Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y TPMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw or read somewhere that the Y has different TPMS sensors than the 3, but can't find confirmation. If so does anyone know which type the Y uses and if they are available 3rd party?

I've been kicking around the idea of getting some 19" that would fit both my 3 LR RWD (currently 18" Aeros) and my future Y Performance with PUP now and put them on the 3. Since they will most likely end up on the Y I'd want to get TPMS sensors compatible with it so I don't have to keep swapping them around.

Reactions: cstork
I saw or read somewhere that the Y has different TPMS sensors than the 3, but can't find confirmation. If so does anyone know which type the Y uses and if they are available 3rd party?

I've been kicking around the idea of getting some 19" that would fit both my 3 LR RWD (currently 18" Aeros) and my future Y Performance with PUP now and put them on the 3. Since they will most likely end up on the Y I'd want to get TPMS sensors compatible with it so I don't have to keep swapping them around.
I thought they were the same as the model 3.... I ordered these on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N763Y3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are not registering with the model y... Any help? Do I have to take it to Tesla and fork a lot of money for theirs?

I thought they were the same as the model 3.... I ordered these on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N763Y3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are not registering with the model y... Any help? Do I have to take it to Tesla and fork a lot of money for theirs?

Try to manually "activate" the new sensors by deflating down 5 PSI then inflate up 5 PSI, each tire.

Then reboot the Y.

Since the current software does not have the TPMS reset/relearn or wheel config....after deflate/inflate to correct cold pressure, reboot, drive the Y, minimum 15 mph x 10 minutes...see if the Y detects new TPMS sensors.

Good Luck...keep us posted.

Last edited:
Try to manually "activate" the new sensors by deflating down 5 PSI then inflate up 5 PSI, each tire.

Then reboot the Y.

Since the current software does not have the TPMS reset/relearn or wheel config....after deflate/inflate to correct cold pressure, reboot, drive the Y, minimum 15 mph x 10 minutes...see if the Y detects new TPMS sensors.

Good Luck...keep us posted.
Tried this right now. Didn’t work at all. So bummed! I might take it to Tesla or just wait for the software update to add the “reset”.

I saw a YouTube video where they claim that they are Bluetooth and that currently only Tesla can reprogram your car for a different set of TPMS sensors. (Although the manual says that it relearns automatically after ~10 minutes of driving over 15 MPH.)

The other issue is that the Model Y uses a different width and offset than the Model 3. So I don't know that even the wheels are compatible.

Edit: Confirmed from the manual:

Model Y TPMS.png

So it may not be BT, but it is certainly not compatible with the S, X, or 3. (The Model 3 uses a Continental sensor at 433.92Mhz.)

Last edited:
I saw a YouTube video where they claim that they are Bluetooth and that currently only Tesla can reprogram your car for a different set of TPMS sensors. (Although the manual says that it relearns automatically after ~10 minutes of driving over 15 MPH.)

The other issue is that the Model Y uses a different width and offset than the Model 3. So I don't know that even the wheels are compatible.

Edit: Confirmed from the manual:

View attachment 531772

So it may not be BT, but it is certainly not compatible with the S, X, or 3. (The Model 3 uses a Continental sensor at 433.92Mhz.)

You are correct. Tesla is using new sensor for the Y.
Anybody know where to get them other than Tesla Service/Parts?
Screenshot_20200412-140025_Drive.jpg

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. I guess I'll be holding of until I get my Y as I don't want to go through the hassle of having to switch the sensors in and out and there doesn't appear to be any generic options for the new sensor yet.

I've looked around for the Model Y TPMS, and outside of Tesla, I don't think they (yet) exist.
I also confirmed this today with the Tesla SC advisor. Got quoted at $75/sensor or $300 w/o tax for four.
Ordering some 255/45-19 wheels and tires to be shipped to local tirerack supplier to get it all assembled and put my 21"s aside until the spring.

Ugh. I am in need of a second set. I have the 21” Übers for the summer, and just swapped wheels & tires for the 19” Geminis but without TPMS installed.

I usually do not run TPMS in my winter wheel setups as I don’t care and can live with the small indicator light, however there is a massive bar across the backend of the Tesla avatar in the center console and it actually obstructs my blind spot visibility from the side cameras.

B5B5FAE0-781A-4844-B19E-2C278F312699.jpeg

Ugh. I am in need of a second set. I have the 21” Übers for the summer, and just swapped wheels & tires for the 19” Geminis but without TPMS installed.

I usually do not run TPMS in my winter wheel setups as I don’t care and can live with the small indicator light, however there is a massive bar across the backend of the Tesla avatar in the center console and it actually obstructs my blind spot visibility from the side cameras.

View attachment 623551

First you pay for a car with a propriety sensor, then they put a big ass fault message across your screen to make sure you buy overpriced TPMS you can't get anywhere else (at least for the time being). I now understand the current valuation of TSLA ;)

• Funny
Reactions: positiv and frankvb

View attachment 623551

Its annoying, and no way to rid of it at least for the duration of the drive.
You can click and drag to the left to minimize though (from previous UI version).
Until it appears full banner again triggered by other notification like AP grab the wheel nag.

I had it for few weeks - then I gave in, bought the $300 OE TPMS sensors.

@millerwb

Tesla mobile should be delivering my 4 TPMS 1/18/21 for my 19” Gemini wheels.

I finally caved and could not handle the constant reminder/idiot light - and with no real way to dismiss (electrical tape or similar). Then off to discount tire to install this week I hope.