Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for that. How did the test experience go? Your thoughts/ feedback will be appreciated.

It was good. Bit bumpy as it feels like it has stiff springs and the demo cars are on 20" wheels, but I wasn't longing for my previous Macan with air suspension.

It doesn't feel like a Model 3 to drive to me. The seating position is a lot higher whereas in the Model 3 it feels like you're sitting on the floor by comparison. The test route is crap because you cannot get over 40mph and I really wanted to test it on the M25 as that's where you start to really understand what the car is like to live with.

I had a Model 3 Performance a while ago and the Model Y LR still felt silly fast to me because the pick up is so instant.

Can anyone confirm if the Model Ys for the test drive have a parcel shelf? Based on this they should?

They don't.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doudeau and Envchem
I feel like the seat in my M3 won’t go low enough, but I’m coming from BMW. I know the Y will feel higher, but the Westfield one didn’t feel too high. Looking forward to driving it at Thorpe Park tomorrow, but will want M25 time on the 20’’ inductions!

Can anyone confirm if the Model Ys for the test drive have a parcel shelf? Based on this they should?
IMG_20220109_082643.jpg

Thanks for photo mate. Looks like they haven't implemented that shelf then.
I bet after market options will be available. Or a guard for when loading boot to the brim.
Had an instance in the past where boot was loaded to the brim and after a hard break I had a few things (not heavy thank God) landing on my head while I was sitting on the back. (ages ago when was still being driven around by my dad).
Pretty sure that any extra noise originates by this approach.

Seems rather strange that they aren't including it especially when you can see through the tint, I know some said they never used parcel shelves but I would think many people would like one

Reactions: RichardTheKing
Thanks for photo mate. Looks like they haven't implemented that shelf then.
I bet after market options will be available. Or a guard for when loading boot to the brim.
Had an instance in the past where boot was loaded to the brim and after a hard break I had a few things (not heavy thank God) landing on my head while I was sitting on the back. (ages ago when was still being driven around by my dad).
Pretty sure that any extra noise originates by this approach.
Yes there are a few aftermarket ones that look good

I believe the German build is supposed to use the 4680 battery pack which is integrated in the car and the car itself will be build as a single structural part? (cant remember the exact term).
If that is the case then parts will be completely different from the US and China ones. Although it looks like Model Ys build in Texas will be same with Berlin.
As said I am not in hurry for Y so I will seat back and wait to see the changes and how that single structure behaves in real terms.
The initial German built MYs won't have the new structural 4680 battery, they will use the ones currently in production. It may be up to a year away before those are seen.

Hopefully that new design will be better for noise but in theory it could be worse as you don't have a separate floor pan and battery as you do now, so there is less material for the noise to be absorbed by.

The initial German built MYs won't have the new structural 4680 battery, they will use the ones currently in production. It may be up to a year away before those are seen.

Hopefully that new design will be better for noise but in theory it could be worse as you don't have a separate floor pan and battery as you do now, so there is less material for the noise to be absorbed by.

This is interesting. Do you have any information on this? I watched the presentation (well part of it) when Musk was there end of 21 and all the photos from the production lines etc and all photos of Ys where with the 4680 batteries and the single structural frame on different stages of production.
I also believe that the battery side of the Giga Berlin is being set up to produce 4680s straight from the beginning. I find it hard to believe that Tesla will set up a production line with 2170s and current structural units and then after a year or two change all the settings.

If you look at my post earlier #79, there is a link, if you open link and scroll down it mentions they come with Parcel shelf’s. About 2/3 down. How accurate that is and whether they will come with them
The problem with specs for Tesla is they change frequently - even between ordering and delivery.. my model 3 was supposed to come with homelink, but they removed that from the spec before delivery (I don't really care as no garage but it's an example I remember). They've also been on/off with things like floor mats.

So maybe some did come with parcel shelfs.. and they don't now.. maybe they will by march.

This is interesting. Do you have any information on this? I watched the presentation (well part of it) when Musk was there end of 21 and all the photos from the production lines etc and all photos of Ys where with the 4680 batteries and the single structural frame on different stages of production.
I also believe that the battery side of the Giga Berlin is being set up to produce 4680s straight from the beginning. I find it hard to believe that Tesla will set up a production line with 2170s and current structural units and then after a year or two change all the settings.
They haven’t even made the 4860 production building water tight. 4680 production in Berlin is some way off.