Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Hitch: 2 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y order is in queue with a DEC2022 estimated delivery date.

I was originally interested in getting the TESLA add-on tow hitch for $1,000 because I plan to eventually purchase a travel trailer and would love to tow it with my new Model Y (as I have no other vehicles capable of towing). However, TESLA’s website stipulates a MAX towing capacity of 3,500lbs with their factory tow hitch on a LR Model Y AWD. Sadly, this is not enough towing capacity to effectively tow much of anything. Plus, does the “80% towing rule” apply to EV’s as well? Meaning, if your diesel FORD F-150 has a towing capacity of 10,000lbs, then you should not exceed 8,000lbs of actual towing (so they say). Does this rule apply to EV’s, also? (NOTE: I have seen YouTube videos from Model Y owners who are towing their 24ft Air Stream trailers at up to 6,000lbs, but I don’t think I would exceed TESLA’s stated capacity.)

Finally, now that I know I cannot tow much with my new Model Y (only 3,500lbs or less), I am not sure that I want to spend the extra $1,000 on the towing package from TESLA. However, I was thinking that it might be worth it for resell purposes. (Plus, you never know when I may need to tow something light, and it would be nice to have the option to do so.)

Thoughts…??? Is it worth it to spend the extra $1,000 for resell purposes alone? I’m not much of a cyclist, but perhaps a prospective buyer of my (in the future) used Model Y will want a tow hitch…??? Let me know your thoughts…Thanks!

The Y has competitive towing with vehicles in its class. A smaller travel trailer, maybe a 19-25 ft Ultralight might still be doable. For me, I'd end up getting the tow package because its still useful for utility trailers and will even haul a 24ft pontoon boat pretty easily.

If you really think you'll be getting a 29ft plus Travel Trailer and actually using it to travel, do yourself a favor and skip any 150/1500 rated trucks and go straight to the 250/2500s. Even with an F-150 a large trailer can be a white-knuckle experience. Look up porpoising for an example of why.

Upvote 0
The Y has competitive towing with vehicles in its class. A smaller travel trailer, maybe a 19-25 ft Ultralight might still be doable. For me, I'd end up getting the tow package because its still useful for utility trailers and will even haul a 24ft pontoon boat pretty easily.

If you really think you'll be getting a 29ft plus Travel Trailer and actually using it to travel, do yourself a favor and skip any 150/1500 rated trucks and go straight to the 250/2500s. Even with an F-150 a large trailer can be a white-knuckle experience. Look up porpoising for an example of why.
Thanks, Zanman! My point wasn’t F-150 vs. F-250 (although I totally hear you—good looking out!). Instead, I was highlighting that “tow rule” I’ve heard not to exceed 80% of the pickup truck’s total rates towing capacity. Do you know if that rule applies to EV’s? As for the Model Y tow hitch MAX of 3,500lbs, I was just watching videos of 16ft and 19ft (among the smallest) Airstream trailers that they make, and the dealer video stipulated 5,500lbs and 6,000lbs towing requirements, respectively. Based on that, I could/should not tow either of those trailers with my Model Y.

Upvote 0
My Model Y order is in queue with a DEC2022 estimated delivery date.

I was originally interested in getting the TESLA add-on tow hitch for $1,000 because I plan to eventually purchase a travel trailer and would love to tow it with my new Model Y (as I have no other vehicles capable of towing). However, TESLA’s website stipulates a MAX towing capacity of 3,500lbs with their factory tow hitch on a LR Model Y AWD. Sadly, this is not enough towing capacity to effectively tow much of anything. Plus, does the “80% towing rule” apply to EV’s as well? Meaning, if your diesel FORD F-150 has a towing capacity of 10,000lbs, then you should not exceed 8,000lbs of actual towing (so they say). Does this rule apply to EV’s, also? (NOTE: I have seen YouTube videos from Model Y owners who are towing their 24ft Air Stream trailers at up to 6,000lbs, but I don’t think I would exceed TESLA’s stated capacity.)

Finally, now that I know I cannot tow much with my new Model Y (only 3,500lbs or less), I am not sure that I want to spend the extra $1,000 on the towing package from TESLA. However, I was thinking that it might be worth it for resell purposes. (Plus, you never know when I may need to tow something light, and it would be nice to have the option to do so.)

Thoughts…??? Is it worth it to spend the extra $1,000 for resell purposes alone? I’m not much of a cyclist, but perhaps a prospective buyer of my (in the future) used Model Y will want a tow hitch…??? Let me know your thoughts…Thanks!
No, the 80% rule doesn't apply to any car or truck, you are just fine towing up to the recommended maximum. Otherwise they would have made the recommended maximum 20% less. Not sure where you heard the 80% rule but that is silly. I will say, the heavier the load the more dangerous it is so use caution with heavier loads.

Can you tow more than 3,500lbs? Sure, just not recommended by the manufacturer and you are taking out the safety factor that the manufacturer has built in. I have a friend that regularly launches a boat that is over 5,000lbs with his Y, it is NOT recommended though and could be unsafe as well.

For your second question, if the ONLY reason you are buying the hitch is for resale value then don't get it. You will not get $1000 more for a your used car because it has a hitch.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Zanman! My point wasn’t F-150 vs. F-250 (although I totally hear you—good looking out!). Instead, I was highlighting that “tow rule” I’ve heard not to exceed 80% of the pickup truck’s total rates towing capacity. Do you know if that rule applies to EV’s? As for the Model Y tow hitch MAX of 3,500lbs, I was just watching videos of 16ft and 19ft (among the smallest) Airstream trailers that they make, and the dealer video stipulated 5,500lbs and 6,000lbs towing requirements, respectively. Based on that, I could/should not tow either of those trailers with my Model Y.
EV's don't generally have the torque limitation and go very well, although with range reduced to about half or less for the most part. Being able to pull is only part of the equation, though, as suspension, brakes, and chassis design/stiffness plays in as well.

To address your 80% question, I wouldn't be concerned about towing 3,500 lbs or even a small amount more from a safety standpoint. I also wouldn't be concerned with nearing the maximum for an F-150 Electric Lightning as long as you remain under GVWR and tongue weight for example. Tongue weight is normally around 10% of GVWR and worth paying attention to, because it addresses how your tow vehicle's suspension will handle the weight.

Any Airstream is in a different RV trailer class from an Ultralight and wouldn't be possible with a Y. Possible towable RV's would be something more like this Jayco JayFlight

Reactions: THEbuz
Upvote 0
EV's don't generally have the torque limitation and go very well, although with range reduced to about half or less for the most part. Being able to pull is only part of the equation, though, as suspension, brakes, and chassis design/stiffness plays in as well.

To address your 80% question, I wouldn't be concerned about towing 3,500 lbs or even a small amount more from a safety standpoint. I also wouldn't be concerned with nearing the maximum for an F-150 Electric Lightning as long as you remain under GVWR and tongue weight for example. Tongue weight is normally around 10% of GVWR and worth paying attention to, because it addresses how your tow vehicle's suspension will handle the weight.

Any Airstream is in a different RV trailer class from an Ultralight and wouldn't be possible with a Y. Possible towable RV's would be something more like this Jayco JayFlight
Thanks for weighing in, Z!
Check this out…
(Personally, I wouldn’t do it.)

Upvote 0
LOL, Check out the hitch this guy has fashioned inside the trunk subfloor at 4:30-4:40 of this video. That's a far cry from the 8 bolt bumper mount hitch receiver most of us are using!
So, you’re saying that the hitch in the video is more of a boss than my TESLA OEM hitch will be for $1,000??? I haven’t taken delivery of my Model Y yet, so I don’t know what it will look like. Will mine be visible from inside the cargo area of the vehicle like his, or will my hitch be more low profile than that (and, therefore, be rated for a lesser towing capacity)???

Upvote 0
Not a Y owner, just researching them currently coming from a Model 3 LR. My understanding is the tow hitch can be ordered to a Service Center and installed after delivery, so there's not a ton of resale benefit there given future owners can opt to add it themselves.

I was looking into inventory Ys, as a TON have shown up in Canada as of late, and was discouraged many didn't have the tow hitch. But in reading more I came to the conclusion I can easily get it added after. Search "Model Y Tow Package" and you'll see the listing on their site. Might be like $100 saved if ordered initially, otherwise they're the same.

Upvote 0
Not a Y owner, just researching them currently coming from a Model 3 LR. My understanding is the tow hitch can be ordered to a Service Center and installed after delivery, so there's not a ton of resale benefit there given future owners can opt to add it themselves.

I was looking into inventory Ys, as a TON have shown up in Canada as of late, and was discouraged many didn't have the tow hitch. But in reading more I came to the conclusion I can easily get it added after. Search "Model Y Tow Package" and you'll see the listing on their site. Might be like $100 saved if ordered initially, otherwise they're the same.
TESLA charges $1,300 USD to install the tow hitch unless you order it prior to VIN assignment (in which case it costs $1,000 USD).

Upvote 0
So, you’re saying that the hitch in the video is more of a boss than my TESLA OEM hitch will be for $1,000??? I haven’t taken delivery of my Model Y yet, so I don’t know what it will look like. Will mine be visible from inside the cargo area of the vehicle like his, or will my hitch be more low profile than that (and, therefore, be rated for a lesser towing capacity)???
Yes, the OEM or typical aftermarket installations are much different than the video you shared.

This video represents a typical Model Y/3 installation which is attached to bumper beam attachments. It also shows some of the work you're saving by not installing the $500 hitch and wiring kit yourself and instead allowing Tesla to do it for $1k.

Model Y Trailer Hitch Install

Upvote 0
Hi All,

So I have a question and this is the closest thread I can find that is relevant.

I am due to have a tow hitch fitted to my Y in the next few weeks. I have bought a caravan and that gets delivered this weekend (1600KG weight).

Until I have the tow bar fitted and the caravan on the back, I have no idea what the towing range will be. We are planing a trip to the south of france from the UK so circa 3000KM round trip. I can use ABRP to plan the route based on an adjusted KWH consumption but not sure what a rough number should be. Generally without towing my car runs with an average KWH of 270-280. When towing will this double? go up by 20%, 30%, 50%?

Any guidance you can offer me would be appreciated it.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi All,

So I have a question and this is the closest thread I can find that is relevant.

I am due to have a tow hitch fitted to my Y in the next few weeks. I have bought a caravan and that gets delivered this weekend (1600KG weight).

Until I have the tow bar fitted and the caravan on the back, I have no idea what the towing range will be. We are planing a trip to the south of france from the UK so circa 3000KM round trip. I can use ABRP to plan the route based on an adjusted KWH consumption but not sure what a rough number should be. Generally without towing my car runs with an average KWH of 270-280. When towing will this double? go up by 20%, 30%, 50%?

Thanks
Expect that your energy consumption will double and your range will halve.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Upvote 0
Hi All,

Thanks
Here's a video that goes pretty in depth into towing range and wh/mile.

Upvote 0
As a former Airstream owner, I could not agree more about that 80% rule. Next week, I am picking up a micro fiberglass Happier Camper trailer to tow behind my Y. My new BUG is outfitted with off-grid solar, lithium batteries, 12v AC, a heater, a kitchenette cabinet with sink and running water, and multiple bed configurations. Dry weight of this particular setup is 1558. I’m not going to tow more than 2500. Way under what the Y is rated for. I like my car too much to test it’s limits.

Attachments

• E5D04145-6D40-422C-B4AC-42564C86EBBA.jpeg
    E5D04145-6D40-422C-B4AC-42564C86EBBA.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Love
Reactions: laiod and THEbuz
Upvote 0
As a former Airstream owner, I could not agree more about that 80% rule. Next week, I am picking up a micro fiberglass Happier Camper trailer to tow behind my Y. My new BUG is outfitted with off-grid solar, lithium batteries, 12v AC, a heater, a kitchenette cabinet with sink and running water, and multiple bed configurations. Dry weight of this particular setup is 1558. I’m not going to tow more than 2500. Way under what the Y is rated for. I like my car too much to test it’s limits.
Very nice!

Upvote 0