Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - True Flat Floor Solution for Camp Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't seem to find other threads on this, so I'm starting my own - has anybody come up with a good way of making the back area of the Model Y truly flat for sleeping when using it in camp mode? Is there a mattress or another device that accounts for the slope of the floor when the car is level? I've read where others are removing the rear seat cushion, but I don't want to do this regularly for fear of damaging the electrical connectors over time.

It’s not true flat but it’s hard to tell or feel with exped megamat txy. It’s a fantastic mattress. The only issue is lack of support under head area and we place a 4’x2’ hardboard under the mat to cover the gap between the two rear headrests.

I've read where others are removing the rear seat cushion, but I don't want to do this regularly for fear of damaging the electrical connectors over time.
I quite often remove the rear seat cushion, for camping or to carry bikes during the summer.

So I don't plug back the connectors everytime, but only one time a year before winter
because I would need the heater for the seats and I don't also go camping in winter.

I quite often remove the rear seat cushion, for camping or to carry bikes during the summer.

So I don't plug back the connectors everytime, but only one time a year before winter
because I would need the heater for the seats and I don't also go camping in winter.
I also remove the rear bench seat in the M3 for the entire summer while I use it for camping and it works great to create a level sleeping area.

However, I read that removing the rear seat bench in the MY did not allow the seats to fold flat like in the M3. I did camp in the MY once with my exped megamat and definitely noticed an incline but never tried again without the bench seat in MY.

I had been curious about removing the rear seat bench in the Model Y to enable the seats to fold flat like I have heard about for the Model 3. I couldn't find any YouTube videos demonstrating the Model Y removal only found videos regarding the Model 3.

I tried removing the rear seat bench for the Model Y. There didn't seem to be any latches like I saw in videos for the Model 3 so removal actually seemed easier? However, I only found one [seat heater] plug connector not two like for Model 3. In my brief test I couldn't finagle the plug connector to disconnect. It seemed like a different plug connector then what I saw in a video for the Model 3. I was parked in the shade and I didn't use a light to really get a good look.

I also remove the rear bench seat in the M3 for the entire summer while I use it for camping and it works great to create a level sleeping area.

However, I read that removing the rear seat bench in the MY did not allow the seats to fold flat like in the M3. I did camp in the MY once with my exped megamat and definitely noticed an incline but never tried again without the bench seat in MY.

has anyone actually removed the seats on the Y? ive only seen suggestions... also i have 7 seater not sure if its the same

I took pictures of the rear seats folded: one with rear bench seat bottom in place and one with removal of rear seat bottom. I can't tell if there's a difference to how low the rear seatbacks fold flat when the rear seat bottom is removed. I should have done a better job of matching my photo angle as the slight difference in folding flat could merely be do to the slight change in angle of photo.

fold flat question 2.jpg
fold flat question 1.jpg

I took pictures of the rear seats folded: one with rear bench seat bottom in place and one with removal of rear seat bottom. I can't tell if there's a difference to how low the rear seatbacks fold flat when the rear seat bottom is removed. I should have done a better job of matching my photo angle as the slight difference in folding flat could merely be do to the slight change in angle of photo.

View attachment 957506 View attachment 957507
Hard to tell for sure but your pics seem to show what others have said about the seat backs not folding completely flat, even with the bench seat removed. I think the best option is to find something to level out the rear space with the seatbacks. I stacked some moving blankets back there the last time I went camping and that seemed to help a bit

Hard to tell for sure but your pics seem to show what others have said about the seat backs not folding completely flat, even with the bench seat removed. I think the best option is to find something to level out the rear space with the seatbacks. I stacked some moving blankets back there the last time I went camping and that seemed to help a bit
i just park on a hill.. hopefully theres one around

Reactions: zoomer0056
I did the same - stacked moving blankets in a wedge shape, and this did the trick. I‘m surprised that this issue has not been covered more In the forums/online, as that sudden angle change at approx chest level isn’t comfortable for sleeping (for me, anyway), even while using an Exped Duo mattress (which is totes awesome, BTW). Jimmy from Living in Tesla created a cool MY camping/sleeping system that is angled in the front in order to keep the sleeping surface perfectly level (
), with storage underneath. It is more than many people need or want, but I am thinking about creating a modified version. At bare minimum, a wedge-shaped platform could be fitted into place, and would work quite well. :)

I did the same - stacked moving blankets in a wedge shape, and this did the trick. I‘m surprised that this issue has not been covered more In the forums/online, as that sudden angle change at approx chest level isn’t comfortable for sleeping (for me, anyway), even while using an Exped Duo mattress (which is totes awesome, BTW). Jimmy from Living in Tesla created a cool MY camping/sleeping system that is angled in the front in order to keep the sleeping surface perfectly level (
), with storage underneath. It is more than many people need or want, but I am thinking about creating a modified version. At bare minimum, a wedge-shaped platform could be fitted into place, and would work quite well. :)
Cannot get anymore awesome than that!!!

So question about this. I just got my Y (had a 3 previously) and am interested in camping. For my regular bed, I use an adjustable frame and sleep and a much steeper angle than the seats. Is where the angle in the Y happens just uncomfortable or will I be fine since I'm used to sleeping at a steep angle? I still need to get some kind of mattress for the back, so haven't been able to test it yet.

Seems like the angle would bother me. I can sleep at a bit of an incline but it's more that its not flat than not level with a charge in the angle at base of folded 2nd row.

Also not sure those 76" exact fit Y beds will be long enough for 6'3" me. I might need some sort of support in the gap between 2nd and front row.

Sleeping will likely be just me but for a lot of long overnight drives, ski trips, camping. Likely could sleep diagonally to get some extra inches.

Thinking some sort of base to get everything flat level and extended a few inches like the reddit post will be best for me. Then an 80" twin foam sleeping pad.

Open to feedback or other ideas, thanks.

Seems like the angle would bother me. I can sleep at a bit of an incline but it's more that its not flat than not level with a charge in the angle at base of folded 2nd row.

Also not sure those 76" exact fit Y beds will be long enough for 6'3" me. I might need some sort of support in the gap between 2nd and front row.

Sleeping will likely be just me but for a lot of long overnight drives, ski trips, camping. Likely could sleep diagonally to get some extra inches.

Thinking some sort of base to get everything flat level and extended a few inches like the reddit post will be best for me. Then an 80" twin foam sleeping pad.

Open to feedback or other ideas, thanks.
I’m 6-2 and barely fit with exped txy and the hardboard I mentioned earlier. I think you being 6-3, being diagonal is the only solution.

Reactions: MacO512