Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tires costco installation problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I just received MY VIN and was planning to order snow tires at Costco. However, when I talked to the tech there they claim they do not have some kind of pad at the lift to lifting a MY in a safe manner. They did say have equipment for other Tesla models though. I live in Wisconsin and I have asked different warehouses and got the same answer. Is there anyone have the same issue at other Costcos or just a local issue? Thanks!

Hi guys,

I just received MY VIN and was planning to order snow tires at Costco. However, when I talked to the tech there they claim they do not have some kind of pad at the lift to lifting a MY in a safe manner. They did say have equipment for other Tesla models though. I live in Wisconsin and I have asked different warehouses and got the same answer. Is there anyone have the same issue at other Costcos or just a local issue? Thanks!

you can buy your own jack pads and give them to any installer.

I bought these and they work great. Pair of Combo Model 3•Y Low Profile Pads | Reverse Logic jack pads for Tesla Model S, Model X, Model 3, Model Y

Reactions: jcanoe
Hi guys,

Out of curiosity, which wheels do you have, and which tires do they offer? Happy Thanksgiving, by the way :)

The number of jack pads you need depends what you plan to do when lifting the vehicle. I consulted with a Model X owner. If you are just removing or changing a single tire/wheel then a single jack pad is all you need. Likewise if you are rotating your tires front to back, not crossing over, you only need one jack pad. Both wheels on the same side of the vehicle can be lifted off the ground using floor jack and a single jack point, jack pad.

If you are rotating your tires, crossing over, so the front left tire is moved to the right rear location then you could still do this type of tire rotation with one jack pad and a set of jack stands. If you go to a tire shop to have this done they will probably use a four point hydraulic floor lift. For this type of lift you would want to use 4 jack pads. (The tire shop may have a set of jack pads for Tesla vehicles. If you give the customer service employee at the counter your jack pads the tire shop worker actually performing the work may not use them. If they know what they are doing, have lifted Tesla vehicles before, the technician can use a four point lift without using jack pads and not damage the Tesla vehicle. (In most shops, customers are not allowed inside the work area due to insurance restrictions, or so they say.)

I ended up purchasing a single ReverseLogic low profile jack pad (the new low profile Reverse jack pad for Tesla Model 3/Y replaces the original Reverse Logic jack pad that was a bit thicker. The low profile jack pad makes it easier to fit, use with a floor jack if the Tesla vehicle is a performance model or has been lowered.)

There are many sellers of jack pads for Tesla vehicles available on Amazon. Based on the comments posted for these pads it seems that there was always a downside to choosing a low cost jack pad. Example #1: the jack pad is made of aluminum but due to the rubber O ring being too small the pad won't stay in place and easily falls out of the guide hole. Example #2: the jack pad is made of some mystery material, rubber or plastic, made you know where. The jack pads give off such a strong odor that you don't want to store the jack pads in your garage let along inside your Tesla vehicle.

Do plain old fashioned hockey pucks not work on the Y? I was always amazed anyone would fork out for anything else for the S.
If your floor jack has a cup shaped lift point then a hockey puck would work, not be squeezed out of position during the lift. If you are talking about a 4 point lift then you would have to devise a way to keep 4 pucks in position as the lift arms are placed under the lift points of the vehicle. There is a Youtube video that shows how to make a set of jack pads using hockey pucks. The cost of the hockey pucks and the other hardware used to create a center guide post on each puck is about the same as a set of low cost of lift pads on Amazon.

Called 3 Costco today for a aftermarket wheels I brought. The aftermarket wheels has the same spec as the 20" induction wheel.
1st Costco- they only do tire for OEM or Costco wheels.
2nd Costco- they don't do Tesla at all.
3rd Costco-- they do Tesla and aftermarket wheels as long they have the same spec as OEM.
Going to call the 1st and 2nd Costco again to confirm, else I need to drive 40 miles to the 3rd Costco instead the one that's half mile away from me.