Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Tesla owners need some input on towing with the Model Y. When you purchase the $1,000 tow package for the Model Y, Tesla also adds a Trailer Mode button in the Driving screen under Slip Start. It states,

” Always enable Trailer Mode before towing a trailer. Trailer Mode disables or restricts certain vehicle functions including some Driver Assistance features. Do not enable Trailer Mode when not towing a trailer. Please refer to the Owner’s Manual for more information on towing trailers with Model Y”.

My concern is will a after market tow packages damage your Tesla if this Trailer Mode is not engaged? Will towing without engaging Trailer Mode void the warranty? The big question for Model Y owners is can Tesla service add Trailer Mode after purchase? These questions need to be addressed. I would not want any Tesla owner to damage their Model Y. Please see what you can find out about these questions.

Attachments

• IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,656
Well for $1200, you can add the official Tesla Model Y Tow Package after purchase, which includes the tow mode software package: Model Y Tow Package

I have ordered this for my Model Y, but have not had it installed yet. My model X that has the tow option, when enabling tow mode, it will disable some Autopilot functions.

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but many people have added after market trailer hitches to their Teslas. Maybe they can chime in.

If you add an aftermarket hitch and Tesla can prove whatever theoretical damage you are talking about was caused by adding said hitch; then they can deny your warranty claim.

The same could be said for the factory hitch if you are trying to tow 10,000 pounds with it.

Tesla owners need some input on towing with the Model Y. When you purchase the $1,000 tow package for the Model Y, Tesla also adds a Trailer Mode button in the Driving screen under Slip Start. It states,

” Always enable Trailer Mode before towing a trailer. Trailer Mode disables or restricts certain vehicle functions including some Driver Assistance features. Do not enable Trailer Mode when not towing a trailer. Please refer to the Owner’s Manual for more information on towing trailers with Model Y”.
I don’t have a Y, but on my X when I connect my trailer electrical cable to the plug by the hitch receiver the car automatically goes into Trailer Mode. It would surprise me if the Y does not do that.

I cannot offer you any advice on specific aftermarket trailer hitches except to say that I recommend that if you want to tow a trailer, buy the Tesla towing option so you get the tow package software along with the hitch.

There are multiple threads about towing in the main Model Y forum that you should review, as the issues you raise have been discussed.

on my X when I connect my trailer electrical cable to the plug by the hitch receiver the car automatically goes into Trailer Mode. It would surprise me if the Y does not do that.
To clarify: I have the factory tow package option on my X, so that when I connect my trailer to the car it automatically engages Trailer Mode. I assume that a Y with the factory tow package option will behave the same way.