Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tow bar electrics not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June 2022 delivered model Y and had the towbar kit fitted a couple of weeks post delivery. I ordered a 13 to 7 pin adapter and apart from test-fitting the removable towball, never actually tried using it until today when I connected up my 4-wheel trailer for collecting firewood. And of course the electrics don't work. Didn't auto-detect my trailer board and I had to manually select trailer mode. But still nothing. I buzzed the 13-pin socket with a meter, but none of the pins gave a reading even with hazards and side-lights on. So, I've raised a service request and will update this when I get some progress. So far the service request has been set with "if parts are to be ordered we will update you if they will not arrive before the appointment". Fingers crossed, But I fully expect it to be pushed out.

I have a June 2022 delivered model Y and had the towbar kit fitted a couple of weeks post delivery. I ordered a 13 to 7 pin adapter and apart from test-fitting the removable towball, never actually tried using it until today when I connected up my 4-wheel trailer for collecting firewood. And of course the electrics don't work. Didn't auto-detect my trailer board and I had to manually select trailer mode. But still nothing. I buzzed the 13-pin socket with a meter, but none of the pins gave a reading even with hazards and side-lights on. So, I've raised a service request and will update this when I get some progress. So far the service request has been set with "if parts are to be ordered we will update you if they will not arrive before the appointment". Fingers crossed, But I fully expect it to be pushed out.

Without going into how you performed your test on the 13 pin, I gather you fitted the adapter and gave it a twist?.... and did it twisted all the way to where the cap of the 13 pin rests exactly on the flat base of the adapter also locking it?... Reason I ask is that you dont seem to mention having trouble with this. I had to modify the adapter a bit so that it would fully twist as it was fowling at the bottom not allowing it to twist into place.

Without going into how you performed your test on the 13 pin, I gather you fitted the adapter and gave it a twist?.... and did it twisted all the way to where the cap of the 13 pin rests exactly on the flat base of the adapter also locking it?... Reason I ask is that you dont seem to mention having trouble with this. I had to modify the adapter a bit so that it would fully twist as it was fowling at the bottom not allowing it to twist into place.
True, I didn't also mention the trouble I had fitting the adapter. I had to cut a section of the adapter's flat plate to allow it to twist in the tight space and line up with socket flap.
Let's also talk about the method of testing the 13 pin socket. I used the earth pins as negative and tapped every other pin with the positive lead, but didn't get a 12v reading on any of them. Is this too simplified an approach, or is this not the way to do it without a proper tester plug?

True, I didn't also mention the trouble I had fitting the adapter. I had to cut a section of the adapter's flat plate to allow it to twist in the tight space and line up with socket flap.
Let's also talk about the method of testing the 13 pin socket. I used the earth pins as negative and tapped every other pin with the positive lead, but didn't get a 12v reading on any of them. Is this too simplified an approach, or is this not the way to do it without a proper tester plug?
Cool. I was wondering for a minute... As for testing, it's logical albeit I usually use a bare part of the cars body for negative. However, if you test like this and get a reading it still tells you have no negative at the socket so still faulty none the less.

Reactions: mmackay911
I went through the same routine with two trailer boards that worked fine with my previous car. One LED and one Filament. Neither worked. Testing the socket revealed nothing but millivolts. I suspect its exactly the same issue as I have, the body controller.

The M3 aftermarket kit was quick and simple to fit (plug n play) and got me on my travels albeit with basic functionality. That was 4 months ago now with nothing but apologetic messages from the SC as each service date slips

Reactions: mmackay911
Seeing a similar problem with my 2023 M3. My Atera Strada DL3 bike rack lights are not reponding.

Can anyone tell me how to check using a multimeter (pins, voltages, etc)? Cheers.

Provisionally booked in for Sat morning appt. Fingers crossed.

Google the pin-out diagram for 13 pin socket and put your black negative lead on one of the ground pins and the red lead on sidelight, brake light and indicator pins, when they are on, should show 12v on your meter for each pin that is live.
I got nothing on any of them and concluded it needed the LH body controller replaced.

Reactions: thetallpaul
Not 100% sure but now seem to have a gentle rattle from the front passenger side. Where exactly is the controller, passenger footwell?
I had mine done this week too, I heard something rattling too but thought it was the passenger seatbelt. I also had to run the seat/steering wheel calibration thing as the steering wheel position wasn't restoring from the profile correctly.