Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y to Model 3 performace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 P and my dad just took delivery of an MYP. Only drove his car half an hour, but my overall impressions:

From the driver seat, the Y doesn’t feel particularly roomier, both are perfectly adequate there (and I’m unfortunately a heavier set guy). Rear seats are much better in the Y - the reclining is nice, and the leg room makes a big difference. Trunk space difference is also dramatic. Coupled with the hatch, much more usable.

Driving around - the weight difference is noticeable, and body is definitely better controlled on the 3 vs the Y. The acceleration difference is also pretty apparent even performance vs performance. Ride quality is slightly better on the 3 vs Y too (but perhaps less noticeable compared to an LR?)

Overall for me as a single dude, no kids, not frequently hauling passengers or cargo around - the M3P is a better car for me.

Currently I'm averaging 325 kWh since taking delivery. So in theory that means 100% to 0% would be about 250 miles, 10%-90% would be about 200 miles, and 20%-80% would be about 150 miles.

HOWEVER - it is currently winter, and I have not been even attempting to drive conservatively since my use case does not require it. I'm pretty sure I can do better if I need more range, especially as the weather warms up.

What is the real world range on m3p?

What is the real world range on your model Y, and which wheels do you have? If the wheels are the same size, the model Y has something like 10% less range than a model 3. You should treat them as if they are the same real world range (model Y LR / Model 3 P), and you will be fairly close.

What is the real world range on your model Y, and which wheels do you have? If the wheels are the same size, the model Y has something like 10% less range than a model 3. You should treat them as if they are the same real world range (model Y LR / Model 3 P), and you will be fairly close.
Well, the wheels on my model y are the 18inch wheels, if I get the model 3 it's going to be the 20s. so it's probably going to be a lot less. For example, It says I have 39% percent left and 100 miles of range.

Well, the wheels on my model y are the 18inch wheels, if I get the model 3 it's going to be the 20s. so it's probably going to be a lot less. For example, It says I have 39% percent left and 100 miles of range.
You can always swap the 20s on the M3P to 18s and get a range increase. That’s what I did, swapped them for 18s with Conti DWS06+ and went from 310kw/mi to 270kw/mi. Also made it ride much better and quieter.

Reactions: tm1v2
You guys must drive with a heavy foot!!

My 21’ M3P has a lifetime average of 274. And that’s with a roof rack!

But I did just order and MYP and will be trading it in. The Y has so much more utility. But I will say the 3 is much more fun to drive!

@sloth If you don't need the Y's extra space I say get the M3P. I think the Model 3 drives much better than the Model Y, in terms of handling, ride quality, and noise level, based on my test drives of 2021 MYLR, M3LR, M3P. I really didn't like the ride quality or wind noise level of that MYLR I tested, and while it handled pretty well for a crossover, a Model 3 still feels much better around the turns.

Model Y has vastly superior back seat and cargo hauling capability of course. I think it's very well packaged and a very good car overall. But if you don't need the Y's extra space I say get the 3! We were shopping for a 2nd car and keeping our old Model S, so we chose M3P over MYP and I'm very happy with that choice!

Edit: I also 100% agree with downsizing the M3P to 18" wheels. I did that with forged 18x8.5" wheels and I got better ride, better grip, better steering feel, cheaper tires, better efficiency, and better protection from bad roads all at the same time. The better grip came from better tires of course, not from the wheels themselves, but the point is you don't need to sacrifice anything if you pick the right tires. Literally the only downside is appearance if you care about that. (Personally I actually really like the look of the Uberturbines, but that's it, functionally they're really bad. And the stock PZ4 tires are not great either. I didn't hate the PZ4, they're better than a non-performance tire, but the best tires in their category are significantly better if you're into hard driving.)

@sloth If you don't need the Y's extra space I say get the M3P. I think the Model 3 drives much better than the Model Y, in terms of handling, ride quality, and noise level, based on my test drives of 2021 MYLR, M3LR, M3P. I really didn't like the ride quality or wind noise level of that MYLR I tested, and while it handled pretty well for a crossover, a Model 3 still feels much better around the turns.

Model Y has vastly superior back seat and cargo hauling capability of course. I think it's very well packaged and a very good car overall. But if you don't need the Y's extra space I say get the 3! We were shopping for a 2nd car and keeping our old Model S, so we chose M3P over MYP and I'm very happy with that choice!

Edit: I also 100% agree with downsizing the M3P to 18" wheels. I did that with forged 18x8.5" wheels and I got better ride, better grip, better steering feel, cheaper tires, better efficiency, and better protection from bad roads all at the same time. The better grip came from better tires of course, not from the wheels themselves, but the point is you don't need to sacrifice anything if you pick the right tires. Literally the only downside is appearance if you care about that. (Personally I actually really like the look of the Uberturbines, but that's it, functionally they're really bad. And the stock PZ4 tires are not great either. I didn't hate the PZ4, they're better than a non-performance tire, but the best tires in their category are significantly better if you're into hard driving.)
Ok cool thanks for your input. I’m gonna test drive a 3 first.

Reactions: tm1v2
Test drove it today. I’m glad I did. It’s nice but it’s way too low. Sticking with model y.

Not quite sure I get this specific feedback (not that I have to), but a model 3 performance is significantly faster than any model Y. "its too slow" is not feedback I have heard very often by anyone, in relation to a model 3 performance, and certainly not in relation to a model Y.

The people that normally say that a model 3 performance is "too slow" are those coming from model S cars that are faster.

Not quite sure I get this specific feedback (not that I have to), but a model 3 performance is significantly faster than any model Y. "its too slow" is not feedback I have heard very often by anyone, in relation to a model 3 performance, and certainly not in relation to a model Y.

The people that normally say that a model 3 performance is "too slow" are those coming from model S cars that are faster.
No, I mean too low. It’s difficult for me to get in and out of. I have a disability.