Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but I don't know why the picture are showing sideways.. But here it is with 70% windshield, back windows, trunk lift gate, 20% front windows and roof. The same as model 3 we have.. It's a must.. We did a road trip to Maine from NJ without the tint and I could def feel the difference in heat and UV rejection! My arms were burning up in the model Y but I've never felt that in my model 3 with the tint all around.
AFB0D95A-A24E-487F-ACD9-044C92837B20.jpeg
A235C09E-B74A-4CAC-BA33-641A8E568EF6.jpeg
96D48B64-7648-48EA-86AB-EBD8EC7556CF.jpeg
A235C09E-B74A-4CAC-BA33-641A8E568EF6.jpeg
AFB0D95A-A24E-487F-ACD9-044C92837B20.jpeg
96D48B64-7648-48EA-86AB-EBD8EC7556CF.jpeg

could you let me know what the % means exactly? 20% means transparent light 20% or 80%? Thanks for your help.

Visible light transmission (VLT). The higher the VLT percentage is, the lighter the tint will be. 80% would mean 80% of visible light is passing through the window and it essentially would look clear. 20% would be 20% of the light is passing through and the rest is being absorbed/blocked and the tint will be fairly dark. If your interior is dark (black) then 20% looks VERY dark, if the interior is very bright (white) then even the 20% looks moderate and you can see the inside of the vehicle.

Its funny how after getting good tint (Xpel XR Prime Plus 35 from and 70 all other glass) I suddenly notice the IR heat from the front windshield. I thought of a very light windshield tint, but in AZ is guaranteed you will be replacing a windshield due to rocks within a year. So financially, not a good investment.

Reactions: TuMadre1337
Its funny how after getting good tint (Xpel XR Prime Plus 35 from and 70 all other glass) I suddenly notice the IR heat from the front windshield. I thought of a very light windshield tint, but in AZ is guaranteed you will be replacing a windshield due to rocks within a year. So financially, not a good investment.
I lived in AZ for 5 or 6 years and never had to replace a windshield... in fact we still have one of those cars now in WA and it's been another five years with the same windshield. Get a 70 or 80% on the windshield and then just leave more follow distance between you and the cars/trucks in front of you.

Depends on your insurance. I've had the windshields tinted on my last 8 or so cars and had the windshields replaced on two of them, both times USAA covered getting them re-tinted.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wrcthree
Thanks, very happy with it so far. It was a package deal inquiry so I don't have window by window breakdown but before asking for nano ceramic the estimate was $500 for a "full ceramic tint" (all doors, windshield, rear glass). They said they'd do the roof glass for an additional $100 if I was doing the full tint. Then I asked how much to go nano ceramic and it brought it all up by $200 to a total of $800. It was completed in ~5 hours. (Going back for the roof glass later)
Thanks, very happy with it so far. It was a package deal inquiry so I don't have window by window breakdown but before asking for nano ceramic the estimate was $500 for a "full ceramic tint" (all doors, windshield, rear glass). They said they'd do the roof glass for an additional $100 if I was doing the full tint. Then I asked how much to go nano ceramic and it brought it all up by $200 to a total of $800. It was completed in ~5 hours. (Going back for the roof glass later)
What percentage tint did you do for the glass roof and how did it turn out?
I’m out here in la too digging the way your car looks and might have to check out the same shop.

If you live in an area with temps over 90, it gets plenty of heat transfer through the roof. Big difference once I tinted. Now I may not use the window shade I bought.

I get that but the sunshade I got off Amazon also has a reflective insert. Living in SoCal we get plenty of hot days but I just found it cheaper to have the sunshade versus the cost of tinting. Plus, I have a 2 month old and tint wouldn’t be enough to get the sun out of her eyes.

I also didn’t want to change the panoramic view for when I’m not using the shade. Ceramic tinting creates reflections in all my cars.

• Informative
Reactions: FatherTo1 and ArtK
View attachment 592549 Since I’m in NJ where it’s illegal to tint the front windows, I decided to leave OEM the rears and do Xpel Prime XR Black 30% for the Front and Xpel Prime XR Black 70% for the front windshield. Very happy with getting the windshield done. Total cost was $335 (front and ws). If I wasn’t in NJ, I would have gotten 20% for the front windows.

I’m very happy with the Xpel Prime XR product as it’s (imho) better than 3M Ceramic and ‘almost’ as good as 3M Crystalline for much cheaper. Shops were quoting me $550 for the 3M Crystalline just for those 3 areas.

Also...the OEM have a slight hint of Brown/Amber so I don’t think anyone will get an exact match unless you also tint the rears...I’m pretty close and probably only I or enthusiasts will tell a difference. The Xpel Prime XR Black is a true Black....

Do you have any more shots of your car in different lights? I'm considering the same thing and wondering if 30 is too much for me.

Do you have any more shots of your car in different lights? I'm considering the same thing and wondering if 30 is too much for me.

I can say that I have “20%” which is actually 24% VLT on the front and 70% (71% VLT) on the rear and the front and rear now almost look the same with the back being slightly darker. 30% would be a decent amount lighter than the rears.

• Helpful
Reactions: meh_
I can say that I have “20%” which is actually 24% VLT on the front and 70% (71% VLT) on the rear and the front and rear now almost look the same with the back being slightly darker. 30% would be a decent amount lighter than the rears.

Thanks for that. I think the back is pretty dark and as much as I'd like the uniform look, I want god visibility at night and just want to get away from the current look of crystal clear up front and black in the back - I have black interior on the blue point so the back windows look totally black to me.

Thanks for that. I think the back is pretty dark and as much as I'd like the uniform look, I want god visibility at night and just want to get away from the current look of crystal clear up front and black in the back - I have black interior on the blue point so the back windows look totally black to me.

Good point! I have white, which changes the way the tint looks considerably! I feel like I have good visibility in the front, but I do notice a darker look at night. Previous to the Y I had a 3 that I tinted with XR+ 35 (38% VLT) and felt like you could see right in without any problems. If you opened the door and looked at the sky you could tell the glass was tinted, but with the door closed it almost didn’t look tinted at all. You probably want 35% to 45%. All ceramic tints are going to do a great job with heat reduction, even the 70%+ almost total clear ones, so if it doesn’t get totally the right shade for you’re liking, at least temperature wise you won’t have a problem.

You also might be able to ask they just tint one wind first and let you swing by and look at it. I don’t know how hard fresh tint is to remove, but I do know it’s removable. Could be that you’re only out a couple hundred bucks if you need to change that first window before getting the other one done. (Still highly recommend getting the rears and windshield done with 70%+ though for heat rejection!)

• Helpful
Reactions: meh_