Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tail Light/Brake Light Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently test drove a 2021 Model Y, no new headlights or center console however it did have newer features like the metal scroll wheel buttons and the drive in the glovebox. After I got home I was looking at some of the pictures I took from the day and noticed that something seemed off about the tail lights.

The picture was taken while another person was pressing the brakes. I currently drive a 2020 Model 3 so I'm not sure if the lights are different, however something seemed not right. You can see the top brake light is lit up, and instead of the middle lights being lit up, which are also where the turn signals are on both the 3 and Y, the side portions of the tail light are lit up. The headlights were not on at the time so this is strange to me. Also, the portion of the tail light that is on the lift gate is not fully lit up but there is a tiny portion that is. Am I just ignorant to how the lights on this car work or is there something else going on?

Would appreciate any feedback as this has been bothering me for a while, haha. Looking into purchasing a Model Y but if defective tail lights are something to be weary of, it would be good to know before I make a purchase. Thanks!
IMG_8445.jpeg

Am I just ignorant to how the lights on this car work or is there something else going on?
As others pointed out, the Model Y recently got new taillights (with amber turn signals) so they may work differently. The telltale sign supposedly is the shade of red is brighter (which they appear to be in your picture). However, that does not necessarily eliminate that example as being defective, just there is a possibility that the change is from this.

Reactions: joeyjackson
As others pointed out, the Model Y recently got new taillights (with amber turn signals) so they may work differently. The telltale sign supposedly is the shade of red is brighter (which they appear to be in your picture). However, that does not necessarily eliminate that example as being defective, just there is a possibility that the change is from this.

I did notice that the lights seemed brighter than those on my current Model 3! I have yet to see a video on how the tail lights work specifically, such as which parts light up depending on "what you tell the car to do." Thanks for the info!