Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Trailer Wiring Harness - Part Number?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla People!

I've been hunting high and low for this. Like many of you I've ordered an aftermarket EcoHitch for my Model Y and am happy to work through the installation on my own.

Re: a wiring harness, I have not found any 7-pin connector solutions and also can not see a reasonable way to tow a 3,000lb camper trailer without also adding a proper brake controller which needs a brake signal.

I found this Tesla part for the Model X that plugs directly into the connector on the bumper and provides the 7-pin connector.
1046032-00-C

Does anyone know if this is the same part / wiring for the Model Y? It seems that adding this and mounting along with the hitch assembly would be ideal. I will then supplement with a brake controller using the 4-pin connector up under the dash.

Any advice appreciated (minus "go spend $1200 on the OEM hitch").

Thank you in advance!

Hello Tesla People!

I've been hunting high and low for this. Like many of you I've ordered an aftermarket EcoHitch for my Model Y and am happy to work through the installation on my own.

Re: a wiring harness, I have not found any 7-pin connector solutions and also can not see a reasonable way to tow a 3,000lb camper trailer without also adding a proper brake controller which needs a brake signal.

I found this Tesla part for the Model X that plugs directly into the connector on the bumper and provides the 7-pin connector.
1046032-00-C

Does anyone know if this is the same part / wiring for the Model Y? It seems that adding this and mounting along with the hitch assembly would be ideal. I will then supplement with a brake controller using the 4-pin connector up under the dash.

Thank you in advance!
The connector looks identical to the one on the Y. Its a Molex 34985-1606, but the Y seems to have the wires maybe in a different spot. Not actually tried one though.

Hi thanks! This video (like many other resources online) is for the brake controller which is *after* you install the hitch and 7-pin connector on the rear end of the Model Y. They've purchased the Tesla package and it comes with the 7-pin controller and outlet.

I found this diagram which shows both. Number 6 is the harness (pigtail) that attaches up under the dashboard. Number 2 is the part I'm trying to verify for the Model Y. (1046032-00-C)

If this is the right part I'll either ask Tesla to sell it to me direct or look online (ebay seems to have some).

Trailer Hitch

Hello Tesla People!

Re: a wiring harness, I have not found any 7-pin connector solutions and also can not see a reasonable way to tow a 3,000lb camper trailer ...

Thank you in advance!

I don't understand why one would not purchase the OEM hitch, especially if intending to pull a 3,000lb. trailer. The liability and warranty issues alone make saving a few bucks a questionable value.

Reactions: EchoDelta
In case people are interested, I've come across an eBay listing that had the Tesla part number for the 7-pin connector. This is the short cable that comes off of the existing Molex connector and provides the 7-pin trailer outlet:
1534249-00-A-003

Tesla service has not yet confirmed availability of this part. Since you can currently buy the Model X equivalent I am assuming it's only a matter of time before this is available.

In the meantime I was able to source a few of the Molex connectors:
Molex Connector Part Number - 34985-1606

And through Molex support order the tin crimp pins that go into it. Using a standard 7-wire USCAR parts off Amazon I added some smaller gauge wires, crimped on the pins and got them to latch into the connector. Before hooking up to the car's female adapter I took a voltmeter and verified pin mapping (+12V, Ground, Left/Right/Brake/Backup/Lights).

This was somewhat involved; I can't say I recommend this unless you're willing to invest some time to fiddle with wiring and parts although none of the parts were expensive. Now that it's all put together it'll work just fine and Trailer Mode *does* light up automatically when I plug in.

My recommendation:
* Get the Ecohitch and install it. As others have noted, it's extremely straightforward to do so.
* Wait for Tesla to sell the cable.

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob
Does anyone know if tesla trailer harness 1534249-00-A-003 will work on a 2020 Tesla Y ? Can I just plug this into an existing connector to get trailer lights working ? Would it enable Tow Mode and cancel AP and the rear sensors while towing, or is that some added software in addition ?

In case people are interested, I've come across an eBay listing that had the Tesla part number for the 7-pin connector. This is the short cable that comes off of the existing Molex connector and provides the 7-pin trailer outlet:
1534249-00-A-003

Tesla service has not yet confirmed availability of this part. Since you can currently buy the Model X equivalent I am assuming it's only a matter of time before this is available.

In the meantime I was able to source a few of the Molex connectors:
Molex Connector Part Number - 34985-1606

And through Molex support order the tin crimp pins that go into it. Using a standard 7-wire USCAR parts off Amazon I added some smaller gauge wires, crimped on the pins and got them to latch into the connector. Before hooking up to the car's female adapter I took a voltmeter and verified pin mapping (+12V, Ground, Left/Right/Brake/Backup/Lights).

This was somewhat involved; I can't say I recommend this unless you're willing to invest some time to fiddle with wiring and parts although none of the parts were expensive. Now that it's all put together it'll work just fine and Trailer Mode *does* light up automatically when I plug in.

My recommendation:
* Get the Ecohitch and install it. As others have noted, it's extremely straightforward to do so.
* Wait for Tesla to sell the cable.
Hi there, I'm wondering where does the molex connector connects to? Is it right inside the bumper by the driver side? I need to make sure my MY2020 has the connector before even attempting.