Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Uberturbine wheels on a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I created a post on the FB pages and it's gotten rave reviews...from armchair mechanics and those who take the dealership as gospel. My X is currently running 20" Sonic Carbon Slipstreams that are in dire need of tires. I stumbled upon a set of 21" Uberturbines w/ 1K on them for only $500!! Even IF I can't use the wheels, they were still a killer deal that I could easily resell since ONE tire alone is more than I paid for the whole setup...but I'm determined to make them work unless someone has already tried and can prove beyond a doubt that it can't be done.

Y's have 5x114.3 while X's have 5x120, something easily solved with wheel adapters. I'm running 4x100 to 5x120 25mm adapters on my BMW E30, 8mm spacers on my MR2 and 35mm bolt-on spacers on my X5M. Point being they are reliable if installed properly AND the weight of the vehicle isn't the determining factor here since you can search for YouTube videos and see guys with their 10k brodozers on 26" wheels and guys who run rockcrawlers running upwards of 8" adapters/spacers for the sake of suspension clearance.

So far the biggest claim, unproven so far, is that Y wheels can't handle the curb weight of an X. The curb weight difference between a Y and an X is around 600lbs, meaning throw 3 people into a Y and you've got the curb weight of an X. I HIGHLY doubt that Tesla manufactured wheels that have such little tolerance that they'll shatter or something wild the FB group is implying. No, I will not be running these 21" wheels at the full GVWR (7 people and towing a 5k+ trailer), these are simply some summer daily wheels and the 20's will become winter beaters.

With all that said...has anyone actually tried it? I'm not looking for they heard no from their friends brothers cousin of the Tesla SC guy behind the counter said no simply because of them having a different bolt pattern. I'm also not interested in paying TLargo's $5k price for what are probably made in China knockoffs but everything thinks are top notch because he charges accordingly. REAL, actually tried and failed...and if so, why.

Below are pics of me grabbing the wheels in my commuter until the X gets delivered, www.willtheyfit.com to confirm they'll fit before and after adapters (TMC listing used as reference for specs) and lastly a picture of them in 22's (I couldn't find a pic of them in 21's on an X) for a visual.
Message_1656300820394.jpg
PhotoGrid_1656229949154.jpg
tesla-model-x-22-inch-uberturbine-wheels-tsv-satin-gray-black_7588b8ca-3f7e-48cf-aa60-d0d66d40...jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed. This thread is relevant to my obsessive need to ruin my cars with mods, and the 21" uberturbine is my favorite tesla wheel by a wide margin, but I'm too skeert to be the one to do it myself. Far too few people doing cool out of the box stuff on this platform

I cannot imagine why they wouldn't fit over the brakes, when any old low-offset 19 will pretty much fit. After that it's a question of a proper tire - and the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 comes in XL load range 265, 275, and 285/40-21, perfect "minus-1" from the factory 22's or +1 from the 20's, and a stretched tire is more efficient so...

I'd want to do square 9.5's just to keep rotation as an option, but the 10.5's would look awesome on the back of the X with its big fender wells.

You better not disappoint me. Do it. do it doitdoitdoit

Last edited:
I'm doing it, I'm doing it...waiting for adapters to come in the mail :-D I responded on another thread touching on the load ratings of the tires and the X is well within the limits. I've had a couple mention the wheel load ratings but I've yet to see hearsay and haven't seen a logical explanation why a fully loaded Y that'll weigh more than an X is fine, but an X with my GF and a couple kids in it means the wheels suddenly turns into the papermache and I'll go careening to my death the first turn I take at speed lol

Last edited:
Reactions: basilray
Where do you get your adapters? I know there are custom outfits out there but I've never actually had to do this for any of my BMW's since I've always just used extended studs and spacers if I needed to. Model Y Performance GAWR's add up to more than 6500lb. That's more than enough load capacity for a reasonably loaded Model X, and looks tire-limited to me (98 and 103 load index for the Performance tires). I think it'll be fine. Those wheels are heckin chonkers and more weight generally means more strong when it comes to cast aluminum alloys. They come certified pre-curbed on Model Y because they're stretched, low profile tires, but the X sizing will give a lot more cushion for the pushin. Send it!

Tire Size# of PassengersMaximum Towing CapacityMaximum Tongue Weight
19", 20" and 21"up to 33,500 lbs (1,588 kg)350 lbs (159 kg)
19" and 21"4 - 53,500 lbs (1,588 kg)350 lbs (159 kg)
20"4 - 52,300 lbs (1,043 kg)**230 lbs (104 kg)**
19"6 - 7*2000 lbs (907 kg)**200 lbs (91 kg)**
20"6 - 7*Towing not permitted-
21"6 - 7*1200 lbs (544 kg)**120 lbs (54 kg)**

Last edited:
Reactions: m5james
I don't recall what brand the 4x100 to 5x120 adapters that were running on our E30 but they've been on there for a better part of 3yrs and they've had zero issues. I'm also running 35mm spacers/adapters on my X5M for a few years and same thing of no issues. I'm running BLOX brand (bought off eBay) on the X5M and they're well made. We even got into an accident recently, someone turned into us and hit the bumper, fender and RF wheel...I checked torques, was still perfectly driveable for 3-4 months before we finally got an appt at the body shop.

Funny you say that...two are nicely curbed but they're matte black so a little filing and some PlastDip will hide it enough that it won't be seen until up close. I'm used to a little stretch on some of our cars...the GF is a different story since she's curbed the wheels on her 535 twice so she knows I'll have her ass is she curbs the X's wheels lol. Agreed on the weight but I really like the looks. LONG story short but we're letting go of the X5M and replacing it with the P100D, both have the same 5x120 (I'll need hubcentric rings) so I may also throw the forged 22's from the X5M on to see if they'll work...I haven't been able to find anyone running a 295/30 and 335/25 on an X though so I may be a first here as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richbot
I don't recall what brand the 4x100 to 5x120 adapters that were running on our E30 but they've been on there for a better part of 3yrs and they've had zero issues. I'm also running 35mm spacers/adapters on my X5M for a few years and same thing of no issues. I'm running BLOX brand (bought off eBay) on the X5M and they're well made. We even got into an accident recently, someone turned into us and hit the bumper, fender and RF wheel...I checked torques, was still perfectly driveable for 3-4 months before we finally got an appt at the body shop.

Funny you say that...two are nicely curbed but they're matte black so a little filing and some PlastDip will hide it enough that it won't be seen until up close. I'm used to a little stretch on some of our cars...the GF is a different story since she's curbed the wheels on her 535 twice so she knows I'll have her ass is she curbs the X's wheels lol. Agreed on the weight but I really like the looks. LONG story short but we're letting go of the X5M and replacing it with the P100D, both have the same 5x120 (I'll need hubcentric rings) so I may also throw the forged 22's from the X5M on to see if they'll work...I haven't been able to find anyone running a 295/30 and 335/25 on an X though so I may be a first here as well.

I think 295's would be too big for the fronts w/o spacers.

My winter wheels are 19's, and I went w/ 255/50's, and still ended up rubbing the ABS sensors on both sides. One had to get replaced. The SC re-ran both a little differently and said they bent one of the brackets to hold them out of the way.

Knowing that, I'd be leery of 295's even at a 30 aspect.

What offset were the 19's, and width? 265/50-19 is the factory-approved tire size on a 19x8.5 ET35, and they don't hit anything on that wheel. He's talking about using spacers by default because the X5M wheels are not even a little bit close to the "correct" offset for the front or rear of an X, but there's a lot of space up front and in back as the stock wheel/tire packages are tucked into the fenders a lot. I think a 20mm spacer would do the trick.

A 295/30-22 is the same height as a 265/35-22, give or take, so the width is going to be the big issue, but to my eye it looks like there's plenty of space to the outside and there's a lot of room in front of and behind for clearance to the fender liners too. The rears might be an issue though - there's some abrupt curve to the well going where it meets the falcon door - might need more like a 315/30

Either way we need photographs lol

Last edited:
What offset were the 19's, and width? 265/50-19 is the factory-approved tire size on a 19x8.5 ET35, and they don't hit anything on that wheel. He's talking about using spacers by default because the X5M wheels are not even a little bit close to the "correct" offset for the front or rear of an X, but there's a lot of space up front and in back as the stock wheel/tire packages are tucked into the fenders a lot.

A 295/30-22 is the same height as a 265/35-22, give or take, so the width is going to be the big issue, but to my eye it looks like there's plenty of space to the outside and there's a lot of room in front of and behind for clearance to the fender liners too. The rears might be an issue though - there's some abrupt curve to the well going where it meets the falcon door

Here's what my invoice says:
19 X8 5-120.00 38

I assume 38 based on that. I wouldn't have thought that 3mm difference would have been enough, but to be honest, until this very moment, I never thought about it and just assumed the 265/50/19 would have had enough clearance. I never heard any rubbing or odd noise that would have indicated there was an issue...but after a couple weeks I got a bunch of errors of systems being unavailable: ABS, Stability, Autopilot, Autopark, etc. Fortunately, the fix was cheap at $150 after tax and labor.

Use polymer centering rings, long story, but aluminum bad, polymer good, heh
I've got aluminum and some kind of plastic ones. I've had the aluminum ones bend or even bent them trying to remove them, but the plastic haven't been without issue either...the ones on my 740iL were so made to such tight tolerances that I had to use the lugnuts to slowly suck the wheel in, but after that they've been great.

I think 295's would be too big for the fronts w/o spacers.

My winter wheels are 19's, and I went w/ 255/50's, and still ended up rubbing the ABS sensors on both sides. One had to get replaced. The SC re-ran both a little differently and said they bent one of the brackets to hold them out of the way.

Knowing that, I'd be leery of 295's even at a 30 aspect.
I've plugged the specs into www.willtheyfit.com and the AC Forged wheels will sit more flush to the fender based on what the website says, but real world and clearing fender liners, suspension, etc doesn't always work out so we'll see. I swapped from a spring suspension to coilovers on my MR2, the coilovers were WAY thinner diameter, yet somehow things moved around just enough that I had to change from 5mm spacers to 8mm to clear the springs. I have yet to weight the X5M wheels vs the Uberturbines...something to add to my to-do list :D

What offset were the 19's, and width? 265/50-19 is the factory-approved tire size on a 19x8.5 ET35, and they don't hit anything on that wheel. He's talking about using spacers by default because the X5M wheels are not even a little bit close to the "correct" offset for the front or rear of an X, but there's a lot of space up front and in back as the stock wheel/tire packages are tucked into the fenders a lot. I think a 20mm spacer would do the trick.

A 295/30-22 is the same height as a 265/35-22, give or take, so the width is going to be the big issue, but to my eye it looks like there's plenty of space to the outside and there's a lot of room in front of and behind for clearance to the fender liners too. The rears might be an issue though - there's some abrupt curve to the well going where it meets the falcon door - might need more like a 315/30

Offsets of the stock 20" Sonic Carbon Slipstreams and the 21" Uberturbines are posted above in the screenshots. The Ubers will sit further in w/o the adapters, but a 20-25mm will put them nice and flush with the fenders.

I'm eager for photos as well lol. The cars still in NJ just waiting to get shipped over, but I've been ordering little stuff in the meantime...adapters, Dr ColorChip, red T badges, winter tires for the 20's, etc so I'm ready whenever the damn thing shows up lol.

BLOX or BONOSS, 5x120 to 5x114.3, 1" thick. Tires went from a 265/45/20 and a 274/45/20 to a 255/35/21 and 275/35/21. I forgot but these are the same brand I'm running on our E30 which went from 4x120 to 5x120.

The wheels have some stud reliefs machined into the wheels but they still stuck out like 5mm so I did have to shave the nipples off the tips of for clearance...took all of 5 min extra per axle.
20220724_132649_HDR.jpg

that'll do, pig. The factory MYP tires even look great, though I bet an X-sized 265/285/40-21 would look pretty great too but until then, enjoy your curb rash lol I saw a gray MYP on the highway today it was doing like 80mph and the front right had so much rash it looked like it had a time attack stripe on it