Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Towing Travel Trailer : Buying vs Renting vs Airbnb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ken43

Supporting Member
Feb 27, 2018
Florida
Was considering getting a Model Y and buying / towing a small Travel Trailer near the Great Smokey Mountains (North Carolina) for a vacation this fall. With the popularity of RVs this year, I imagine others may be considering similar trips. After doing much research, and with many thanks to the Model X owners out there who have shared their experiences towing travel trailers , here is what I have read:

- driving range may be cut in half on average when towing a travel trailer.
- Model Y can tow GVWR of 3500 pounds / 350 pound hitch weight
- Model X can tow GVWR of 5000 pounds / 500 pound hitch weight
- Most (but not all) sub 20 foot travel trailers have a GVWR (fully loaded weight) of greater than 3500 pounds, less than 5000 pounds. Many sub 20 foot travel trailers have a dry weight of less than 3500 pounds, but go over when loaded.
- Supercharging can be a problem with a travel trailer in tow as unhitching frequently required
- Campgrounds are busy, with daily rental fees of $50-$90
-Renting a travel trailer at the destination is possible, but due to high demand cost is $150-$200 /night after all fees are added in. ( outdoorsy and rvshare )
-Nice spacious airbnbs in the area go for $100-$200 a night.

After considering all this, I suspect the best towing experience , for a 16-20 foot travel trailer, would be from a Model X or a Tri-motor Cybertruck, not a model Y.

Therefore am considering just driving the model Y and going the airbnb route. Cheaper, more space, and more convenient , but will not get the "camping experience."

Does anybody else have any experience with this or other observations that I might be missing?

Thanks for all the insight. 3 people going on trip. so although the Y camp mode is intriguing for 1 or 2; too crowded for 3 people.
Do three of you plus your gear collectively weigh less than 475lb? Because that is the payload capacity left after you deduct 350lb tongue weight from payload capacity. You may think that is crazy. I certainly think so, but those are the official numbers. Perhaps you can put all your gears to the trailer to stay within the limits.

I wish.

Payload capacity is 825lb. Tow capacity 3,500 lb. Max hitch weight is 350. When you put the trailer on you need to subtract hitch weight from payload capacity to find what is left for driver, passengers and cargo. These are from my car's tag.

There is a big discrepancy going on between GAWR and GVWR, which you can see in the thread: is load capacity too low?

I wish.

Payload capacity is 825lb. Tow capacity 3,500 lb. Max hitch weight is 350. When you put the trailer on you need to subtract hitch weight from payload capacity to find what is left for driver, passengers and cargo. These are from my car's tag.

There is a big discrepancy going on between GAWR and GVWR, which you can see in the thread: is load capacity too low?

Above correct for 22 inch wheels. 20 inch wheels = larger numbers.

Unfortunately, No. I have 19 inch wheels and these numbers are for 19 inch. The numbers are taken directly from the label on the car body.

You are right though, 20 inch wheel Model Y towing capacity is even lower based on user manual. 21" capacities are the same as 19 inch wheel. There is no 22 Inch wheel in Model Y.

I have gone through a denial phase on such low numbers but I moved to acceptance phase. They are what they are ;)

Last edited:
I have gone through a denial phase on such low numbers but I moved to acceptance phase. They are what they are ;)

First off, I wanted a model y before the towing option was announced. But then i thought pulling a small travel trailer would be a bonus. But after doing the math on cargo capacity as you mentioned, compromises would have to be made. There is no way my party of three plus car cargo is less than 450 pounds. I am unwilling to spend $30,000 more for a x over a y just for more towing capacity.

As someone that has towed with a large Ford F250 and now now a Toyota Tacoma, towing with a Model Y will very very impractical. The towing limits are very limited as mentioned above. You range is going to be the real killer. You will have very limited range when you hook up a large object with the aerodynamics of a brick behind a Model Y. That 300 mile range will be less than 100 especially in the mountains. This is physics for any vehicle. Live in NC and go camping regularly with my son's scouting organization hauling a loaded 3000 lbs trailer that takes our supplies. My Tacoma which gets about 22 MPG without the trailer now will get about 11 MPG with the trailer. I have the ability to get to a gas station pretty easy. Here is a good video on a Model X towing a relatively small trailer.

It's always laughable that people suddenly "discover" that physics (like gravity, air resistance, drag) doesn't change when switching to an electric vehicle.

This is physics for any vehicle. Live in NC and go camping regularly with my son's scouting organization hauling a loaded 3000 lbs trailer that takes our supplies. My Tacoma which gets about 22 MPG without the trailer now will get about 11 MPG with the trailer.