Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Hitch package from Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did find in the Model X parts catalog that the pigtail appears to be part number 1072586-00-A and is listed as over-the-counter, no VIN required so it should be something that can be ordered by anyone. I'm going to be trying to get that part too.

Same part# I gave to SA. I offered to pay for it and was still told can't order an X part for a Y. Where did you see no Vin required?

I have a MY built 7.8.20, and ordered the tow hitch shortly after taking delivery 7.18.20. The $1200.00 + tax kit arrived in my SC several weeks ago. I was in that SC (Syosset, NY) 48 hours ago, and they made a series of calls on my behalf. They informed me that the part to which the hitch must be bolted is missing from my build, is on back order, and will be unavailable until approximately November. :eek:

This, apparently, is the part in question:
LOWER TRUNK ASSEMBLY
Part #: 1508656-00-D
It is not listed in Model Y parts. Was curious if it's a plastic cover type part or something structural. If it's just plastic it might be possible to install hitch now for use and add cover later. If it's structural, no such luck. Anyone have any idea what this part actually is?

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
They told me, on the two occasions when I inquired, that the part is the "Hitch Receiver" and it is the part to which the ordered Tow Hitch bolts. I have no way of verifying this, but have read elsewhere that in Sandy Munro's stripdown videos he makes mention that this part is missing from his vehicle.

From the online parts catalog - https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/66254. The pigtail is item #6

Thx, found it on there and called SA..He was thankful for the help and promised he would get. I asked him about the lower truck assembly. He thinks it's a plastic fascia but it's still listed as needed for install. He also thinks the November date is not too far fetched and rattled off a bunch of various major parts that have been backordered for weeks. Said he would follow through on it. Doubt we'll see it for months but, at least I won't be planning any more trips--better off knowing.
The good news is that they're opening a large SC just a few miles from me on 9/14, current one is 80 miles.

Thx, found it on there and called SA..He was thankful for the help and promised he would get. I asked him about the lower truck assembly. He thinks it's a plastic fascia but it's still listed as needed for install. He also thinks the November date is not too far fetched and rattled off a bunch of various major parts that have been backordered for weeks. Said he would follow through on it. Doubt we'll see it for months but, at least I won't be planning any more trips--better off knowing.

If you are talking about the plate that covers the hitch, then it is also listed as over-the-counter no VIN required.

If you are talking about the plate that covers the hitch, then it is also listed as over-the-counter no VIN required.

No, not the cover this is the part that's needed before they will schedule installation.
LOWER TRUNK ASSEMBLY
Part #: 1508656-00-D
It does show up on parts list now (link below)..It's the actual rear trunk cavity, assume it's slightly smaller and molded to allow hitch bar to fit.
https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/81824?partNumber=1508656-00-D&partId=15061724

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ArtK
Took the Y in yesterday morning to the Kearny Mesa SC in San Diego (appointment at 8:30am) to have the Tow Hitch installed, got a call later that afternoon that the part hasn’t even arrived. I told him that Tesla Parts shipped it to their location 2 weeks ago. Also told them that there is a tow kit available at the Miramar SC location with my Vin# on it. Should have it back today finally. This service guy at the Kearny Mess location is new or still being trained. They gave me $200.00 Uber voucher with a 3 day expiration date on it.

Fred

8D7B24DE-4B31-4881-A678-EC7865D66585.jpeg

Has anyone else ordered the Tow Hitch package after purchase from the Tesla store? Just curious how long it takes to ship to the dealership for installation? I ordered on 8/21 and have yet to get a ship notification.

I got it at the end of November, and it arrived at my local service center like two weeks later. I never got a shipping notice, but was contacted by a service rep. Weird thing is, they also sent me to different service center than I set it up for. I think they must have extra sets laying around. Getting it installed next Tuesday, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyone know if this can be installed by mobile service or is it sc only? Also on that ‘missing part’ does that affect only MYs before a certain VIN? I have a low vin, under 5000
Depends, I had Moblie service showing up, then they cancelled stating it can only be installed at the SC, so it depends on your area.

My hitch was shipped to the SC, they call you that the parts are in, then you set up and appointment on the App to have it installed.

This is a View of the 2 inch ball from the rear camera, makes aligning easy.

View attachment 630684

View attachment 630685

How close is the ball to the bumper in your set up? It looks pretty close in the picture, but that could just be the angle.

Also, what ball height do you have from the ground?

I'm wanting to order a Y, but holding out until I can see one with a tow hitch package installed so I can ensure the hitch meets my needs. Unfortunately the local SC doesn't seem to be able to show me anything with the tow package :-(