TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model Y - UK deliveries

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by WattDaF, Jan 5, 2020.

1. WattDaF

WattDaF Member

I’m looking getting a model3 (stuck between a lr and performance ) and was wondering if anyone has heard of when the model y will be released. as it will suit the family needs a bit more haha. I’ve heard some 2021 but also heard they are a bit ahead in production

2. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Crystal ball time.

Even a few months before Model 3 order book opened in UK, Tesla were saying end of year. It opened earlier in May, meaningful order quantities not until late August/Sep. I think that was nearly 2 years after US started getting theirs.

3. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

My guess for RHD Model Y here in the UK is late 2022...

• Like x 1
  4. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

Im guessing Q2 2021

Reason - guessing Y will start rolling out in April this year in US and Europe/UK will start to see them a year after. They have learnt a lot from the 3 so should be smooth sailing from here on.

5. mo.dilwar

mo.dilwar Member

Although the waiting is not fun, I reckon that the RHD/UK deliveries not arriving until many months after the first US inventory is a good thing.

Gives Tesla more time to iron out major and minor issues in the production line as well as build quality and fit and finish.

6. WattDaF

WattDaF Member

Pretty sound reasoning, will lease the m3 and hopefully by the time it finishes the y will be available and had any imperfections ironed out

• Funny x 1
  7. MaDProFF

MaDProFF Member

yeah like they ironed out all the problems with production in the time it took to finally land the UK one, in fact it seems the RHD version found a few problems of it's own.

I would be surprised to see Y models in UK before Q3 2021

• Funny x 1
  8. Fred42

Fred42 Member

That's pessimistic. Tesla might do better than that.

9. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

there is very little chance of that happening, model Y isn’t going to be out in volume until at least Q4 in the US.

Tesla slow down international expansion on purpose to maximise sales so they won’t be prioritising RHD before they have capitalised on the LHD.

There is also limitations on battery pack supplies that they need to expand with new models.

I think mid 2022 is a reasonable guess, if demand is not as high as expected then perhaps earlier.

• Like x 2
  10. ACarneiro

ACarneiro Active Member

Have they ever stuck to a planned schedule?
    (Ignoring Gigafactory 3, that insane build rate was due to the Chinese work ethics (let’s call it that))

• Like x 1
  11. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

I’d say realistic. RHD is always well down the list. Typically with every new model so far we’ve got our first deliveries roughly two years after the first USA cars. #elontime

• Like x 1
  12. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

2 years before New Zealand see's the Y

• Funny x 1
  13. CMc1

CMc1 supercharge.info editor

No one is mentioning GF4. Musk has already said Ys will be produced there. It would make more sense for them to produce RHD Ys at GF4 Berlin, for shipping reasons, opposed to sending them across the Atlantic.

• Like x 2
  14. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

Not just shipping. 10% import duty on cars from US. Tesla will be keen to supply ALL 3 and Y EU cars from Germany as soon as possible.
    I know we will not be in the EU by then but assuming parity for now. It is quite possible that we will have to wait for GF4.
    On the other hand we/Ireland are the only significant RHD market in Europe so will Tesla choose to make all the RHD vehicles in one location initially? Germany is not the best place to ship to Australia and Japan etc so it could be that We get supply from the US but the rest of europe is supplied from Germany.

• Like x 1
  15. pgkevet

pgkevet Active Member

2yrs is a long time ..there may well be other manufacturer models out there by then albeit without their own charger network and dysfuctional driver aids. I really, really fancy the roadster but guess that'll be 3 yrs and if there hasn't been a sea change in customer service then I'll look elsewhere. In reality things like super-fast 0-60 times aren't all that useful to me apart from showing off. Sub7secs would do fine. It's the roadster touted 600mile range and general look I'm after. Or a way longer range taycan.

16. tess19

tess19 Member

By the sound of the above, we will get the RHD cybertruck in 2030

17. drewpost

drewpost Member

I’ll be surprised if we get it over here. It’s so large as to be impractical with our road sizes (and parking space sizes!)

• Like x 3
  18. m-i-l

m-i-l Member

The Cybertruck seems to be being marketed as a post-apocalypse truck for survivalists to use if/when society breaks down, so I guess we'll have to see how the next few months go to see if we'll get it in the UK:)

As for Model Y, I reckon 2 years after the US, so it depends on when it comes out in the US. Possibly in the US mid/late 2020 and so UK mid/late 2022.

• Funny x 2
  19. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

At current rate, Tesla may miss that boat

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  20. tess19

tess19 Member

Really interested in the Y and would buy one now if available. Alas, we have to wait 2 years. I doubt German GF would be build and operation by then. If the other german manufacturers have anything to do with that.