Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Package available soon from Tesla Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y Tow Package service installable has been "coming soon" since the Y was launched in June 2022, with the option to be emailed for updates.

This morning I received an update email to say :

We are pleased to advise that we have started to receive stock of the Model Y Tow Package.
We are now accepting bookings for Service Centre installation, based on the date which owners registered their interest.

As you have previously expressed an interest in this product, we would like to offer you the opportunity to place an order prior to further registered owners, and country-wide release.

If you would like to place an order, please call [redacted].
The cost of this package is $1970.00, including installation by a technician at one of our Service locations.

Now all I need is a Model Y!

Perth MYP VINs, where are you?

Got it installed today!

Was the first one in Canberra. Took them a bit longer to figure out exactly how because of that. Dropped the car of at 10am and pickup at 2pm. Unfortunately they didn't have any loaners available, so they gave me $60 Uber credit

I can't seem to find Trailer Mode in the settings. It should be under Controls > Pedals & Steering > Trailer Mode, but that option does not exist for me.

Is it only visible when I have something plugged into the electrical port?

Had Tesla Service have a look at my missing trailer mode while I was in the area. They confirmed it was missing and enabled it via their laptop. Was done at the service centre, but it would have also been possible remotely

I got it installed last week. Caution - it’s a 52mm hitch receiver. I got a 50mm hitch and if you towed with it over time it would likely flog out the receiver. Very difficult to find an appropriate one to spec. I am trying the 52mm Repco shorter hitch this weekend after failing on a Curt 50mm from Amazon. Even then I think it will need some spacing.

For bike carriers make sure you get a 52mm / 2”.

Also I am going to apply tape to the bumper when towing otherwise the safety chains rather annoyingly rest on the plastic.

I got it installed last week. Caution - it’s a 52mm hitch receiver. I got a 50mm hitch and if you towed with it over time it would likely flog out the receiver. Very difficult to find an appropriate one to spec. I am trying the 52mm Repco shorter hitch this weekend after failing on a Curt 50mm from Amazon. Even then I think it will need some spacing.

For bike carriers make sure you get a 52mm / 2”.

Also I am going to apply tape to the bumper when towing otherwise the safety chains rather annoyingly rest on the plastic.
Wow, thank you for the information! Good to know... Maybe it a US size - the Tesla specs over there say it's a 2" hitch receiver.

Yeah, the Repco one seems to be the only 52mm one I can find as well.

And a bike carrier was on my list eventually, so that's important too, thanks.

I'll have to see how mine looks after the install. I can't quite picture how the safety chains would rest on the plastic, but that would be annoying.

Reactions: Hairyman
Also, a further PSA on this.

Tesla hasn't updated the Model Y owners manual in Australia for towing yet (!). The section just is not there (24/3/23). You can use the U.S version in the meantime. It has a schematic on appropriate tow hitches, and searching high and low here, I just can't find a tow hitch that matches exactly - I have been through dozens and dozens and the Curt from Amazon I thought did it but see my issue above on that one. So I test fit the Repco one last week and it is a little short, I think by 20mm, but stuff it I'll buy it and I'll test it this weekend with a trailer for a tip run and let you all know if it works to-spec, and post the model number and part link if it does.

It’s pretty complex. They will need it for the day. Hoist, wheel guard liners off, wheels off, underside aero covers off, bumper off, bolt up steel support, run the wiring, have a smoke, cable tie stuff, bumper on, liners on, aero stuff on, cable tie random wiring that isn’t in place, smoke, wheels on, tow package software upload, test drive, tell foreman you are done, foreman register QA, foreman contact customer…

Also, a further PSA on this.

Tesla hasn't updated the Model Y owners manual in Australia for towing yet (!). The section just is not there (24/3/23). You can use the U.S version in the meantime. It has a schematic on appropriate tow hitches, and searching high and low here, I just can't find a tow hitch that matches exactly - I have been through dozens and dozens and the Curt from Amazon I thought did it but see my issue above on that one. So I test fit the Repco one last week and it is a little short, I think by 20mm, but stuff it I'll buy it and I'll test it this weekend with a trailer for a tip run and let you all know if it works to-spec, and post the model number and part link if it does.
Excellent information, thank you!
And yeah, I understand now how the chain could rest on the plastic based on some diagrams in that link.

I saw a few different types online at Repco, incl a longer one. But maybe that was already the one you were considering. It's called:

Repco Tow Hitch Long Reach 52mm - RTH52LNG​

I got the towbar email Yesterday, already booked for 4th April. Approximatly how long is the installation? Just wondering if I can just hang around while it's being installed?
I was wondering the same. EDIT: Was answered above.