Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of new Model Y yesterday in Vancouver at the Great Northern Way location. It was very busy for early in the quarter But the staff was very friendly and my longest wait was for the insurance agent (about 30 min). I am from Vancouver Island so it was a long day of ferries and I got there about an hour before my appointment so I had lots of time to inspect the car.

The car was in excellent shape. Panel gaps all looked good, interior had no fingerprints and the vehicle was nicely cleaned. There was 1 minor smudge on the front bumper. The worst thing was a small rock chip on the hood but it was so small it wasn't worth worrying about. Also found that all the doors except the drivers were a bit finicky on soft closing.

Things I thought stood out from the first day of driving:
  • Single pedal driving - outstanding feature I only used the brake pedal once all through Vancouver
  • Always "on" - really nice to get in the car and it just always be ready to go or sit in it with ac running watching netflix (made the ferry ride so much better)
  • Nav system - outstanding system so much better than the crap they call navs in every luxury car I have owned. Even better when combined with fact that you can just tell the car "Go to wherever" and it does.
  • Screen - surprisingly I got used to looking at the screen instead of straight ahead almost immediately and it is extremely responsive which is key
  • Bluetooth music - total crap what happened here? Can't even use a playlist
  • Phone key - works beautifully so far very easy
  • Front seats - they feel a little skinny for my taste I am 6ft and a big guy. Although they are probably ok as I didn't get sore with driving
  • Rear seats - really comfortable for a big guy like me to sit back there and very easy to get into
  • Speed - Wow this thing is fast! I am coming from a Mercedes AMG and it felt faster then that. Like a rocket
  • Ride - I thought the ride was very comparable to a sports car. It felt fine to me but I can understand why someone coming from a cushy SUV would think it is rough. Also the cornering feels a little more tippy than a sportscar but that is to be expected.
Overall I think the Y seems really solid and hope to enjoy it for a long time. Also the process for getting one was very smooth for me (not sure why I got lucky?) being only 6 days VIN-delivery.
IMG_0515.jpg

Took delivery of new Model Y yesterday in Vancouver at the Great Northern Way location. It was very busy for early in the quarter But the staff was very friendly and my longest wait was for the insurance agent (about 30 min). I am from Vancouver Island so it was a long day of ferries and I got there about an hour before my appointment so I had lots of time to inspect the car.

The car was in excellent shape. Panel gaps all looked good, interior had no fingerprints and the vehicle was nicely cleaned. There was 1 minor smudge on the front bumper. The worst thing was a small rock chip on the hood but it was so small it wasn't worth worrying about. Also found that all the doors except the drivers were a bit finicky on soft closing.

Things I thought stood out from the first day of driving:
  • Single pedal driving - outstanding feature I only used the brake pedal once all through Vancouver
  • Always "on" - really nice to get in the car and it just always be ready to go or sit in it with ac running watching netflix (made the ferry ride so much better)
  • Nav system - outstanding system so much better than the crap they call navs in every luxury car I have owned. Even better when combined with fact that you can just tell the car "Go to wherever" and it does.
  • Screen - surprisingly I got used to looking at the screen instead of straight ahead almost immediately and it is extremely responsive which is key
  • Bluetooth music - total crap what happened here? Can't even use a playlist
  • Phone key - works beautifully so far very easy
  • Front seats - they feel a little skinny for my taste I am 6ft and a big guy. Although they are probably ok as I didn't get sore with driving
  • Rear seats - really comfortable for a big guy like me to sit back there and very easy to get into
  • Speed - Wow this thing is fast! I am coming from a Mercedes AMG and it felt faster then that. Like a rocket
  • Ride - I thought the ride was very comparable to a sports car. It felt fine to me but I can understand why someone coming from a cushy SUV would think it is rough. Also the cornering feels a little more tippy than a sportscar but that is to be expected.
Overall I think the Y seems really solid and hope to enjoy it for a long time. Also the process for getting one was very smooth for me (not sure why I got lucky?) being only 6 days VIN-delivery.
View attachment 655156
Congrats! Exactly what we have ordered, except 19 wheels! Really happy you enjoy it coming from AMG :) We have already Model S so we know what to expect. Congratulation again, looks great!

@DrWags congratulations, she's a beauty! Quick question about the above point: is BC Ferries letting you stay in the vehicle these days during the voyage? I know they started allowing that temporarily early on in the pandemic, but thought I'd heard they stopped that a while back and people weren't allowed on the vehicle decks any more again.

The seat is incredibly comfortable for me, but I did think they could be tight for larger guys.

One thing that disappointed me a bit is the cargo area. I'm coming from a Lexus RX350, and the Model Y is 2 inches wider and just one inch shorter. However, the cargo area is significantly smaller in the Model Y.

I bought a 10-person tent, and it easily fit in my Lexus and was wide enough to lay flat and not diagonally. On the Model Y, it wouldn't fit even diagonally. Only way to make it work was by pushing down the middle section on the 2nd row seats. I couldn't understand why this is the case when the Model Y is 2 inches wider, and it seems all that width is on the base of the car below the cargo area.

Still love the car, but I thought it was worth mentioning because all I heard was how big the cargo area is in the Model Y. I just found that it didn't match up with another car with very similar dimensions. I'm fairness, there is more legroom and space in the 2nd row compared to the Lexus. I suppose it's more of a matter of how the space is distributed in the two vehicles.