Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y trunk not closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2020 Model Y used recently. I didn’t notice this at the dealer but lately the trunk requires me to push on it to latch correctly. Otherwise it won’t lock. It’s also pushing down on the interior trim inside on the right hand side and crushing it. I’ve had Tesla mobile repair look at it and into the tesla repair shop. Both couldn’t fix it and they said because it closes and locks for them there is nothing to repair. They now want me to take it to a body shop to get it worked on at my expense. Car has never been in an accident and still under the 4 year warranty and only has 28k miles. I did see there’s a 1 year, 12k mile fit and finish warranty that’s obviously expired. Am I wrong to keep asking Tesla to fix the trunk? I feel it is a safety issue as it doesn’t close correctly and requires manual compression to lock it. Thoughts?

My new MY now has this problem AFTER Tesla Service tried addressing another trunk issue (actuator wasn’t working, so I had to pull up HARD to get the trunk to open). After getting that issue fixed, I now need to force my trunk closed. In my case, the trunk originally had more of a panel gap on the left side. I mentioned that to the techs and they fixed the gap but in doing so it appears the latch on the trunk is misaligned with the U-ring it’s supposed to lock to. In my case, I probably have to get the techs to bring back the ugly panel gap so my trunk will close in a centered enough fashion for the metal cincher on the trunk door to align and lock with the U-ring automatically as it did before. Maybe worth looking to see if your catch is properly aligned with the U-ring. Mine isn’t off by much but it’s off just enough that it won’t lock when shut without a hard push.

My new MY now has this problem AFTER Tesla Service tried addressing another trunk issue (actuator wasn’t working, so I had to pull up HARD to get the trunk to open). After getting that issue fixed, I now need to force my trunk closed. In my case, the trunk originally had more of a panel gap on the left side. I mentioned that to the techs and they fixed the gap but in doing so it appears the latch on the trunk is misaligned with the U-ring it’s supposed to lock to. In my case, I probably have to get the techs to bring back the ugly panel gap so my trunk will close in a centered enough fashion for the metal cincher on the trunk door to align and lock with the U-ring automatically as it did before. Maybe worth looking to see if your catch is properly aligned with the U-ring. Mine isn’t off by much but it’s off just enough that it won’t lock when shut without a hard push.
Thanks for the info!