Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Towing - Experiences Post here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, considering that there is a ball rise limit on the Y of 0.75", you may run into difficulty trying to level your Scamp unless it just so happens to line up with the Model Y height.

In addition to @HyperionMark's great advice above, I'd add that a 14-50 extension cord is really helpful at campsites since the Tesla UMC often isn't long enough to reach without some awkward positioning. I always carry mine and run the extension under the camper. It also makes the car charging less obvious, which shouldn't be necessary but does limit the attention you might get about charging while camping. I've had a few unfriendly comments about it in the past.
The 13-ft Scamp has a recommended ball height of 18 inches while the 16-ft height is 21 if I recall correctly. So if @HyperionMark was successful I'm hoping I can be too.

Reactions: ohmman
The 13-ft Scamp has a recommended ball height of 18 inches while the 16-ft height is 21 if I recall correctly. So if @HyperionMark was successful I'm hoping I can be too.
If you need a bigger rise or drop, I might recommend an aftermarket hitch such as the Draw-Tite. I have installed two (on my old X and newer X) and they've been very stable towing my Airstream with weight distribution.

I've had all glowingly positive interactions - and one somewhat negative interaction.

The negative interaction came when Washington State was having its 110-115 degree F heat wave, and the campers were all running their AC's mid-day. Our camper section (probably 10-20 campers) kept tripping the master breaker in the excessive heat. The camp ranger came by and tried to tell me that my Tesla was tripping the circuit for everyone. Power conservation was the name of the game in that heat, so I agreed to only charge at night, but tried to explain as clearly as I could that it was in fact all the campers pulling power for their ACs that were tripping the circuit. (The circuit continued to trip even after I unplugged the Tesla). This was during the record heat wave on record that came through Washington last Summer, so everyone was certainly in unchartered waters.

Otherwise it's hard to be out on our campsites without people coming over and being impressed with our setup (here in EV-friendly Washington state), with questions about EVs pulling campers and charging EVs at campsites. Even the supercharger stops all but guarantee other Tesla owners coming up and asking questions in admiration.

Hello all
We finally made it safely to CA and well..That was def something! Hopefully the information I am sharing will help other trip adventurers 🙂
The route we did took us through the north (due to closeness of every leg between each supercharger) from NJ to PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, CO, UT, AZ and NV. I took pictures of 22 of the 30 legs to document every wh/m resultant “card” and I will not share every one but I will share some of the most dramatic ones:
The one I pushed the battery the lowest was to 8% in Des Moines supercharger, IN which had small number of uphills and was pretty much any other highway in the US:
5A95A8EF-399F-4E40-A177-B02E08BF61CC.jpeg

The other “special one” was getting to Denver, CO. There was some construction going on in the highway, the winds were awful at over 20mph and there was literally nothing around us except a sign that said “dont stop for hitch-jackers, correctional facility nearby“ (thats reassuring!). Just to made sure, we turned off the AC, lower the screen brightness and made sure the acceleration was set as “chill”. It was nerve wracking. No plan Bs around per Plugshare (not even a NEMA 14-50 around!). That card was this:
AB4E0733-5EAB-413F-994E-A32711345837.jpeg

It was 126 miles and we got there with 15% (maybe we were a bit dramatic?) This and the one within Green River, UT and Richfield, UT were the most challenging ones on the whole trip; range anxiety kicked in. No backup plans!
FA78605A-76F0-4486-9B49-1450E98CFAA4.jpeg

There were points were we made sure we were not going over 50mph on very steep, windy hills. Those drove us to even 40 mph sometimes.
In total the average was 500 wh/m over the 22 documented “cards” in the infotainment system. Like I said, volume wise the uHaul was 99% and the weight was pretty close to its capacity.
A last tip that caught me by surprise is that as soon as I hooked the empty uhaul it took the system a while to understand tow mode it seemed. It kept showing me poor range estimates on the navigator, with averages of 900 to 1000wh/m and giving me alerts that I was not going to reach my destination (my house; to load the trailer) being in 90% and less than 28 miles away.
Also I never understood what the color of the towing icon meant( red or blue ). Googling it said it was a faulty connection but we tested it all lights in both color icona and there was no difference whatsoever! It did seem to change more at night than at day but not exclusively. The cables were never even touched since its installation.
I hope this helps and you enjoyed reading this adventure!

Great write-up on your experience and glad to hear you made it without running out of charge! So, with a fully loaded U-Haul trailer, you basically averaged 2 miles / kWh, resulting around 120 - 150 miles between supercharging sessions.

I haven't towed something that big or heavy (just a small open trailer with a motorcycle, and the back of the Y loaded with track day gear), and I averaged around...IIRC around 425 wh/mi (this was driving from Boston > up state NY and NH).

Great write-up on your experience and glad to hear you made it without running out of charge! So, with a fully loaded U-Haul trailer, you basically averaged 2 miles / kWh, resulting around 120 - 150 miles between supercharging sessions.

I haven't towed something that big or heavy (just a small open trailer with a motorcycle, and the back of the Y loaded with track day gear), and I averaged around...IIRC around 425 wh/mi (this was driving from Boston > up state NY and NH).
I would say 130 miles would be pushing it. I wouldn’t dare go to 150 lol
Interesting!

Reactions: Koolio46
Hello all
We finally made it safely to CA and well..That was def something! Hopefully the information I am sharing will help other trip adventurers 🙂
The route we did took us through the north (due to closeness of every leg between each supercharger) from NJ to PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, CO, UT, AZ and NV. I took pictures of 22 of the 30 legs to document every wh/m resultant “card” and I will not share every one but I will share some of the most dramatic ones:
The one I pushed the battery the lowest was to 8% in Des Moines supercharger, IN which had small number of uphills and was pretty much any other highway in the US:
View attachment 748649

The other “special one” was getting to Denver, CO. There was some construction going on in the highway, the winds were awful at over 20mph and there was literally nothing around us except a sign that said “dont stop for hitch-jackers, correctional facility nearby“ (thats reassuring!). Just to made sure, we turned off the AC, lower the screen brightness and made sure the acceleration was set as “chill”. It was nerve wracking. No plan Bs around per Plugshare (not even a NEMA 14-50 around!). That card was this:
View attachment 748663
It was 126 miles and we got there with 15% (maybe we were a bit dramatic?) This and the one within Green River, UT and Richfield, UT were the most challenging ones on the whole trip; range anxiety kicked in. No backup plans!
View attachment 748667

There were points were we made sure we were not going over 50mph on very steep, windy hills. Those drove us to even 40 mph sometimes.
In total the average was 500 wh/m over the 22 documented “cards” in the infotainment system. Like I said, volume wise the uHaul was 99% and the weight was pretty close to its capacity.
A last tip that caught me by surprise is that as soon as I hooked the empty uhaul it took the system a while to understand tow mode it seemed. It kept showing me poor range estimates on the navigator, with averages of 900 to 1000wh/m and giving me alerts that I was not going to reach my destination (my house; to load the trailer) being in 90% and less than 28 miles away.
Also I never understood what the color of the towing icon meant( red or blue ). Googling it said it was a faulty connection but we tested it all lights in both color icona and there was no difference whatsoever! It did seem to change more at night than at day but not exclusively. The cables were never even touched since its installation.
I hope this helps and you enjoyed reading this adventure!
I had the same trailer fault indicator.
It's caused by lack of resistance with the LED trailer lights. It faults out when the headlights are on and is normal when they are off. But they always worked properly. May have been corrected now with a software update.

Reactions: JeffnReno