Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Test Drive -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I was at Ala Moana, I stopped by the Tesla store to check out the Model Y Performance in the showroom. Out back, they had two LR AWDs, one with 19” wheels and one with 20” wheels. The one with Geminis was their demo vehicle and I took it on a short test drive.

I thought seeing it in person and actually driving it, after months of only seeing it on a screen and ordering it sight unseen, might push me to move forward. Unfortunately, I left a bit disappointed.

The first thing I noticed on all three was the paint. I know most cars will have some level of variance between the plastic bumpers and the metal body, but the rear bumpers of both of the ones outside were way off. The driver’s door on the Performance inside also seemed to be a different shade from the rest of the body.

When I opened the hatch of the Performance in the showroom, it got stuck about a quarter of the way up and then made a loud cracking noise as it overcame whatever was causing the resistance. The was also a missing scuff plate inside and the trim around the map lights was crooked and a little loose.

All of this is correctable, of course, And I know the service centers seem to be fixing these defects to owners’ satisfaction. But none of this exudes confidence in the quality of the vehicles.

Sorry, hit “post” too quickly and then it timed out while editing.

On the road, acceleration was excellent, as expected. One-pedal driving is great, and something I think I could easily get used to. I love the simplicity of the interior. Showing the side cameras when the reverse camera is activated is a welcome addition.

The 20” Induction wheels look so much better in person than they do blown out in photos.

Visibility wasn’t as good as I would have liked. I also would have liked an actual blind spot monitor/indicator in the mirrors. I had a hard time looking at the screen before changing lanes, as some have recommended in lieu of having the blind spot indicators.

I was surprised at how much noise entered the cabin while driving down Ala Moana Blvd. It might be because of the lack of engine noise, but there was a lot of tire rumble and what sounded like things rattling around.

I kept my test drive short, so maybe a longer drive would be worth doing to get a better feel of the vehicle. But I didn’t feel as excited as I was after test driving the Model 3 for the first time. Call it cold feet, but I’ll probably keep my order pushed out...for now.

ED1919A8-2E73-4416-A51D-286EA1A5961F.jpeg
58D389C5-5365-4E82-8971-AF65514D4813.jpeg
668BB7E1-93EC-4BA9-B147-B7920A01CCE5.jpeg

What a shame! The showroom car should have been a better quality car.

The VIN on the showroom car was 11XXX and was pretty close to the VIN I was assigned and gave back. If the one I was assigned was painted the same way as the one in the showroom, I would have been very disappointed.

I’m glad I took it on a test drive. It’s a good car, but I’ll probably let my order lapse.

New member, long time researcher on the forum. Did a test drive on Sunday of the LR AWD non-performance with 20" Induction wheels (they also had a Performance available and asked me which I wanted to test drive). Agree with most of the comments in this topic, but didn't find the 20" wheels to be too noisy or harsh even though my daily drive is a Lexus RX350. I wanted to see if this wheel setup might be too harsh for the island roads, found out they're not too bad although I'll probably just get the stock wheels to mellow out the ride.

After studying here for months I knew what to look for on my test drive and the panel fit wasn't perfect, but not bad if you don't actually measure them, but what stood out was nicked paint on the hatch hinge mounting bolts showing signs they had to loosen them to adjust the hatch after they left the factory. Also noticed some dings in the paint of the hinge itself evidently where the hinge pieces touched when closed. OK, you could touch up the paint but it was just evidence that it wasn't right from the factory.

As noted before, I too wasn't THAT impressed after driving the Model Y but it was probably because the first time I drove the Model 3 it was such a eye-opener. I took out their Model 3 LR AWD back in January in anticipation of ordering a Model Y and just wanted to see if I would like an EV. I was skeptical, but after the drive was convinced enough to just drop the $100 and get in line.

Wife was along for the ride this time and now she's excited and keeps pushing me to hurry up and finalize my order while i'm stalling waiting/hoping build quality improves.

Tesla did surprise me with a decent trade-in value for my 2013 RX350 which was at the upper end of online trade-in/retail values. This kind of pushed me to move ahead after the Lexus store low-balled my trade value while shopping for a replacement, the BMW store was even worse low-balling me way under market value.

Tesla did surprise me with a decent trade-in value for my 2013 RX350 which was at the upper end of online trade-in/retail values. This kind of pushed me to move ahead after the Lexus store low-balled my trade value while shopping for a replacement, the BMW store was even worse low-balling me way under market value.

Heard they are being more aggressive on trade-in values in an effort to sell more cars.

My initial trade in assessment on my 4Runner (right before the COVID shut down) was also towards the upper end of KBB's trade-in values. The re-assessment in June brought it down by about 12%, but that's when used car values as a whole had plummeted. Since then, the market seems to have evened out.

Well I'm STILL waiting for the MY to arrive after finalizing the order, submitting trade in info, license info, etc. and since its taking so long Tesla reassessed the trade in twice already when initial offers expired. First round, they maintained the original trade in offer. Second round, they dropped by $2,000 which is a bummer but I knew their initial offer was on the high end.

And yet I STILL am waiting for a delivery .......... at least the silver lining is that I hope the build quality has improved, I get the improved front door glass, etc. At least I can hope since I keep waiting.