Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Towing - Experiences Post here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cray beard- Are there attachments for the safety chains on the vehicle from the factory?
I have ordered a tow hitch and was wondering where I connect the safety chains too?
Thanks
Darren

They are part of the receiver, but a bit hidden up and behind the top plastic part of the bumper opening. This picture is from low looking up into the bumper opening. (attached pic)

Attachments

• IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 422
Towed with the Model Y today. Needed to drop my Cushman off to a friend to get it running again, and thought this would be a fun experiment.

Trailer is about 2400lbs ( yes, it's a 7000lb gross trailer)
I'm guessing the motorcycle and lawnmower were about 600 to 800lbs all together, so gross was around 3200lbs.
Total round Trip- 59miles
Elevation Change ~ 2500ft
Averaged 463 watt/mile
Mostly highway 55-60mph.

Couldn't really tell the trailer was back there, really unbelievable. I tow a 27ft 7000lb travel trailer and this was a breeze, loved the torque. I did drop the motorcycle off at the "top" of the hill before coming home. On the way up, I was seeing 1100watts/mile pretty much the entire drive up, divided highway 60mph. At the top I averaged ~800watts/mile before heading back down.

I had to keep telling myself to slow down, torque is truly amazing. We had our entire family of 4 riding along as well, so pretty weighted down.

I had to plug in 630 watts/miles (@65mph)in A better route planner to get comparable results from my trip.

Looking forward to towing a more aerodynamic trailer, I think the rough edges caused a little higher than normal energy consumption, but this was a cool data point.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200823-181922_ABRP.jpg
    Screenshot_20200823-181922_ABRP.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 20200823_181037.jpg
    20200823_181037.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 20200823_133838.jpg
    20200823_133838.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 377
Appears that if you ever did rely on the chains, that bumper would need to be replaced.

Agreed. It's already scratched up where the chains hang down. It's kind of low and I have to admit I don't notice it except when I'm down there putting the chains on/off - but loss of the trailer would definitely cause damage.

I've only seen once when a trailer came off (and even then only the after effect) for a camper trailer and the whole trailer rolled forward into the guys tailgate and bumper damaging everything. I'm guessing a trailer coming off the hitch is usually going to cause pretty good damage - the chains are mostly there to insure it's mostly just to the towing vehicle.

Towed with the Model Y today. Needed to drop my Cushman off to a friend to get it running again, and thought this would be a fun experiment.

Trailer is about 2400lbs ( yes, it's a 7000lb gross trailer)
I'm guessing the motorcycle and lawnmower were about 600 to 800lbs all together, so gross was around 3200lbs.
Total round Trip- 59miles
Elevation Change ~ 2500ft
Averaged 463 watt/mile
Mostly highway 55-60mph.

Couldn't really tell the trailer was back there, really unbelievable. I tow a 27ft 7000lb travel trailer and this was a breeze, loved the torque. I did drop the motorcycle off at the "top" of the hill before coming home. On the way up, I was seeing 1100watts/mile pretty much the entire drive up, divided highway 60mph. At the top I averaged ~800watts/mile before heading back down.

I had to keep telling myself to slow down, torque is truly amazing. We had our entire family of 4 riding along as well, so pretty weighted down.

I had to plug in 630 watts/miles (@65mph)in A better route planner to get comparable results from my trip.

Looking forward to towing a more aerodynamic trailer, I think the rough edges caused a little higher than normal energy consumption, but this was a cool data point.

Good information - cool to see you towing that big trailer.

That point about having to remember to slow down is very true. I had kept running into that because before they fixed our hood latch alert, I couldn't use cruise control (the alert kicked us out of CC). Without CC it's really hard to tell when the speed creeps up without staring at the speedometer constantly - because the car shows no other signs of stress. The car just acts like the trailer isn't even there, but sure sucks down the juice if you forget and let the speed creep up.

I towed a 13 foot sail boat with my new Model Y. It was a great experience overall.

0. Brake light signal from the harness don’t seem to work! I tried with a tester as well to isolate my trailer being the issue. Anyone else seen this issue? I was testing by trying to be in Park and pressing the brake pedal and doing drive at low speed in the parking lot. Am I testing it wrong? I added it to my upcoming service appointment.

1. The ball hitch bar jiggles a bit in the receiver as others have reported.

2. I wrapped the chains in an old t-shirt to protect the bumper. I tried to use some rubber gasket material and velcro strips but the velcro strip adhesive didn’t stay affixed to the rubber. Obviously need a better solution- I am going to try the safety chain hanger next I think.

3. It towed and the live rear and side camera view made me feel really pampered during the drive.

I towed a small boat with my Model Y recently. Used about 486 wh/m and usually I am around 300-310. I have not done this run without the trailer to compare. Trailer and boat are around 80 lbs. Had 4 people in the car as well. For the chains, I chose to hang the chains over the hitch instead of over. That held them up off of the bumper. I figured, if I needed the chains, the bumper would have to be replaced. I like the idea of replacing the chains with ropes, and the other one of using heater hose or bike tubes.

Attachments

• model y chains.JPG
    model y chains.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 258
  • Model Y and Avon.JPG
    Model Y and Avon.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 241
I towed a 13 foot sail boat with my new Model Y. It was a great experience overall.

0. Brake light signal from the harness don’t seem to work! I tried with a tester as well to isolate my trailer being the issue. Anyone else seen this issue? I was testing by trying to be in Park and pressing the brake pedal and doing drive at low speed in the parking lot. Am I testing it wrong? I added it to my upcoming service appointment.

1. The ball hitch bar jiggles a bit in the receiver as others have reported.

2. I wrapped the chains in an old t-shirt to protect the bumper. I tried to use some rubber gasket material and velcro strips but the velcro strip adhesive didn’t stay affixed to the rubber. Obviously need a better solution- I am going to try the safety chain hanger next I think.

3. It towed and the live rear and side camera view made me feel really pampered during the drive.
Plasti-dip the chain, perhaps?

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
We own a 5X8 Hiker Trailer seen below behind our Subie. Took it out a couple of weeks ago behind our Y for a test. Ran a 50 mile loop on the west side of Denver, 46 miles of 65 MPH and rolling hills. Started the test without the trailer and at 90% charge. We averaged 241 Wh/mile. Came back home and recharged and hooked up the trailer. (Which is actually easier than hooking up to the Subie.) We averaged 486 Wh/mile. Average temp outside on the 1st run was 36 degrees, and on the 2nd was 40. Trailer empty weight is 1000lbs with a tongue weight of 112lbs. On testing day we had all our normal stuff inside with an estimated gross weight of 1500 lbs. We couldn't even tell it was back there. No indication of working to go up the hills, and very stable going down them. No noise from the trailer hitch at all. Very stable and comfortable.
The range hit is significant, but looking at where we go here in Colorado, it is doable. Looking forward to taking it out and enjoying it. Happy to answer any questions folks may have.

Nate
2020 Model Y AWD LR

20190502_100124.jpg

We own a 5X8 Hiker Trailer seen below behind our Subie. Took it out a couple of weeks ago behind our Y for a test. Ran a 50 mile loop on the west side of Denver, 46 miles of 65 MPH and rolling hills. Started the test without the trailer and at 90% charge. We averaged 241 Wh/mile. Came back home and recharged and hooked up the trailer. (Which is actually easier than hooking up to the Subie.) We averaged 486 Wh/mile. Average temp outside on the 1st run was 36 degrees, and on the 2nd was 40. Trailer empty weight is 1000lbs with a tongue weight of 112lbs. On testing day we had all our normal stuff inside with an estimated gross weight of 1500 lbs. We couldn't even tell it was back there. No indication of working to go up the hills, and very stable going down them. No noise from the trailer hitch at all. Very stable and comfortable.
The range hit is significant, but looking at where we go here in Colorado, it is doable. Looking forward to taking it out and enjoying it. Happy to answer any questions folks may have.

Nate
2020 Model Y AWD LR

View attachment 629644
Curious about the MPG hit the Subie took when you towed same trailer with it....

Reactions: rvatornate