Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Test Drive and … Upcoming Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if the Y has the auto park feature, but that is a possibility, but auto parks is a little time consuming, so if you are not in a hurry, it should work for you
It's part of FSD which I didn't buy. I'm sure I can get into my spot, very slowly and carefully, but even my own more narrow car has battle scars from clipping the concrete support column to the left of me. This really sucks. The parking space cannot even be changed as its deeded to my condo apartment.

Reactions: Electric Steve
It's part of FSD which I didn't buy. I'm sure I can get into my spot, very slowly and carefully, but even my own more narrow car has battle scars from clipping the concrete support column to the left of me. This really sucks. The parking space cannot even be changed as its deeded to my condo apartment.
The nice thing is the car will 'ding' and tell you how close you are.

Many ICE cars have agressive "tip in" throttles. Make the cars feel more powerful than they are.

Tesla throttles are more linear. Exquisite throttle control at low speeds, plus linear torque application as you press further.

Tesla have tremendous throttle response with great smooth thrust. The standard/Long Range models have very satisfying performance, while the Performance option gives you full WACKY response.

Prospective buyers need to call around to their local facilities to see who might have cars available for demo. Went to Orange County a couple weeks ago and they had 2 Model Ys for demo. They seemed to be pretty popular. You just needed to set up a time for your demo ride and they would send your off by yourself on local roads to get a feel for the car. Having a home button for navigation made everyone comfortable finding their way back to the stable.

Reactions: Electric Steve
The Warwick RI location said they had 2 available Saturday. I hope mine wasn't one of them.
Thanks. Too far for me though. Will wait for the Natick store to open. As per Tesla, since the store is in the mall, it won't open until the Governer allows the malls to open. But they can work with people for contact less test drives by appointment. They don't have any Model Ys for that yet. I will check again next month.

I got my Red Model Y today. It's gorgeous! I didn't see any of the problems that so many people have had. We had nothing on our due bill, which is a lot better than the experience I had with my BMW Model 3 back in 2011. It performs very well and is at least as much fun to drive as the 2017 Model S we own. The battery consumption seems to be a lot better than the Model S as well.

I got my Red Model Y today. It's gorgeous! I didn't see any of the problems that so many people have had. We had nothing on our due bill, which is a lot better than the experience I had with my BMW Model 3 back in 2011. It performs very well and is at least as much fun to drive as the 2017 Model S we own. The battery consumption seems to be a lot better than the Model S as well.
Congrats! LR or Perf ?

LR. It’s fast enough as it is and I still own a Dinan Stage 2 BMW 335xi with 408 hp. This sucker is fast I did get FSD via credit card (MILES!) immediately though.

Also in case any of you have NOT bought yet. The car is crazy ass fast, but if you need to get in or out of your garage the car can creep so precisely, it’s amazing.

Finally, yes I already have a scratch. Ran the thing into a boulder that fell into the driveway. It’s on the plastic trim on the driver’s side. Ugh.

• Funny
Reactions: IdaBish
LR. It’s fast enough as it is and I still own a Dinan Stage 2 BMW 335xi with 408 hp. This sucker is fast I did get FSD via credit card (MILES!) immediately though.

Also in case any of you have NOT bought yet. The car is crazy ass fast, but if you need to get in or out of your garage the car can creep so precisely, it’s amazing.

Finally, yes I already have a scratch. Ran the thing into a boulder that fell into the driveway. It’s on the plastic trim on the driver’s side. Ugh.

Congrats again. Imho Red is best looking color but my wife already has red....thus the Blue for me it looks like. I already have white and wanted to change it up

Did you pay taxes on the fsd? I’m asking since we don’t pay taxes on the car in Jersey

Pics!

Did you pay taxes on the fsd? I’m asking since we don’t pay taxes on the car in Jersey
Yes, Tesla charges sales tax on the post-delivery FSD purchase. I've argued this contravenes California law (since there is no physical media delivered), but there is an arcane interpretation that FSD functionality is built into the hardware and merely "activated" so it's taxable.

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn
Yes, Tesla charges sales tax on the post-delivery FSD purchase. I've argued this contravenes California law (since there is no physical media delivered), but there is an arcane interpretation that FSD functionality is built into the hardware and merely "activated" so it's taxable.
That's interesting - does that means software is untaxed if it's a download, and taxed if you get it on a CD/DVD?

Also, if I remember correctly, the $2K acceleration boost for the M3 was not taxed (I might be wrong on this one).

Yes the FSD is taxed. $463.75. And yes, I the $7463 got me 7463 miles on United (alas, the vehicle purchase could not be charged on my credit card). That isn't worth $463, but it is nice to get the miles and $463 is sure worth it to get the $5,000 NJ cash back on the car.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn
Many ICE cars have agressive "tip in" throttles. Make the cars feel more powerful than they are.

Tesla throttles are more linear. Exquisite throttle control at low speeds, plus linear torque application as you press further.

Tesla have tremendous throttle response with great smooth thrust. The standard/Long Range models have very satisfying performance, while the Performance option gives you full WACKY response.

Prospective buyers need to call around to their local facilities to see who might have cars available for demo. Went to Orange County a couple weeks ago and they had 2 Model Ys for demo. They seemed to be pretty popular. You just needed to set up a time for your demo ride and they would send your off by yourself on local roads to get a feel for the car. Having a home button for navigation made everyone comfortable finding their way back to the stable.
When I test-drove a non-Performance Model 3, I was a bit afraid of the throttle but quickly found that it gave me plenty of control. When I floored it, it moved, but I could still get moderate acceleration out of it by being a bit less lead-footed. That was a big part of what convinced me to buy the Y.