Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y TeslaVision Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All, before you ask *yes* I searched this topic.

So, I have a brand new (August delivery) MYP with the Tesla Vision system. For the most part, I am enjoying the car (first electric car, first Tesla etc etc) but I have noticed that, even in the most basic situations, my autopilot does not really work as advertised. For context, I live in the burbs of Austin and we have very normal very well-marked mostly un-divided 4 lane highways that I would think the car would have no trouble with. I would not call any of these roads a challenge. There is a mix of 4 lanes with a center turn lane, some 4 lane without a turn lane, and a smattering of really twisty little roads mostly around the lake/river.

I can engage the autopilot on any of the big main roads (71/360/620/290, Bee Cave rd, 2222 mostly for those who know Austin). If there is *any kind* of turn of even a few degrees, the car does not seem to know how to stay in the lanes - the AP lanes are *always blue* when this happens so I know the car thinks it sees them. On a regular basis when I test this, the car almost always crosses the lines on either side and I am forced to take over and correct manually. I don't think I have ever had occasion to have the AP on for more than like 5 minutes, it always tries to do unsafe stuff. The car just crossed over 2000 miles FYI.

The question is - does your experience line up with this? Do I need service or should I just wait for software to fix this...

Since the model 3 and Y are the only tesla vision only cars currently, and are basically the same car except for storage space, perhaps the very large (22 page+) thread in the model 3 subforum on tesla vision might be of interest?

...If there is *any kind* of turn of even a few degrees, the car does not seem to know how to stay in the lanes - the AP lanes are *always blue* when this happens so I know the car thinks it sees them. On a regular basis when I test this, the car almost always crosses the lines on either side and I am forced to take over and correct manually. I don't think I have ever had occasion to have the AP on for more than like 5 minutes, it always tries to do unsafe stuff. The car just crossed over 2000 miles FYI...

Does this happen as frequently as 5 minutes on a straight road too? How fast was the speed?

Autopilot works great in some curves and not others. Sometimes if you memorize which curves, a simple reduction of the speed from 80mph to 65 or 55 mph could do wonders. On the other hand, at "curves of deaths", no matter what speed like 25mph in a local street, it would still cross the double yellow line.

That's how Autopilot works. That's why your owner's manual calls it "beta", so it does work as advertised: It works as an incomplete product (you can keep dry in an incomplete house but as soon as it rains, you'll be all wet because the roof is not finished).

Does this happen as frequently as 5 minutes on a straight road too? How fast was the speed?

Autopilot works great in some curves and not others. Sometimes if you memorize which curves, a simple reduction of the speed from 80mph to 65 or 55 mph could do wonders. On the other hand, at "curves of deaths", no matter what speed like 25mph in a local street, it would still cross the double yellow line.

That's how Autopilot works. That's why your owner's manual calls it "beta", so it does work as advertised: It works as an incomplete product (you can keep dry in an incomplete house but as soon as it rains, you'll be all wet because the roof is not finished).
Yeah, I am seeing a lot of similar press on these other threads.

For my case in particular: None of the roads around here are totally straight, but these are really mild curves. The ones around me are all 4 lanes and 55 mph. I generally dont mess with cruise except on the big wide roads. I guess I was just surprised after all the press over it over the years that it didnt work better than it does. I realize TV is new this year, so I think we just wait for them to catch up with software. I also assume FSD is much better than this even in mild conditions. When it gets a little more "baked" I think I may try that too.

Cheers
J

Radar is not helping you to take curve lol cameras do

To clarify, this is not about radar or radarless, it's about which firmware version.

It's not even about whether the version has radar or radarless but the parameters of radar or radarless are meant to identify which version that is.

And it's important to identify which version that is because one version has been polished since 2016 till now, and the other version is new starting just recently.

So the issue is now parity: Is the new version caught up with the older version yet?

In theory, pure vision should be much better especially, now there is no competing radar sensor or "sensor fusion" to mess things up.

However, the fact is still that the pure version didn't get here until now and it needs time to achieve parity with the older version.

Reactions: WhiteWi

So, I have a brand new (August delivery) MYP with the Tesla Vision system. For the most part, I am enjoying the car (first electric car, first Tesla etc etc) but I have noticed that, even in the most basic situations, my autopilot does not really work as advertised. For context, I live in the burbs of Austin and we have very normal very well-marked mostly un-divided 4 lane highways that I would think the car would have no trouble with. I would not call any of these roads a challenge. There is a mix of 4 lanes with a center turn lane, some 4 lane without a turn lane, and a smattering of really twisty little roads mostly around the lake/river.

I can engage the autopilot on any of the big main roads (71/360/620/290, Bee Cave rd, 2222 mostly for those who know Austin). If there is *any kind* of turn of even a few degrees, the car does not seem to know how to stay in the lanes - the AP lanes are *always blue* when this happens so I know the car thinks it sees them. On a regular basis when I test this, the car almost always crosses the lines on either side and I am forced to take over and correct manually. I don't think I have ever had occasion to have the AP on for more than like 5 minutes, it always tries to do unsafe stuff. The car just crossed over 2000 miles FYI.

The question is - does your experience line up with this? Do I need service or should I just wait for software to fix this...

I bitch and moan about AP and TACC all the time, but I don't have this problem. One thing to consider is this, is the car really leaving the lane, or is it crowding the outside line where you normally crowd the inside line so it seems to you like it is leaving the lane?

For me it took a while to realize that when driving in a strait line I tend to crowd the outside line, so when AP centers the car it seems like it is crowding the center line. If perception isn't the issue, then I wonder if your camera calibration is off?

Keith

I bitch and moan about AP and TACC all the time, but I don't have this problem. One thing to consider is this, is the car really leaving the lane, or is it crowding the outside line where you normally crowd the inside line so it seems to you like it is leaving the lane?

For me it took a while to realize that when driving in a strait line I tend to crowd the outside line, so when AP centers the car it seems like it is crowding the center line. If perception isn't the issue, then I wonder if your camera calibration is off?

Keith
Keith,

So good point - perception is 90% of reality. :). However, yes Ive noticed it actually leaving its lane, both hugging the center and crossing the actual outside market. The camera calibration sounds like a good idea. Nothing to lose, I guess.

Cheers
J