Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Trunks. So Many Dents I see

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, is it just me but every other model Y I see on the roads seem to all have dents or scratches on the trunk.
Is this because they all accidentally opened the trunk while parked in a garage? I see this so frequently thought id ask if this is something that i only notice.

On multiple occasions fiddling for my phone in the pocket I had the control app on the tesla open ready to pop the trunk too, so I know it maybe a possibility.

Could this be a phenomenon like the Camry Dent? :p

You brought back some of my bad memories. I was in a service centre trying to fix the latch of the trunk when I first got the car (2 weeks old) and they had my trunk dented, on top of that, the service manager blamed me of rushing them to finish the job & caused that accident. He did offer me to fix the dent but I turned it down. Not trusting them at all and the dent is still there. Pretty noticeable especially when the car is clean during summer months and drives me crazy since I have OCD. Not sure if it's against the rule to expose the name of the service centre, PM me if you would like to know which one to avoid in Toronto area.

Reactions: baguette
I assume you're talking about along the top edge of the 'spoiler' area.... I haven't seen a lot of dents but have seen a few paint chips. My wife did same on our car, but it was easily fixed with the Tesla paint repair kit.

Yup, I got a few of those scratches from the trunk lid hitting garage ceilings, tree branches and other stuff. My wife and I each have a white Tesla that look very similar in the app. Several times click 'open trunk' and wondered why nothing happens. Meanwhile the other Tesla keeps banging a concrete ceiling in a garage somewhere :D .

Thinking of putting on a spoiler to cover it all up as well as protecting the paint/prevent corrosion.

Reactions: dfresh3033
Yup, I got a few of those scratches from the trunk lid hitting garage ceilings, tree branches and other stuff. My wife and I each have a white Tesla that look very similar in the app. Several times click 'open trunk' and wondered why nothing happens. Meanwhile the other Tesla keeps banging a concrete ceiling in a garage somewhere :D .

Thinking of putting on a spoiler to cover it all up as well as protecting the paint/prevent corrosion.
You could just set the lift height setting and stop hitting the ceiling. An interesting option found in the manual.

Reactions: Rockstop and Olle
You could just set the lift height setting and stop hitting the ceiling. An interesting option found in the manual.
That was the first thing I did when I got home with the Y. Just a matter of manually moving the hatch to the desired height, then holding down the open/close button for about five seconds.

Now it's not like I had it all planned it as the first thing to do.... I opened the trunk and it was about to hit the garage door when I grabbed it. Lucky thing I was standing by it. A sign on the dash or somewhere warning about this would have been nice. Can't imagine how many owners have damaged their trunks immediately when arriving home after taking delivery. I also make sure to park fully into the garage whether I'm closing the garage door or not because there have been a few instances I've opened the trunk accidentally.

Last edited:
Been babying the hell out of my wheels, interior, and paint since I got mine two years ago now. Went to Toronto, had a stressful afternoon getting out of the city into our hotel by the airport, parked in the parking garage to get everything unloaded and didn't even consider the concrete cieling. Slammed my white paint into the concrete, took a nice chip all the way down to the primer, guess who is going to be installing a spoiler now?

Been babying the hell out of my wheels, interior, and paint since I got mine two years ago now. Went to Toronto, had a stressful afternoon getting out of the city into our hotel by the airport, parked in the parking garage to get everything unloaded and didn't even consider the concrete cieling. Slammed my white paint into the concrete, took a nice chip all the way down to the primer, guess who is going to be installing a spoiler now?
The same thing happened to me. A friend of ours opened the trunk in a parking structure and it hit a concrete beam above us. I picked up the Tesla Paint Repair Kit (By the way, don't bother with this for the Pearl White. It looks far too gray to even get close to matching), but I never thought of picking up the spoiler to hide it. I am going to definitely consider this!

Yup! I was on my app thinking I was opening my model 3 trunk but I was really opening my wife's model y which was garaged...over and over and over again. It destroyed her trunk and my garage door. And the trunk DEFINITELY opens way higher than other cars. We can't open her Y in the garage or even in our office parking garage without the trunk hitting the ceiling. She never had that problem with her Lexus NX. It's crazy.

Same.

Yup! I was on my app thinking I was opening my model 3 trunk but I was really opening my wife's model y which was garaged...over and over and over again. It destroyed her trunk and my garage door. And the trunk DEFINITELY opens way higher than other cars. We can't open her Y in the garage or even in our office parking garage without the trunk hitting the ceiling. She never had that problem with her Lexus NX. It's crazy.
That's crazy. Sorry man. Do you not know how to set the height?? You can set it low, then whenever you need it fully open, manually push it open all the way. Next time it reopens, it's back the preset height.

The Model Y rear hatch, with the factory setting, opens somewhat higher than any SUV I have owned before. I had to adjust mine lower and raise the upper limit on my garage door to allow clearance. The high default setting may be causing the problem.
the first thing I did when I went to look over the car while accepting delivery of it was to re-adjust the trunk. I set the open to half the height and then re-adjust once I got home I re-adjusted it to the right height.

on our old car the first couple nights in our new house (and garage) the trunk door opened up right into the garage door as the garage door was trying to open. left a minor paint scratch on the bottom of it.