Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tire Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PJFW8

Red Menace may hurt me
May 29, 2015
Hendersonville, NC
We know the wheels on the model Y are the same as on model 3. Given larger size and weight of the model Y, I would suspect Tesla would use a larger aspect ratio tire. Did anyone at the reveal notice the tire size? Perhaps someone took a picture of the tire that can be examined. Looking at various pictures I noticed a Michelin on the 19 inch wheel and a Goodyear on one of the 18s. I was unable to read the size and aspect ratio information on either tire. Thoughts?

We know the wheels on the model Y are the same as on model 3. Given larger size and weight of the model Y, I would suspect Tesla would use a larger aspect ratio tire. Did anyone at the reveal notice the tire size? Perhaps someone took a picture of the tire that can be examined. Looking at various pictures I noticed a Michelin on the 19 inch wheel and a Goodyear on one of the 18s. I was unable to read the size and aspect ratio information on either tire. Thoughts?
A little early to tell. A lot can change in 1 1/2 years - seems it will be a "taller/thicker tire".

- large enough diameter for disc brakes to fit
- thicker/taller to protect against pot holes
- functional vs looks? Tire companies can offer different tires. We shall see

Looking at various pictures I noticed a Michelin on the 19 inch wheel and a Goodyear on one of the 18s. I was unable to read the size and aspect ratio information on either tire. Thoughts?
I shared my thoughts in this thread, including the tire sizes and links to pictures. Which car had 18” Goodyears? The blue demo car had 20” Michelin’s and the white rolling mule had 19” Continentals.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
FA7E684E-9B7B-4BB3-9565-442B0C71226B.jpeg
On the model Y order site
Good catch, weird though. The only 18” size available from Tirerack for the Eagle Touring is 235/45R18, the same size tire as Model 3 which is significantly smaller than the other tires shown at the Y unveil. It’s highly unlikely Tesla would sell the Y with different diameter tires. Maybe they’re going to get Goodyear to make it in 235/55R18 or 255/50R18? That's a rendering so they have flexibility to show what they want, not what is made now.

Last edited:
Woah the width is a lot bigger too 235 to 255. Awesome!
Now my question is will the 40/20 thicker sidewall be as fragile as the 35/20 on the 3 given more weight on the Y? I would think the extra weight cancels out the extra wall?
I really doubt it. First of all it won’t be that much heavier. No reason to be. Consider there is a significant difference in sidewalk to tread width ratio. If you’re not sure go for the 19 inch

I ordered the performance, seems like 255/40 X 20 summer tires aren't priced bad.

I guess I should look at the model 3 performance threads to get an idea on winter wheel/alternative tire sizing people are using with the larger brakes.

Last edited: