Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do get what you're saying, and I've always used PCP in the past, but the current environment is very strange in the short-term (the X5 I'm part-exing is worth more than I paid for it 10 months ago) but (for me) the delta in payments between lease and PCP is just over £12k. Now, the balloon on the PCP at the end of 4 years does feel very low and it may be that the equity in the car is worth more than £12k over balloon at the end of the term and I'd lose out.

When I bought the X5 there was nothing in it in between the lease and PCP monthlies, and I've seen the benefit of the current market, so I get the argument for PCP over lease (especially with no road tax benefits on a BEV) but I guess what it comes down to here is lower upfront monthly costs vs. the added flexibility the PCP brings and the ability to benefit from any valuation uplift throughout the term or at the end. All that being said, if you're adding options to the car I'd say you'd be better off with PCP. We talked before about you taking the 20" wheel and seeing the benefit in residuals at the end, whereas I'd be paying £40pm for no real benefit thereby representing a true cost to me.
I guess at least you know exactly how much a lease is going to cost with zero doubt. How much is the lease per month? I can't see lease option for MY on Tesla site.

I think the sweet spot for trading in a PCP or loaned Tesla is around 2 years, and I think Tesla trade in values will always be very strong, because they want you to buy another car. For me 4 years is an incredibly long time to be stuck in a car with virtually no way out, in fact even 3 years is a long time considering how often Tesla update the car's spec. Ultimately I'm confident that the absolute worse case scenario is I could lose as much as it would have cost to lease, but with huge possibility for it to cost significantly less.

Reactions: KCH1984
I’ve just specced up the same car on the Tesla website with a PCP based on the same down payment / duration / annual mileage and it would cost me over £200 more than I am paying on my lease and the lease costs include full maintenance.

I’d really love to see the your maths on how you can make the costs £400 pm? Your profile for duration and annual mileage is more than likely
PCP/loan isn’t more expensive, it works out massively cheaper in the long term, as you build up equity in the car which can then be released by selling or trading in the car.

Even mine which I’ve only had for 6 months has cost me under £400pm total.
I’ve just specced up the same car on the Tesla website with a PCP based on the same down payment / duration / annual mileage and it would cost me over £200 more per month than I am paying on my lease and the lease costs include full maintenance.

I’d really love to see the your maths on how you can make the costs £400 pm? Your profile for duration and annual mileage is more than likely totally difference, but that’s still a huge difference? I can only assume you’re taking into account future sale value / equity?

I’ve just specced up the same car on the Tesla website with a PCP based on the same down payment / duration / annual mileage and it would cost me over £200 more than I am paying on my lease and the lease costs include full maintenance.

I’d really love to see the your maths on how you can make the costs £400 pm? Your profile for duration and annual mileage is more than likely

I’ve just specced up the same car on the Tesla website with a PCP based on the same down payment / duration / annual mileage and it would cost me over £200 more per month than I am paying on my lease and the lease costs include full maintenance.

I’d really love to see the your maths on how you can make the costs £400 pm? Your profile for duration and annual mileage is more than likely totally difference, but that’s still a huge difference? I can only assume you’re taking into account future sale value / equity?
Of course, future sale value/equity is vital in the calculations. I've only lost £2300 on it in 6 months, which is under £400pm.

Others are trading in 2 year old M3s for around £1k-£2k less than they paid for it, so with the interest they've paid that's around £80pm-£120pm that it has cost them.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Of course, future sale value/equity is vital in the calculations. I've only lost £2300 on it in 6 months, which is under £400pm.

Others are trading in 2 year old M3s for around £1k-£2k less than they paid for it, so with the interest they've paid that's around £80pm-£120pm that it has cost them.
I bought my LR with cash and Tesla are giving me £400 back for it on top of the full purchase price after 6 months and 7500 miles

Reactions: teaston
I guess at least you know exactly how much a lease is going to cost with zero doubt. How much is the lease per month? I can't see lease option for MY on Tesla site.

I think the sweet spot for trading in a PCP or loaned Tesla is around 2 years, and I think Tesla trade in values will always be very strong, because they want you to buy another car. For me 4 years is an incredibly long time to be stuck in a car with virtually no way out, in fact even 3 years is a long time considering how often Tesla update the car's spec. Ultimately I'm confident that the absolute worse case scenario is I could lose as much as it would have cost to lease, but with huge possibility for it to cost significantly less.
£535pm (1+47) 10k miles. Pretty comparable to the business contract hire rates Tesla offer but yes, they don’t currently have PCH directly on the Model Y. I’m not leasing as a company car, but I am getting a preferential rate through my employer. If I didn’t have access to that rate, I would likely have went PCP as the residuals on the Tesla’s have held up well since the M3 was launched.

£535pm (1+47) 10k miles. Pretty comparable to the business contract hire rates Tesla offer but yes, they don’t currently have PCH directly on the Model Y. I’m not leasing as a company car, but I am getting a preferential rate through my employer. If I didn’t have access to that rate, I would likely have went PCP as the residuals on the Tesla’s have held up well since the M3 was launched.
Wow that is good, but I guess VAT free? PCH deals on leasing.com are at least £200pm more than that!

Hi All,

Ordered Model Y-LR on the 23rd March, only extra I went with was Midnight Blue, see too many white ones!

I've had my RN number and lease company said delivery is around July (not sure how accurate that is!) so now the wait begins!

just to check the RN number there is no tracking delivery from that, correct?

Is anyone thinking of installing a tow hitch on the MY (in the UK obviously)? Reading the article below it might not be 'type-approved' yet so may be illegal. On the otherhand I can only assume that Tesla would only install only if they have passed regulations. I wonder if someone knows the answer....

I bought my LR with cash and Tesla are giving me £400 back for it on top of the full purchase price after 6 months and 7500 miles
Thanks mental.

I leased my last M3P - loved it and it was _way_ cheaper at the time, however I do wish I have PCP'd it - as I'm fairly certain they sold it on for £2k less than the purchase price after 2 years (£125 pm).

This time I'm looking at a company EV lease due to the huge income tax saving. The difference is huge (for my tax bracket - over half off compared to PCP with no deposit, and all insurance paid!) - but I hate not owning the car after the last experience

Anyone compare a MY PCP vs company EV lease? Obvious income impacts the monthly's hugely at the moment.

Reactions: teaston
Is anyone thinking of installing a tow hitch on the MY (in the UK obviously)? Reading the article below it might not be 'type-approved' yet so may be illegal. On the otherhand I can only assume that Tesla would only install only if they have passed regulations. I wonder if someone knows the answer....

The Teslas with the Tesla towing kit (nearly all MX, M3 with the towing pack and all MY with the Tesla made kit, but no MS can tow), are all type approved, however it is worth checking the limits.

Hi All,

Ordered Model Y-LR on the 23rd March, only extra I went with was Midnight Blue, see too many white ones!

I've had my RN number and lease company said delivery is around July (not sure how accurate that is!) so now the wait begins!

just to check the RN number there is no tracking delivery from that, correct?
After we did the test drive, I told the SA the spec MYLR Red Black Gemini and he said to me July. The delivery estimate on the app is May 8th to June 5th. May 8th would require a shipping date of 27th March and seeing as there is no VIN that is unlikely. Early June would presume a build in April. We do know however that Tesla have a bit of a love of cramming deliveries into the end of the Quarter, those cars ship Mid May (assuming 6 week shipping).

The Giga Shanghai has been closed, but it's 5pm on Thursday over there so hopefully the 4 days of closure will be over and the production will start. Maybe they will make the Red and Blue ones first!!

After we did the test drive, I told the SA the spec MYLR Red Black Gemini and he said to me July. The delivery estimate on the app is May 8th to June 5th. May 8th would require a shipping date of 27th March and seeing as there is no VIN that is unlikely. Early June would presume a build in April. We do know however that Tesla have a bit of a love of cramming deliveries into the end of the Quarter, those cars ship Mid May (assuming 6 week shipping).

The Giga Shanghai has been closed, but it's 5pm on Thursday over there so hopefully the 4 days of closure will be over and the production will start. Maybe they will make the Red and Blue ones first!!

Blue. They need to prioritise blue MYs :)

I'm also in the May 8th to June 5th estimated delivery window, with a trade in offer that expires on May 27th. Seeing as I can drive nowhere for the next few weeks as I am hobbling around with a fractured foot, my mileage is not going to increase much over that period, so hopefully my trade in offer stays whole if they can't deliver before May 27th.

Reactions: WhiteHartMart

I thought it was closed until at least April 5th?

Looks like you’re right, Tesla workers can resume whilst the west side of the city is under lockdown (April 1-5)

They split the city in two. I think the object was to reduce the impact on the ports and industry. They did try to keep the workers onsite, but they realised they didn't have enough provisions!