Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tire Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Wisconsin and obviously have to have tires that handle well in snow. I am about to order a model Y, but was wondering about tires. I don't know if anyone has had model Y in the winter driving conditions yet. I am looking at the performance model with the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels. My knowledge of tires is fairly limited. I am wondering if the tires that come with this model are functional/safe in winter driving conditions (snow/ice)? Not sure I would be too excited to spend almost 70ish thousand on a car and then need to add winter tires. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I live in Wisconsin and obviously have to have tires that handle well in snow. I am about to order a model Y, but was wondering about tires. I don't know if anyone has had model Y in the winter driving conditions yet. I am looking at the performance model with the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels. My knowledge of tires is fairly limited. I am wondering if the tires that come with this model are functional/safe in winter driving conditions (snow/ice)? Not sure I would be too excited to spend almost 70ish thousand on a car and then need to add winter tires. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PUP models come with stickier "SUMMER" Pirelli P Zero tires. These are designed more for more grip on dry pavement thus for areas that don't see a whole lot of rain/snow. If you are in WI, I'd suggest you go with the 20" wheels which come with all-season tires. Also, it will be much easier/less expensive to find winter tires for the 20" Induction whees than the for the 21" Ubers.

Reactions: MrTemple
probably would steer clear of performance and just get AWD with higher suspension, more rubber and cheaper. I imagine roads get torn up there after each Winter, so 21 inch wheels may work on California dry roads but not over potholes. 4.8 seconds in still plenty fast.

Not only will they not function in snow/ice, they should not even be exposed to temps below freezing per the manufacturer.

You’ll need a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires if you go for the performance package.

Does it snow much in Wisconsin?

Just like if you were to buy any other performance car, you'd likely need a second set of winter tires. Either find a guy near you selling their Geminis, or grab some cheaper 19s somewhere and slap some winters on there.

BTW, kidding about the snow. I'm a secret Packer fan. Shhh...Don't tell anyone here.

I have the performance with 21 inch wheels in Northeast, and ended up purchasing 19 inch gemini's with continental tires. The performance was well worth the inconvenience of having to swap tires during winter months, and I figure the 2 full sets will last me longer.

My oldest son has a Subaru WRX. He commuted from Chadds Ford PA to Newark DE for a couple of years on windy back roads before quitting his engineering job to do music full-time. The first winter he had it, he complained how terribly it handled even when the roads weren't snowy - he was slipping and sliding all over the place... At that point, I asked him to send me a pic of the tires and realizing they were summers, told him to get them off asap!

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
hey guys -- do you know what temperatures the uber turbine 21'' pirellis can safely operate in? I have a BMW and wrangler rubicon in addition to the Tesla Y.. Im thinking with warmer northeast climates Ic an probably drive the 21s'' in 45 degree weather... what's your opinion?

hey guys -- do you know what temperatures the uber turbine 21'' pirellis can safely operate in? I have a BMW and wrangler rubicon in addition to the Tesla Y.. Im thinking with warmer northeast climates Ic an probably drive the 21s'' in 45 degree weather... what's your opinion?
45 is the lowest operating temperature recommended by the manufacturer.

The northeast gets much colder than that in winter.

Reactions: MrTemple
At those temperatures the rubber will be hard and there will not be much grip, so even bare pavement will be slick and the ride a bit rougher. I have some experience with that in my 911, I usually drive it until the last day possible in the fall - first snow fall or there is salt on the roads - then it is put away for the winter. Those weeks before it gets put away I have to be extra careful if temps are below 50, a lot easier to break the rear end free and get yourself into trouble. Summer performance rubber, Continentals before, Michelins now. Not going to use all seasons on that summer only car.

The high performance summer tires on the 21s will be super dangerous in the cold and will kill you on snow.

Both the 20” and 19” wheels have all-season tires which will be great in the cold or wet and adequate, but not great on snow.

The Goodyear’s on the 20” wheels are much better than the tires on the 19” wheels.

The Y is a big heavy car. If you do drive in snowy conditions you’re a mad hatter to not get actual snow tires.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung