Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think 20% will match the rears exactly
20210408_124536.jpg

20% front will match closer. I have 20 front 70 rears.

What mud flaps are those?
I got those here:

Reactions: MGsurf and Joey47
I got those here:
What brand tint did you get?

View attachment 592549 Since Iā€™m in NJ where itā€™s illegal to tint the front windows, I decided to leave OEM the rears and do Xpel Prime XR Black 30% for the Front and Xpel Prime XR Black 70% for the front windshield. Very happy with getting the windshield done. Total cost was $335 (front and ws). If I wasnā€™t in NJ, I would have gotten 20% for the front windows.

Iā€™m very happy with the Xpel Prime XR product as itā€™s (imho) better than 3M Ceramic and ā€˜almostā€™ as good as 3M Crystalline for much cheaper. Shops were quoting me $550 for the 3M Crystalline just for those 3 areas.

Also...the OEM have a slight hint of Brown/Amber so I donā€™t think anyone will get an exact match unless you also tint the rears...Iā€™m pretty close and probably only I or enthusiasts will tell a difference. The Xpel Prime XR Black is a true Black....
How did your front defroster perform last winter with having a ceramic tinted front windshield? I'm worried it will block the defroster heat from melting the snow and ice and make it harder to defrost. I'm thinking about doing just a 50% Black Ceramic visor tint on the windshield above the legal limit (above the Aā†“S1 marking).

Does anyone have any pics of just a visor tint on the MY?

Attachments

• IMG-1225.jpg
    IMG-1225.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 407
  • InkedIMG-1224_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-1224_LI.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 404
Llumar CTX 30 (34%) front windows and CTX 50 (55%) rear windows. I also have Llumar Air 80 (77%) on the windshield.

View attachment 690271
Very nice!

How do you like the AIR 80? I am considering same for my windshield. Very impressive IR blocking specs for such little darkening.

Do you notice any distortion effects on the vision? I recall someone saying it looked a little "wavy" due to the steep incline of the windshield. How does it look to you?

Tinted front and rear windows and rear hatch today. Nothing fancy, just plain legal 75% all around, minus the roof and windshield, with Madico black pearl nano ceramic. Goal was just extra UV protection and heat rejection while maintaining outward visibility. For the windshield Iā€™ll stick with my trusted CoverCraft sunshade.

Initially planned to tint the roof too but came across the following video that showed the stock roof glass already rejects as much heat as the best films. Saved myself $290 and preserved the stock roof view.

This forum thread has been incredibly helpful and I appreciate all the photos. Thanks.

Initially planned to tint the roof too but came across the following video that showed the stock roof glass already rejects as much heat as the best films. Saved myself $290 and preserved the stock roof view.
Thank you for posting this. I remember watching this video a while ago and couldn't find it the other day when someone was talking about how the roof had no heat rejection.

Very nice!

How do you like the AIR 80? I am considering same for my windshield. Very impressive IR blocking specs for such little darkening.

Do you notice any distortion effects on the vision? I recall someone saying it looked a little "wavy" due to the steep incline of the windshield. How does it look to you?
I wish I could give you a true review on the windshield tint, but I've only had the car since June and immediately tinted. I park in the driveway and the outside temp is regularly in the high 90s/low 100s. With cabin overheat (no a/c) on, the car can still get as hot as 130 degrees.

I can say that there are no wavy or other vision issues though.

Reactions: rjpjnk
When the car is parked outside in the sun, the best ceramic tint still lets in heat but very slowly compared to bare glass. After enough time, the inside will get just as hot as a car with no tint. The real improvement is during drives when you physically feel a drastic reduction of heat coming in.

I had the car metered as it comes from the factory yesterday when I dropped it off to get tint & PPF, the fronts are 80 (metered 82) and the rears 20 (metered 21). I hope this helps for those who want to dial it in.

I personally am not going for the matched look, 20 is too dark for me on the fronts, primarily from a practical/functional perspective (i.e. night driving in anything but perfectly lit areas) but I also dislike the look (subjective). I can post pics of what I'm doing once I get it back.

P.S. For those matching, keep in mind that a) the rear glass literally just has tint, i.e. coloring ā€” there is no heat rejection in addition to what the front windows have, and b) if you want to get heat rejection you will need to put film on them, and adding anything, even 70 to it will make it even darker. Although, the lighter you go on the film, the less darker it will get. I don't care about matching I want high protection so what I'm putting on it will make the rears substantially darker than 20, which is great because that's the area I need most sun protection in (that's where the kids are ;) ).

Last edited: