved the ride and suspension control (less lean and jolting) and only increased the insurance by 5 to 10%.

Having done back to back test drives of a Model Y LR and a Model 3 LR with my wife we both felt that there was hardly any difference between the two.

@Tevo Solutions also offer a Bilstein suspension kit for the Model 3 if you want to source something locally.

I am quite intrigued by that MPP kit, but am a little worried about the lack of support in the UK for it.

Reactions: Tevo Solutions
@Tevo Solutions also offer a Bilstein suspension kit for the Model 3 if you want to source something locally.

I am quite intrigued by that MPP kit, but am a little worried about the lack of support in the UK for it.
We'll be developing a kit specifically for the Y this year. Having driven one, it's not best suited for UK roads the way it comes from the factory.

Before I got my 3 I was running a BMW 335i with an after-market Schnitzer suspension. It had slightly lowered and stiffer springs and uprated dampers. It was pretty firm. In comparison I found the 3 a little more forgiving. My wife now has an ID3 and I must say the suspension in that is excellent. Much softer and more compliant than the 3 and actually it seems to better fit my style now (I'm getting older!!). Now when I drive the 3 I often find it too jarring. So, all this talk really depends on your expectations and previous experience. I suspect the Y is fine, unless you're coming from an X with air suspension or a Range Rover.

Quite the opposite, he noted that the high speed handling was pretty bad.
I maxed out my 3 in Germany a year or so ago. Despite the car being relatively new, with tyres in good nick, and AFAIK no steering or suspension geometry problems, I found it got palm-sweatingly twitchy at speeds over 120mph. Pushing 140mph I really wasn't comfortable at all. I'd previously maxed out my 335i at 155mph indicated and it felt far more stable.