Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Trade-In Values, decreasing? Bait&switch? (Trade In: Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the blanket text message after the factory re-opened to complete the profile and payment. That was at eh last week of April. I put in my trade in information and photos uploaded to the Tesla Site. A day later I was sent a quote of $27,500 for my 2019 Volvo CX40. I wasn't happy with the amount so I removed the trade in.

2 months later I got the message that my Tesla Y will be available for pick up between June 25 and 28. I tried to put the trade in back and with a little help from the show room staff, they reinstated the trade in option on my account and the $27,500 trade in amount. I went to Carmax and got a quote of $30,000. With Sales tax allowance it's about equal to Tesla. Than I took the car to the local Volvo Dealer and got a quote of $31,000.

Still not happy I went on Carvana. It gave me $34,500. With that information I immediately deleted the trade in on my account and planned on selling the car to Carvana. A day before my MY delivery I went on Carvana and asked for another quote. To my surprise the offer went up to $35,854.

As soon as I picked up the MY I went online and sold the car to Carvana, I picked a date for them to come get my car. On Monday this week they came, I signed a few pieces of paper, signed and handed them my title and I got the check for the full amount. They didn't test drove it; not even a walk around the car. Took the check immediately and deposited. A day later the check cleared and money in the account.

In summary for the trade in:

Tesla offer $27,500
Carmax $30,000
Volvo $31,000
Carvana $35,854

A point to mention was that I also got a quote from Carvana back at the end of April and Carvana quoted my the the car was qorth about $34,500 and had to deduct about $4,000 "local market adjustment". The latest quote was also around $34,500 but with the addition of almost $1,400 market adjustment up to $35,854.

I think my non trade in worked out well. Some of you may not have good experience with Carvana but for me I have no complaint.

With the resale marktplace for Tesla being so strong, it surprises me to see people complaining that they are getting low prices for trade ins.

If you want top $ you need to do the work, and sell it yourself. If you want the easy-peasy trade in convenience, then you are going to get less $.