Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - the dirty dozen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery day was last Saturday for me. Unfortunately I had to decline taking this car due to the large number and severity of some of the issues. There were over a dozen of them, some more important than others of course.
  1. Noise Insulators for A/C and Heatpump are missing and need to be installed
  2. Rear Seat Alignment
  3. Frunk misalignment (6.5mm gap on left, 2mm gap on right) partly caused by A-Bar misalignment on passenger side
  4. Trim beside rear passenger side seat popping out
  5. Rear tail lights misaligned
  6. Black gunk on sunroof
  7. Glue residue on rear seats in various places
  8. Glue residue in trunk
  9. Front passenger side window black rubber trim popping out and damaged
  10. Frunk and Trunk overspray
  11. Paint chip above passenger headlight
  12. Small paint issues on passenger side near sunroof
  13. Paint smudge under front bumper on passenger side
Even so, it was quite disconcerting to hear from the tesla delivery staff that my issues were "within spec" and to be expected of any new tesla. What do people thing - is this normal, or am I being picky?

Compendium.JPG

Delivery day was last Saturday for me. Unfortunately I had to decline taking this car due to the large number and severity of some of the issues. There were over a dozen of them, some more important than others of course.
  2. Rear Seat Alignment
  3. Frunk misalignment (6.5mm gap on left, 2mm gap on right) partly caused by A-Bar misalignment on passenger side
  6. Black gunk on sunroof
  8. Glue residue in trunk
Even so, it was quite disconcerting to hear from the tesla delivery staff that my issues were "within spec" and to be expected of any new tesla. What do people thing - is this normal, or am I being picky?

View attachment 555031

Sorry to hear that! For some reason, I can't enlarge the pictures you attached.

To the degree I was able to see, only #2 and #3 I'd be concerned with. The rest, seems to me, are easy fixes by the Service. Especially gunks are are super easy to remove from glass with GooGone. Of course it is not nice by Tesla to say "everything is just fine". Had I heard, "sorry about it, we can fix them for you through a service appointment", would be enough for me to take the delivery of the card. This is me though, since you asked..

How did you know to look for missing sound insulators on the AC and heat pump? Any pics of that issue under the frunk? I'm not sure I'd know what it should look like.

And sorry about the car.....my vote is that you were correct to refuse that one for sure.

I did not look under the frunk, but it would be good if someone can work out a way to easily check for the presence/absence from inside the frunk. Instead I just went by 2 things:
1) The noisy whine every time the A/C kicked in
2) The fact that my car was built prior to May 26th (the date after which all Model Y's are supposed to come pre-installed with the sound insulator)

2. Rear Seat Alignment
  6. Black gunk on sunroof
  8. Glue residue in trunk

View attachment 555031
Sorry you had most of the same issues I had. I had to reject one car and had to return the second car. It is better to reject and accept a car you are not happy with. Returning a car bans you from ordering the same car at the same trim level for a year. If in doubt always reject.
Good luck in the future