Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y To Model 3 P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the Model Y for a few months now, coming from a 2018 Model 3 mid-range. I like the space, but it's lackluster in driving dynamics. I do miss the Model 3. Given the used price market, does it make sense to pivot from a Model Y to a new Model 3P? I think I can get $65k for my Y, which is about how much I think I will need to fork over for a new 3P.
If the Model 3 works for your passenger+cargo hauling needs, then do it!

Yes now is probably the best time in history to sell a lightly used car and buy a brand new one. Usually you'd take an expensive bath doing that but not right now. Paying the sales tax twice still sucks but if you're missing the 3 enough to make this post, I think it's worth making the switch.

I totally agree about the driving dynamics difference. Before my recent M3P purchase it had been 15 years since I bought a car without a liftgate in the back. I went into my test drives hoping the Y would drive like a hatchback 3. The Y doesn't, not at all. The 3 is way more fun.

(The Y is way better for back seat passengers and cargo hauling though...it's a matter of priorities.)

Reactions: 907XCP
Agreed. I've got a 2018 M3P and I've been eyeing the Y since it came out because I'd love the extra utility - better ingress/egress, the hatch, and a hitch.

But I don't NEED the extra utility, and I love how my M3P drives. So far I've stuck with the M3P, because while the Y's extra utility would be nice, I don't need it...so I can prioritize the M3P's driving over the Y's utility.

On the other hand, for someone that does need the Y's utility...nobody really NEEDS the 3's better driving, so it would make more sense for them to go for the Y than a 3 that doesn't meet their needs.

It's good to have choices. And as tm1v2 points out, this is one of the best times in history to sell a lightly used car and buy a new one. (Another good time was back in 2018, when I sold my lightly-used 3 LR RWD for what I paid for it - including tax! - and bought my P3D).

Reactions: 907XCP and tm1v2
M3P won't qualify for EV credits under the BBB bill recently passed by the House. $55k hard cutoff, whereas SUVs and trucks have an $80k cutoff. It's stupid and regressive to push people towards larger vehicles than they might otherwise purchase. My guess is it's another handout to the "big 3" automakers who have focused their production and profits on SUVs and trucks, and will likely do the same with EVs.

It's possible the Senate could pass a version where the M3P qualifies, and then the M3P continues to qualify in a final reconciled version. I hope it works out that way, but I wouldn't count on it.

You should still move forward with this plan. :) Just consider any federal tax credits an unexpected bonus, don't plan on them even with a 2022 delivery.

Reactions: BigNick