Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you mean. At base LR spec the two are the same price at the moment due to the recent price rise of the M3. Adding 19” wheels will make the M3 more expensive. Colour, interior options and EAP are the same price on the M3 and MY.
I thought the 3 and Y were 5k difference not a few hundred...that price increase, makes the Model Y good value in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: VX Foxy
I thought the 3 and Y were 5k difference not a few hundred...that price increase, makes the Model Y good value in my opinion.
given the lessons Tesla learned from making the model 3 it is quite possible a Y costs less to build than an M3 even before they go to structural battery. Yes it has a bit more steel and aluminium in it but more efficient production engineering could easily wipe that out. Sandy Monroe identified quite a few improvements when when he did a tear down vs the M3. Of course some of that may have been incorporated into the MiC M3 already.

given the lessons Tesla learned from making the model 3 it is quite possible a Y costs less to build than an M3 even before they go to structural battery. Yes it has a bit more steel and aluminium in it but more efficient production engineering could easily wipe that out. Sandy Monroe identified quite a few improvements when when he did a tear down vs the M3. Of course some of that may have been incorporated into the MiC M3 already.
It’s possible it could be cheaper right now but it’s unlikely to be like that for long term when they could use the same process and less material.

The pricing in every other country is cheaper for the 3, the Y pricing just hasn’t been increased yet most likely due to the costs already being accounted.

It makes business sense for them to have a higher price for the Y so I fully expect the LR Y to increase in the next few months

It’s possible it could be cheaper right now but it’s unlikely to be like that for long term when they could use the same process and less material.

The pricing in every other country is cheaper for the 3, the Y pricing just hasn’t been increased yet most likely due to the costs already being accounted.

It makes business sense for them to have a higher price for the Y so I fully expect the LR Y to increase in the next few months
companies sell things based on what they can get for them. I was not suggesting long term the Y would cost less/the same as the 3 I agree that is an anomaly just saying that cost to build wise there may not be much in it.
I think it is likely they have just boosted the price of the car they don't have to push people towards the one they do have. Nice market position to be in that you can do that without being concerned you are driving customers away altogether!