Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting on the noise/ride quality. We did a test drive from Manchester on Sunday. My wife came with me and drove first. She hadn’t read any report or reviews so had no pre conceptions. We currently drive an iPace. She said the ride was no different to the iPace, and sound levels very similar, she said the Y was as quiet as the iPace. We did 99% of the drive with the radio off.

Had the test drive today at the Trafford Centre.

Positives: The boot is cavernous.. with the seats down you could sleep in it. Taller ride height than the model 3.
Negatives: Cabin noise! At 10mph across the car park it sounded like the road surface was being amplified into the cabin. *much* louder than the model 3 (as night and day difference). Curiously it never really rose much above that noise floor (I wasn't able to get above 40mph on the test drive due to traffic levels). Brakes.. might have been just this car but had to stop quickly and the brake didn't engage until the pedal was nearly on the floor, by which time I'd travelled several feet further than I intended.
Neutral: Suspension is the same as the model 3.. bone shaker over humps, but I'm used to it by now. Size.. it's big.. so big there was discussion whether it would fit in our driveway..

Alas due to the noise, which my wife found unpleasant and difficult to cope with she has vetoed the model Y as a future car. So I have to look elsewhere.. I could likely cope but it has to be for trips for the both of us.
Thanks for your comments but I have drove the Y last Saturday up to 70mph and to be honest I didn't find the car noisy. Pretty much the same or less than my Honda CRV

Very interesting the comments about the noise. I was contemplating a possible swap to the Y but my kids are still too young (2 and 4), I already have roof racks and box for the 2 times per year I actually need the extra space.
I got used to the noise levels of 3; I certainly don't want to move to something more noisy. It would be interesting to see in the future if the German ones are any better.

I believe the German build is supposed to use the 4680 battery pack which is integrated in the car and the car itself will be build as a single structural part? (cant remember the exact term).
If that is the case then parts will be completely different from the US and China ones. Although it looks like Model Ys build in Texas will be same with Berlin.
As said I am not in hurry for Y so I will seat back and wait to see the changes and how that single structure behaves in real terms.

Last edited:
Problem with the noise is it wasn't just oh that's road noise it was 'what the bloody hell is that' noise. It made the model 3 seem silent by comparison and I've complained enough about that. I quite believe the poster who measured 100db peaks.

The threads have people buying new tyres, filling the car with noise dampening.. a new car shouldn't need that. It's a basic quality issue that if it was easily fixable would be fixed on the demonstration cars as it's going to lose them a lot of sales.. Even if only 10% of model Y are like that it's a massive risk.

I wonder if the noise is generated by the way the boot is separated by the back row of seats?
I just noticed that the boot area is not really separated. My wife's mini for example which is a hatch has that self on the boot. When we have to take it off to fit a pram the noise difference is significant. I wonder if that's the reason?
If that's the case I cant see how it can be fixed.

The plan was that UK would be totally supplied with MY from Berlin from Q2 however as we know Berlin is not producing the goods.
Australia have now been told they are on the back burner because Shanghai will have to continue to supply MY to EU because of the German failure.
I don't know (yet) if the UK will continue to be supplied from Shanghai in Q2 but I have my feelers out.
I do know that some folks in Tesla are not very extremely unhappy with certain German politicians though.
Watch for Elon's Gulfstream jet winging it's way across the pond for a little chat.
So since MYP were not due until June were they all supposed to be German built then? and if Germany is late do you think that will mean China MYP instead or a delay in the MYP?
Also how do you know all this? and if you have so many contacts maybe see if any of them have a spare HV battery kicking around....:)

Problem with the noise is it wasn't just oh that's road noise it was 'what the bloody hell is that' noise. It made the model 3 seem silent by comparison and I've complained enough about that. I quite believe the poster who measured 100db peaks.

The threads have people buying new tyres, filling the car with noise dampening.. a new car shouldn't need that. It's a basic quality issue that if it was easily fixable would be fixed on the demonstration cars as it's going to lose them a lot of sales.. Even if only 10% of model Y are like that it's a massive risk.

Was this in the Manchester car Tony? If so what colour was it and what kind of noise? we drove the grey one on Sunday and didn't notice anything that made us ask what the hell is that noise!!

Just to increase the sample size of feedback, I also went for a test drive in the Model Y on Monday at Thorpe Park. I did certainly notice more noise in the MY than in my 2021 M3 initially, including random clicks/rattles coming from the back (perhaps seats, didn't check), but I also managed to take it out on the M25 and it was absolutely fine there - or perhaps I just got used to it! It was fitted with the 20" Inductions - rumbled a bit on the local roads but performed well at speed. I'm not surprised it's a bit noisier - that cargo space and the all glass roof are going to bounce the sound around a bit more. It looks a lot wider and taller than the M3 when you're right next to it, but oddly didn't feel that much bigger to drive. The rated dimensions are only about 5cm wider, but on a fairly hasty and unscientific wheel-edge-to-wheel-edge measurement with a tape measure it seemed closer to 10cm.
I can also confirm that the one I drove had the Ryzen, and rear laminated glass - no parcel shelf. None of the noise concerns will probably stop me from taking it when it gets here from its long voyage. That said, we have narrow parking spaces outside the house and that could be more of a concern than the rumbles etc. I'll probably look into an aftermarket parcel shelf too.

Reactions: dangrenade
For anyone trying to get a test drive slot.. I tried the link in this thread at 10pm last night and managed to snag a slot this afternoon at 5pm in Thorpe Park. Seems like they pop up randomly if there are cancellations, etc. So keep trying!

I wonder if the noise is generated by the way the boot is separated by the back row of seats?
I just noticed that the boot area is not really separated. My wife's mini for example which is a hatch has that self on the boot. When we have to take it off to fit a pram the noise difference is significant. I wonder if that's the reason?
If that's the case I cant see how it can be fixed.

That's a good point and it's probably contributing. Any hatchback that I've had has been much noisier with the parcel shelf removed (and, of course, even more so if the rear seats are down too).

Just to increase the sample size of feedback, I also went for a test drive in the Model Y on Monday at Thorpe Park. I did certainly notice more noise in the MY than in my 2021 M3 initially, including random clicks/rattles coming from the back (perhaps seats, didn't check), but I also managed to take it out on the M25 and it was absolutely fine there - or perhaps I just got used to it! It was fitted with the 20" Inductions - rumbled a bit on the local roads but performed well at speed. I'm not surprised it's a bit noisier - that cargo space and the all glass roof are going to bounce the sound around a bit more. It looks a lot wider and taller than the M3 when you're right next to it, but oddly didn't feel that much bigger to drive. The rated dimensions are only about 5cm wider, but on a fairly hasty and unscientific wheel-edge-to-wheel-edge measurement with a tape measure it seemed closer to 10cm.
I can also confirm that the one I drove had the Ryzen, and rear laminated glass - no parcel shelf. None of the noise concerns will probably stop me from taking it when it gets here from its long voyage. That said, we have narrow parking spaces outside the house and that could be more of a concern than the rumbles etc. I'll probably look into an aftermarket parcel shelf too.

I would hold on purchasing any aftermarket parcel shelf, hopefully it may come with one according to the U.K. manual -> Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

:)

Last edited by a moderator: