Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y trunk not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picked up my model y tonight. this is the strangest thing. the trunk won't close all the way and lock unless a door is open. that's why I didn't notice it when I picked it up because I had the drivers door open. If any of the doors is open, even a crack, then the trunk will go all the way down and the latch will engage. If all of the doors are closed then it will go down all the way but not latch and it will beep twice. Everything else on the car is perfect.

There are four bumpers that are easily adjusted to fix this. Worst case, two Torx screws to move the catch. Too tight is better than too loose. Too loose causes a very loud low frequency noise in the car. It's a very easy fix.

While we didn't have this issue with it not closing if the doors are closed... we did have an issue of it not closing at all. The service center tried adjusting the bumpers and I think they even cut off some of the plastic from the taillight (not sure if damage was there previously) and it still wouldn't shut. They had to do an electronic calibration which took about 20 minutes and now it closes perfect every time.

Well, it's not so strange. Mine does it too. The hatch won't latch automatically. You have to give it a little push to get it to latch all the way.

But if one of the doors is open, it latches fine. I tried adjusting the bumpers, but it has no effect. It's gotta be an air pressure thing, but I find that hard to believe. I'll see if I can adjust the latch (if I can find the right torx driver).

So I read online that someone with an X had the same thing and he said you just need to close it manually really hard and then it would work after that. Sure enough I did that and now it closes on it's own every time.

So I read online that someone with an X had the same thing and he said you just need to close it manually really hard and then it would work after that. Sure enough I did that and now it closes on it's own every time.
So I just had a problem where the liftgate suddenly stopped working correctly. It wouldn't open. It would unlatch and then just relatch a second later. I could manually force it up, then press close and it would close just fine. But when I would try to open, it would not open and just relatch. I tried forcing it all the way open and press-holding the close button for three seconds to reset the opening height. No deal. It still would not open.

So I searched for this problem, found this thread, and tried the above solution (slamming it closed). Lo and behold, the problem went away. Well, I'll be damned.